Water Pills... worth it? waste of time?

Options
Hello!!!!

So problem here, I am going to the beach in 3 days!!! But I just want to look as lean as possible. I have hit close to my goal weight, but am feeling a little bloated.

Has anyone used these water pills before? Diurex or something similar? Did you notice a difference? I am not looking for this to be a long time, quick weight loss thing, just something to decrease bloat for a couple of days.

Is it worth it? Any weird side effects?

Thanks!
Amanda

Replies

• ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i only use them when i'm on my period and they definitely help reduce the bloat! the only problem i have, is that while they do help me go number 1, they sometimes get in the way of me going number 2 which sometimes makes me uncomfortable.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Anytime you drink anything you will pee like crazy, plus if you stop taking them and drink something the bloat comes right back
  • droogievesch
    droogievesch Posts: 202
    Options
    What helped me lose bloat (over 5lbs of it) was 60 oz water, 1 Tbsp cranberry juice, 2 TBSP lemon juice, and a "detox" tea bag. Drink that mixture every day.

I have no experience with water pills at all, but I do know cutting out salty foods will help decrease water retention.
  • amy0975
    amy0975 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I take a prescription diuretic daily. I have used the otc pills before. They work pretty good. I have never had any side effects from them. If you are looking for a short term slim down they are great. I tend to swell in my hands, face and belly. The water pills help tremendously for that.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I've taken them when I am on my period so I don't feel so bloated, and the do help my jeans fit better.........but as has been said, they make me pee like crazy. Which can be annoying.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Watermelon is a natural diuretic.:)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water helps to get rid of water. And watch your sodium intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Do you not want to just drink water?
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    if you need more water in your body drink more water, don't take a pill for it.
  • AtPadilla
    AtPadilla Posts: 9
    Options
    Water pills do not give you more water, from what I understand they express sodium from your body which also expresses some water from your body. I drink the recommended water amout a day, I work out all the time, I eat just about 90% great..

I am just feeling bloated, wanted some input on these diuretics!

Thanks!
  • AtPadilla
    AtPadilla Posts: 9
    Options
    I have been cramming watermelon! Love that stuff!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I like the Diurex pills; I use them when I have too much sodium (my feet swell so severely that I can't even get my shoes on) and have found that they really help when I overdo it on a workout (and my muscles are painful and actually visibly swollen). I don't know how much it would help for your purposes, but I can say that they are effective.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i havent been on any of those pills but i can say that after a week of watching my sodium intake and trying to get it as close to 2500 or less a day as possible the swelling/bloat that i normally have went away after that first week. my flats that were normally tight fit loosely after that. you could try the natural way too.
  • jbrainz69
    jbrainz69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    so this is kind of weird I took my first two water pills and I have only went pee twice I took them 5 hours ago. Since I took them I have drank 25 ounces of fluid! I'm just wondering why I'm not having to pee I thought it was kind of weird any suggestions?