What was your typical diet before you lost weight?

Options
How were you eating up until you hit your highest weight? How is it different from your diet now?
Also, please include you daily exercise before and after.

Replies

• oarngesi
    oarngesi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was eating fast food atleast twice a day all kinds of junkfood inbetween, and hardly ever drinking plain water. Constantly after work i would stop off and buy a gatorade and receese which would both be on sale if you bought 2 so i would end up eating 2 king size receese and 2 gatorade. My favorite meal was usually going to famous daves and getting the ultimate burger fries and a side of macincheese with three or four refills of soda, that was over 3000 calories and only one meal. After getting away from eating that the weight dropped off quick for about the first month and settled around 2pounds a week after that. Since i started I'm feeling better the scale says I'm losing I'm saving money by eating in.
  • fitcrt
    fitcrt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was eating healthy foods, but too much of them, I would have 2nds at dinner & more snacks than I should - I was not controlling my portion sizes, just eating how ever much I wanted. Now, I am eating the same foods but controlling the amounts. I have always walked during my lunch breaks (before & now) & would exercise at home maybe once or twice a week. Now I am exercising at home 5 times each week & I still take walks during my lunch break when I can. For me it's all about portion control, I really enjoy eating & have to stop myself.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Pasta, beans and rice, corn chips, more pasta. McDonald's grilled chicken, large fries and large coke. Gross. I feel so much better now. Did I mention pasta?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Not much different from now, only with way more chocolate.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same as now, just more of it.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I honestly can't remember how I was eating before, but whatever it was, there was too much of it!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I pretty much ate mindlessly, all the time, whatever was around me. I really haven't changed what I ate, just eat mindfully now because I track everything. I've always exercised sporadically, according to what's going on in my life at the time.
  • ElevatorLady
    ElevatorLady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Blergh, my sweet tooth has always been my weak spot. While pregnant, I got in the habit of dessert at every meal. Now I almost never have desserts, and I've learned to control my portions better, too. I've also cut out most carb-heavy stuff like bread, rice, and pasta. I miss pasta!
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Similar types of food, good homemade stuff, but bigger portions, not paying attention to how much butter, olive oil and cheese I was adding. Grazing on snacks in the kitchen 3-5 times daily at about 150 calories each time. Eating junky cheap food from 7-11 as a "reward" for any sort of tough day. Night eating, not drinking nearly enough water. Using food for comfort or for entertainment while watching TV.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    lots of fast food, I use to stop by Mcdonalds every day for lunch, now maybe once or twice a week. I use to eat hamburger helper, pizzas, frozen lasagna, fried chicken from Food Lion where I worked. Now if I don't have time to make a meal we eat lean cruisine meals or weight watcher meals. I never use to back off when I had eaten too much at another meal. Now I count calories and know when to back off and have a light dinner.

I use to eat a lot of fruit but ate too much of It which was a lot of calories. I use to eat homemade spaghetti with lots of meat. Now I weigh the meat if I use meat. It is ok with mushrooms,onions and the sauce. I also would eat at least 1/2 a pizza, now 2 slices and I freeze the rest. Yep, I definitely have chosen a different way of eating. oh yes, I ask myself if I am stressed or if I am hungry, being aware has made me wait it out and do some problem solving, much better than eating, getting my life back. It has taken some courage. It is easier to eat than deal. But I like the results when I take care of myself.
  • lanajanewoolf
    lanajanewoolf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I actually "exercised" a lot while gaining weight and before losing weight. Exercised in inverted commas because it didn't seem like exercise. I cycled about 30 km a day, but it is something I love and i got to sleep in because it was quicker cycling 15km to work (and 15km back) than navigating inner city traffic or public transport. I also enjoyed swimming about 8 km a week and went on the odd hike etc. So, my weight loss is pretty much all about my diet. My diet was reasonably good. Lots of fresh food, vegetables, brown rice and the like. From what I can gather, the main issues for me was carbs (oh the bread addiction) lots of full cream organic butter, lots of cheeses, and lots of chocolate. Also my so called healthy eating had lots of extra calories, like my super yummy granola made with butter and maple syrup, and lots of dried fruits and lots of nuts etc. I had no idea that nuts had so many fats, or that dried fruit had so much sugar. That juiced fruit smoothies that I made were so full of calories - I was eating several sugary fruits in one glass of juice. My portion sizes were way too big and I was eating more times a day than I needed to. Eating like this, even with the exercise, I put on more than just over 30kg. Now days, I eat mostly protein and vegetables and some oils. I pretty much stick to a paleo / clean diet. I have the occasional 3 pieces of dark chocolate, but certainly not a block. No bread (or only very very occasionally), generally no processed carbs like rice or pasta (although I have 25g of oats each morning with a grated pear, cinnamon power and calcium fortified soy milk) no butter few dried fruits or nuts. (although I eat fresh fruit through out the day) My lunch and dinner is overwhelmingly fresh salads and veg and chicken or salmon steamed. I also enjoy lots of different herb teas through out the day, which not only help keep me hydrated, but taste awesome. Also, I have upped my exercise, not for the weight loss but for the enjoyment of being a sporty person. Now I walk more, and am more likely to organise catch up with friends while playing soccer or basketball etc. Still cycle and swim.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Just enough over my maintenance that I put on ~20 pounds in a year's time. I did the math, and it's surprising how just a little bit (like 250 calories) per day too much (every single day, probably) adds up on the scale. Outside of being pregnant, I've always been "average" weight in the 130's with no calorie counting.

