Day one

Options
Hello all, I found this website via an app for the IPhone, and decided to join. I've been overweight for at least 15 years now and though I've been on quite a few diets, I've always gained the weight back + extra. The low point for me was last year when I hit 40 and nothing had changed, because I always dreamt that that age was supposed to be the moment I regained control of my eating habits.

Needless to say, my self confidence is not too good right now, but I'm never going on a "diet" again. I just need to eat moderately and exercise more. MFP seems like the perfect tool to track my habits, to really get a sense of what I'm doing wrong and try to make small, realistic changes in my lifestyle.

If anybody has any tips and or motivation, I'd really appreciate it. I need all the help I can get.

Replies

• vioblee
    vioblee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Cora,

We are about the same age with the same issue and amount to lose. I'd be happy to help encourage you with your weight loss. Joining here is a great start.

Feel free to add me :)

Brenda
  • rebelstreak85
    rebelstreak85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you Brenda, I'll add you! Good luck on your journey!
  • carrie340
    Options
    Hi, same for me, 40 next year and would like to take control!
    At the moment I'm eating my normal diet to see how it goes, I've not been very good for a long time now and it shows, MFP is great for showing you where you are going wrong, so fingers crossed it will help us both. Good luck. :-)
  • TCody
    TCody Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Cora,

What you said really resonated with me, I also have a target age at which I thought I would gain control over the food area of my life. Sort of when I would pull myself together. But it is fast approaching!

I think for me, it has to be a lifestyle and not a diet. Something that I can focus on doing for the rest of my life so that I can feel good about the way I look as well as feel good and healthy. I'm reading the book Super Foods RX and started trying out some of the principles from it in the last couple of days. Small meals 5-6 times a day and focusing on eating certain foods instead of focusing on what I can't eat.

But most of all, I'm taking it one day, and one meal at a time. We had family over yesterday to watch football and they ordered pizza. It was a really difficult decision to eat my butternut squash and couscous while they ate pizza, but I felt so triumphant after we were all done. And I still feel good about it this morning. :) One decision at a time!

Good luck!
    Tammy
  • 2011milestone
    Options
    HI Cora,
    I guess this is the 40's page : ),, cuz i too am 40 and also just started this app last week. I like it so far and i believe this is going to be a great change for all of us. please do add me on and keep in touch. I could be great support and am going to need support from you too for sure...

??? ladies how do you post your little trackers on your posts?
  • rebelstreak85
    rebelstreak85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey, carrie, cody, milestone! Thanks for answering my post, it's so great to feel supported and to know that we are not alone in this struggle! TCody, I think your approach is very good, one day at a time, even one meal at a time. The morning has passed for me and I've behaved so far ;).
    Also, just add on small extra activities each day. Today, I'm walking up the stairs to my apartment instead of using the elevator. I hope I have enough breath beacause I'm sooo out of shape.

See ya!