Fitbit one and exercise

I just started working out but my question is I log my exercise on mfp but fit bit includes my steps. I only log stuff like aerobics or running etc. so is it a huge difference it adds steps too? I don't see how running however many steps is the same as walking so I figured that's why I'd log it as running?

Replies

• countrylove12
    countrylove12 Posts: 53 Member
    You can link your FitBit with MFP. Once linked track your food on MFP and your exercise on FitBit and it will automatically link with one another. It's actually really nice to have that.
  • lakestral
    lakestral Posts: 2 Member
    Is your logging your fitbit recorded calories correctly? Mine keeps putting 0.
  • Hessmomma89
    Hessmomma89 Posts: 13 Member
    Maybe I didn't ask right... Do I still log a run or Zumba whatever even though I get steps for it
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Maybe I didn't ask right... Do I still log a run or Zumba whatever even though I get steps for it

I've been wondering this myself. I've just been letting Fitbit determine my exercise calories but I wonder if that's an underestimate?
  • Your fitbit will log your steps, so if you also put in zumba, that is like double dipping. Take your fitbit off when you do your zumba, and then log zumba into mfp.. It will then (if synced correctly) also add it to your fit bit.
    Someone may come along and correct this. lol.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 651 Member
    My understanding is that if you log your excercise in MFP it will sync that as an activity in Fitbit. When you log the activity it over rides the calories burned from the fitbit. I have worn my fitbit when I run, but I also have worn my heart rate monitor and use the HRM to calculate the calories burned. I log that excercise in MFP so the daily calorie burn that fitbit presents includes the HRM calculation and not fitbit monitor. But the step count gets logged in the daily summary.

Hope this is clear.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    I wear my HRM and log my "official" exercise in myself.
    Your Fitbit Exercise will adjust accordingly. Look at your Fitbit Exercise Calories pre loging exercise then put in your Exercise. It will drop.

I love that! So convenient.

I personally stopped wearing my HRM unless I am doing something like Barre or Yoga. I figure the Fitbit counts calories for me and I KNOW it will be less calories than I probably burned but then I can't over eat LOL
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    To correct comment above - there is NO double dipping if you have them synced.

You log start time and duration.

For walking and running logged on MFP and synced over as an activity, Fitibit's calorie count will be replaced with your manually entered one.
    Walking should be accurate enough, running on treadmill or flat should be too. If not - then you have the stride length wrong on Fitbit.
    For running outside, inclines and changes in stride length can make their estimate off somewhat, depending on what and how much you do.

If you manually log walking or running on Fitbit directly, you replace steps, miles, and calories with your entry.

Any other activity, steps and usually miles is kept, calories is only replaced.

As long as you enter the time correctly - no double dipping.