Walking without pain.

Options
So, funny story. Except it wasn't that hilarious to me…

I went for a walk tonight, which used to be no big deal even when I was 30lbs heavier. But tonight, when I went out with the dog, the sides of my feet started to ache. At first, I was like 'Hey, whatever, it's been a few days.' But the further I got, the worse my feet started to hurt.

To the point where I wanted to call my dad to come pick us up. I pretty much had to coax myself home--that's how bad my feet hurt.

As for shoes, they're fairly new, but I've gone out in them before. I have special insoles to cushion my feet, and I wasn't walking quickly or anything out of the usual. It was one of those 'I have a fitbit, let's get the 10k steps in before dinner' type of walks.

But as I lay here in bed now, typing to the internet, my feet are still aching on the sides.

I take potassium, magnesium, biotin, calcium, vitamin d3, a probiotic--likely something else that I can't remember. Regardless, I'm well vitamin'd up. And I only drink water. And a lot of it.

So I have no idea what's going on with my feet. And figured I'd ask if anyone else has had something similar. And if it's a 'keep going' or a 'stop doing that' kind of thing. I don't want to be completely unable to walk for a while, but I also don't want to have to give up exercise. O.o

Any thoughts, questions, advice, please! :)

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Where exactly is the pain? Inner part of arch? outer top side of foot? inner ankle?

What other foot issues do you have (flat arches, bunions, etc)?

Do you not eat greens or do you just don't log them?
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Consult a podiatrist. No one here is in any position to help you..
  • stephylynn190
    stephylynn190 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If it hurts that bad then I would ice it and take ibuprofen tonight. If it still hurts tomorrow then see a Dr. I had the same thing happen to me a couple months ago and it turned out I had stress fractures all throughout my foot. It's not a good idea to ignore really intense pain like that.
  • eversosquidly
    eversosquidly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Okay, so, consulting a podiatrist requires money that I don't have. I honestly cannot fathom why so many people on this site jump immediately to consulting doctors. It's mildly fascinating. I mean, thank you for your opinion, but I'm sure other people have had similar experiences.

I tried to roll out my foot a little bit. I attempted some stretching and some ice at the same time. I'll go ahead and take ibuprofen. If it gets worse, I'll head to the family chiropractor, and then if it doesn't go away for a while, I'll hit up a clinic or something.

It's on the arch on the outside of my feet. No ankle, not the top. Outside of my feet, on the arch--where the pinky toe is. If you run your finger down the length of the outside of your foot where your pinky toe is, it's right in the middle between my toe and my heel. A friend asked about my pronation, and we realized I underpronate. Which I still don't know how to fix that. But at least we know that's a thing.

Aaaand. I do eat vegetables. Usually I am all about the broccoli. But I haven't been fully logging lately. I'll try to add more green stuff to my diet. You caught me. I had cucumbers tonight. Do they count? :)

And I don't think I have other foot problems? I mean. I'm overweight, but I've never had a problem before.
  • fangedneko
    Options
    Okay, so, consulting a podiatrist requires money that I don't have. I honestly cannot fathom why so many people on this site jump immediately to consulting doctors. It's mildly fascinating. I mean, thank you for your opinion, but I'm sure other people have had similar experiences.

The only way to give an informed medical opinion on this matter is through physical examination by a qualified physician.. Suck it up and go see a doctor, and don't whine when given the only legitimate advice that you will receive on the matter.

Oh, and you're welcome.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Please don't yell at me or curse at me (OP or anyone else). But...since you said it's on the outside of your arches, on the sides of your feet, and you've never had this problem before...I have a stupid question...are you sure you had the left shoe on your left foot and the right shoe on your right foot?

I'm *not* trying to be funny (I don't find other peoples' pain amusing whatsoever). I don't walk (yet)...but I have put the right on my left and the left on my right before in a hurry to zip to the grocery store real quick and that chit hurts. >.<

ETA: and the left insole was in the left shoe/right insole in right shoe, etc? (I swear I'm being serious)
  • eversosquidly
    Options

The only way to give an informed medical opinion on this matter is through physical examination by a qualified physician.. Suck it up and go see a doctor, and don't whine when given the only legitimate advice that you will receive on the matter.

Oh, and you're welcome.

If your opinion meant anything to me, I'd say thanks. But I don't tend to listen to those that go out of their way to antagonize and put others down.
  • eversosquidly
    Options
    Please don't yell at me or curse at me (OP or anyone else). But...since you said it's on the outside of your arches, on the sides of your feet, and you've never had this problem before...I have a stupid question...are you sure you had the left shoe on your left foot and the right shoe on your right foot?

I'm *not* trying to be funny (I don't find other peoples' pain amusing whatsoever). I don't walk (yet)...but I have put the right on my left and the left on my right before in a hurry to zip to the grocery store real quick and that chit hurts. >.<

ETA: and the left insole was in the left shoe/right insole in right shoe, etc? (I swear I'm being serious)

Hahahaha! I'm not the yelling type!! :) Generally, I'm pretty tame. When I put my shoes on and took them off, they were on the right feet. As for the insoles, they have hard sides, so I know that they were in the right shoes, too. But I mean, that's a valid question!! My feet have been hurting the past day or so, but I thought it might've been a vitamin thing. I tend to walk on my toes. I have since I was little. And a while back when I had a weird nerve thing in one of my toes (way back, like…six or seven months ago) it was suggested to use a golf ball on my feet, and that made the pain from that go away. But last week, I took a walk and had no problems. And I was walking around other places today and had no problems.

I think it might have been the switch from one pair of really worn shoes to a newer pair of not so worn shoes. And I can't remember if they're wide or not. Which also could be the problem. I might have to break them in more. I just didn't want my feet to hurt even more from my very worn shoes.

Anyway: because it wasn't a 'I wore these shoes and my feet hurt now' kind of thing, that's the only reason I posted on here.

Good luck to whenever you start walking, too! I've been taking the dog at night, and he's been thanking me with loads of snuggles. (He's usually very non-affectionate.) So that's a plus! :)
  • fangedneko
    Options

Oh, and you're welcome.

If your opinion meant anything to me, I'd say thanks. But I don't tend to listen to those that go out of their way to antagonize and put others down.

Says the one spewing ad hominem. And nowhere in this thread did I put anybody down. You did, however. Enjoy your hypocrisy.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It's on the arch on the outside of my feet. No ankle, not the top. Outside of my feet, on the arch--where the pinky toe is. If you run your finger down the length of the outside of your foot where your pinky toe is, it's right in the middle between my toe and my heel. A friend asked about my pronation, and we realized I underpronate.

Underpronation does put more weight on the outer half of the foot, so there's going to be more stress there. Try wearing shoes without a raised heel, like Keds, Converse, most skateboard shoes, etc.
    Also do this calf stretch hourly (calves are tight with underpronation):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSzCfi0wbcA
    You might also try removing those insoles.
    Post your results.