Can I go swimming with a heart rate monitor on?

Options
I bought the "Target K902 Heart Rate Monitor Watch" today, it says it's water resistant but i'm not entirely sure if i'd be able to go swimming in it!

Anyone got a clue? :)

Replies

• dennpars
    dennpars Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go swimming with it on. The water resistance means you can drop it in a puddle or wear it in the rain, but I doubt they would recommend using it to monitor heart rate while swimming.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    It should give you a depth that the resistance is good for in the instruction manual. I think my Polar FT-7 is water resistant to 30m (~98ft). It is also stamped on the monitor part of my chest band. That is the depth that it can be submerged and not be damaged by water. If it is only 10ft or so, stay on the surface of the water (don't dive).

I know many people that use their Polar HRM's while swimming, but I am not familiar with your model.
  • rgalloway49
    rgalloway49 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Usually it would say water resistant to 25m, which means you could go to that depth in water and it should be fine. Since you probably won't be swimming that deep you should be okay.
  • JustJessie
    JustJessie Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There are some out there that you can wear in the pool but they usually will specifically say for swimming or give you a depth of how far you can take it down. I wouldn't wear one that just says water resistant. That would indicate more that it would be safe if you were running in the rain.
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I use my Polar F6 all the time when I swim!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    depends, water proof means you can, water resistant meant you shouldn't. You can with Polar, I know that, but some you can't.
  • abbyrowley
    Options
    yeah i thought you might not be able to as it didn't say any depth

i'll just have to stick to mfp calculations and hope i don't go over! :(
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    the small print for a Polar FT4 says its waterproof to 30m but to 'not press any buttons whilst in the water', so water resistance and proofing will vary a lot between manufacturers and even between models for one manufacturer.