Well, 3 years of breast feeding a child, and I think I got too comfortable eating that extra 250 a day. Even after he weaned, I simply "forgot" what was a regular amount of food for me. Oops :ohwell: :embarassed: Almost back to "regular" me.

As far as exercise, I've always been lightly/moderately active. Walks/bike rides with the kids to the park, house cleaning and child rearing, etc. always kept me on my toes. The only thing I added was a deliberate plan to get some strength training 3x a week. Oh, and a Fitbit to make sure I keep up with my steps, now that the kids are school aged, I need to make sure to get my daily walking and jogging "me" time during the day.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Before mending my ways, I was having massive 10'000 calorie plus binges on an almost daily basis and wanting to disappear, I did some walking and sometimes swimming. I was extremely depressed and constantly craving more food and feeling hungry. My stomach was always growling away as if had not eaten for days.

Now I follow a paleo style Ketogenic way of eating with a calorie deficit and I still do as much walking as I can manage which is a bit more than before. I have not been swimming for a while as pool got very busy. I no longer get cravings for junk food and My stomach is lovely and quiet. I only get hungry when I am due a meal.:bigsmile:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I used way too much cheese on my meals like 5-6 nights per week, looking back I think that was just my M.O. for most recipes...make the recipe then add a huge layer of shredded cheese. I didn't stop to think about it or realize it was such a hit to my calories.

A typical day for me meant 1 can of diet soda with lunch and dinner and NO water.

I really never snacked, and haven't ever been one for watching TV & eating but I would frequently turn to food in times of boredom or anxiety. When my ex was watching Futurama and a Taco Bell commercial aired, it was too easy to say "hey let's go get a Gordita" and then add the infamous 4th meal to my day :-/

I had a job that was VERY stressful from 2007-2011, and even though my "weight loss journey" started in 2008 and I did make some headway (45 lb loss) prior to joining MFP and losing the next 89 lb...I was really bad about eating a very healthy lunch like a salad I packed the night before, or cucumbers & carrots with hummus and maybe some fresh fruit...but then feeling mega stressed when I got off work, and grabbing a mocha, latte, or frappucino at Starbucks. When my ex worked late by even 1-2 hrs, I would often tide myself over with a McDouble or a candy bar (which I got every time I went grocery shopping), then eat a normal dinner which almost ALWAYS included dessert.

My breakfasts weren't great either. Cereal measured as "a bowl" (probably 2.5 servings most of the time) and 2% milk, accompanied by coffee with flavored creamer and sometimes juice as well. I was so ignorant about calories, I really think if you had shown me my current breakfasts (egg taco, fridge oats, egg & toast, vegan pancakes) I would think all of them were way "worse for you" and higher calorie than what I used to eat.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Lots of fast food, food in general, wine, and yummy stuff like donuts, brownies, cake, cup cakes, pie, cookies, ect..... It's the same now just a lot less of it lol
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention exercise. Honestly I was never that lazy and I am not THAT active now.

Most of my teens and early to mid 20's I worked at least part-time in retail (even if full-time in an office) so there were hours per day of standing, walking, vacuuming, stocking shelves, etc. And I have always been incredibly hyper and energetic so most times around the house I will get up 10 times per hour to clean something, walk from room to room, tend to a pet (when I had pets), etc. Weekends were always been pretty active for me with 5-6 hours of walking around estate sales, garage sales, randomly painting rooms of my house by hand, etc.

During my early stage of weight loss (2008-2011) I was probably the MOST active, even though my diet still kind of sucked. I walked 3-5 miles almost every night, and not slow...but getting my heart rate up and really moving.

