Best Food Scale

Options
What is your recommendation? Looking for a good one that is not too expensive. Where did you purchase it also?

Replies

• jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    I received mine as a wedding gift and I love it. OXO Black and Stainless Steel one from Bed Bath & Beyond. I wanna say it was btwn 30-40 but you could also use the 20% off coupons on it.
  • keta6atl
    Options
    Hey Holly....I have a salter ....it is digital...use it everyday!...can't imagine not having it....I prob. got it off of amazon?..don't remember...
  • meghan171
    Options
    I just bought the Biggest Loser scale from Bed, Bath, & Beyond. It was $19.99 and I love it so far! It weighs up to 6.6 pounds in .03 increment units. The batteries are included when you purchase it.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have a Salter as well but it was pricey. It's recommended by the Canadian Diabetic Association.
    I think that they have different models in different price ranges.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/dp/B001N0D7GA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295892845&sr=8-2

This is the one that I have. Eat Smart food scale. I've had it for 2 years now?? LOVE it!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Bump. I can't remember the brand of scale I have at home. It goes up to 8.8 pounds. and even has a nutrient database - you type in a 3 digit code and you get the nutrition for that specific weight of food.
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    Salter, mine was about 20 dollars I think. I've had it for 3 or 4 years. Use it constantly.
  • mamaleo1976
    mamaleo1976 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have Cuisinart® WeighMate™ Digital Kitchen Scale, bought it at Bed Bath & Beyond. It's a basic scale (which is what I wanted) and it does the job. Measures in Grams & Oz. Here's a link:
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16210315
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the brand name of mine but i also got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond because they always have the 20% off coupons. :)

Pretty much any brand of digital scale is going to give you the same results when weighing, but the key things you want to make sure it does:
    1. Weighs in both grams and ounces, nutrition labels and recipes use both and it's easier to just switch on the scale than try to convert back and forth
    2. Weighs in fractions or decimals (at least for the ounces) so you can make sure you're really getting 5 ounces, not 5 7/8 ounces and not realizing it just hasn't switched to 6 yet.
    3. Can be zeroed out. This feature means that you can put a plate on it, zero out the weight of the plate, weigh an item of food onto it, zero that out again, weigh the next item and so on. Or for baking, zero out the bowl, weigh in the first ingredient, zero it out, weigh in the next, etc.

From there it's personal preference on overall size, if you want one that has a bowl option built in (but you'd want to be able to remove it and have a flat surface as well, you don't want only a bowl to weigh in) and any other features that a digital scale may tout these days.

And always remember to never store your scale with things stacked on top of it. It can ruin the pressure sensitivity over time.
  • quanta
    quanta Posts: 28
    Options
    I got for mine for about $4 at Walmart. I tested its accuracy when I brought it home by weighing water (1 gram equals 1 ml) and it works just fine.
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... looks like most people on here got their scale from Bed Bath and Beyond, after I am done cleaning my dirty house, I am headed over there... Cant wait!
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,178 Member
    Options
    I have Cuisinart® WeighMate™ Digital Kitchen Scale, bought it at Bed Bath & Beyond. It's a basic scale (which is what I wanted) and it does the job. Measures in Grams & Oz. Here's a link:
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16210315

This is the one I have also. I have had no problems with it. I like the fact that it is small and easy to store and also looks good if left on the counter. It comes with a metal measuring tray that fits over the glass portion and it has the tare feature which is very handy. I do not remember what I paid but I know it wasn't much (because I am cheap when it comes to stuff like this).
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ok... I just bought a food scale at BB&B that looks just like the Cuisinart WeighMate. Didnt look like it was any different. Anyway.. its made by The Sharper Image and also has the same metal tray. I like that I can take it off and wash it. I used my 20% coupon so bonus!