Since 2012 when I met my current husband I have been a little less active through the week days. Mainly I go for walks, but they aren't usually 4 miles...more like 2 miles and less. I get the majority of my exercise on weekends, hiking, biking, swimming, and longer walks...and ALWAYS lots of sight seeing on our frequent weekend trips, and errands/cleaning (many hours of each) on laid back weekends. I am not a gym person or weight lifter. That may change eventually but for now I'm honestly pretty pleased with things.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I drank a lot more Starbucks lattés (still have them but once per month vs twice or thrice/week) and would have regular coffee with cream ever other day that wasn't a Starbucks day; bigger portions (I would share two apps with hubby, have a full entrée, dessert, and two to for drinks) and would snack before dinner and before dinner.

Now, i may have two coffees per week, I may have one drink if we go out for dinner which we now do maybe twice per month rather than three times per week, I dont snack between meals and I watch the calories when buying food (100cal hot dogs vs 300call hotdogs)
  • sdelo7
    sdelo7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just larger quantities. I didn't eat junk food or drink cola. No white bread/pasta/processed foods. Whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies but I did and still do love a nice fresh bagel or french bread. Home cooked meals mostly. Coffee in the morning - no sugar - and water during the day. A glass of wine a few times a week.

My eating habits have not changes much, mostly reduced the portion size and a lot less bread. I have also reduced wine to 1 or 2 glasses a week, usually on weekends.

I used to spin once a week, dance class once a week, lots of walking, tennis and golf every so often. Now I target minimum 5 days a week of high intensity cardio plus some weights.

I love to eat. I miss the antipasto dinner : salami, prosciutto, olives, patés etc... with a nice crusty bread and a great bottle of wine. Right now that is off limits, will bring it back occasionally when my weight loss goals have been met.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i lost my dogs so stopped doing all the walks n stuff i used to do with them .. i ate too much bread products .. bagels,wraps,all sorts of stuff i shouldn't .. whatever was reduced in the supermarket id usually buy and consume.
    So i stopped eating the bread.. i stopped drinking 20 plus cups of normal tea with milk .. i stopped eating processed foods… i stopped eating pasta … i switched to green teas … brown rice … crushed seeds … quinoa in my salads .. oddly I've always had salads with every meal ..
    My downfall is still 6pints when i go out on the odd occasion but mainly now i feel great ..im not bloated and the weights coming off slowly .. i exercise at work now because i can .. lol on my days off i either use them as my rest days or i hop on the bike and do a few miles … I've always been a good walker as i used to be a postman years ago ..
    Now I'm on track to get below the elusive 12 stone marker and feeling better than ever
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Before exercise: zilch

Before food examples:

-Little fruit, maybe the occasional apple or banana. Hated berries.
    -Didn't get a lot of fibre.
    -Usually I skipped breakfast.
    -1 block of chocolate in a sitting. Whole packets of snack cheese like babybel.
    -Potato chips.
    -Full fat milk.
    -White rice, large serves with curry.
    -Toasted sandwiches with white bread, ham and cheese and full fat butte-2 at a time. Cups of tea with milk & 2 sugars.
    -Pasta for dinner- very large, deep bowls with home made bolognese sauce. With parmesan and sometimes garlic bread.
    -Large steak, lots of fried chips, veggies.
    -large serve of roast meat, lots of roasted veggies in oil, steamed veggies.
    -Kebabs, no salad.
    -Lots of fruit juices and soft drinks, iced tea etc.
    -Ice cream-large bowl serves.
    -Sometimes I'd get 15 fried pork dumplings and a coke for lunch.
    -Subway-meatball with tasty cheese, toasted. White bread. No salad.
    -McDonalds -large triple cheeseburger meal, 6 pack nuggets.
    -Red Rooster for lunch- hawaiian pack with coke-1200 calories.
    -weekends were like nando's, bacon and eggs, cake, etc.

Now:
    Exercise: 3-4 hours a week. Training for a half marathon.

-Breakfast every day-usually 300 calories. E.g cereal, oats, smoothies, fruit, yogurt, eggs, toast.
    -2-5 pieces of fruit a day, I eat berries now.
    -I don't drink store bought juices like oj etc, mainly just water, but soft drinks when I go out occasionally.
    -Steamed veggies more so than roasted.
    -Still eat chocolate regularly but not a block at a time.
    -Still eat ice cream, I weigh my portions.
    -More chicken & tuna.
    -Home made treats, nuts, popcorn, rice crackers.
    -Wholemeal bread, brown rice.
    -No butter.
    -Kebabs are a lot less often, but will still enjoy one on occasion.
    -Toasted sandwiches-if it fits. Less cheese & ham, and I use wholemeal bread instead.
    -Green tea, or Natvia instead of sugar in normal tea.
    -Mcdonalds is rare, but I fit in into my calories if I want it. Same with Red rooster.
    -I usually get Subway but chicken or turkey with no cheese, salt, sauce etc. I also get lettuce and carrot on the subs, whereas before I hated all that.
    -Smaller portions of pasta, roasts etc.