Lost 200lbs after GasBy. Stuck in a chubby zone now.

Options
Hey guys! First time posting here, hopefully won't be the last. A brief bio about myself, I used to weigh just under 390 pounds. On April 11 of 2007, I had gastric bypass surgery. Exactly one year later to the date, I had lost 200+ pounds after strict diet and exercise.

Fast forward to now, after the stresses of life and what not have taken part, I've put on about 20 to 35 pounds. I looked my best and felt my best when I was about to 180 pounds. Now I cannot get back down there for the life of me. I work about 60 hours per week in a relatively low stress environment, and aside from hiking once a week, have little time or energy to exercise.

I am 28 years old, 5 foot nine & 210pounds (give or take). For the last month I have been strictly monitoring my caloric intake, and have set a deficit. I have a BMR of about 2060, and have set a deficit of 1300daily. For the last month I have been extremely strict with my diet. I haven't even so much as had bread, and that is one of my favorite things in the world. My average daily is a protein smoothie in the morning with ice and water, yogurt in the afternoon & vegetables and grilled chicken in the evening.

Needless to say, I've been pretty damn strict. Yet I've actually gained weight. When I started at the beginning of August, I weighed in at 205 pounds. Now I am over 210.

I'm really starting to get depressed over this. I am not comfortable in my own skin right now, and I really would like to take off about 25 pounds. I got used to wearing medium shirts and having room in them. Now I am finding myself occasionally have to put on a large.

Any advice offered is invaluable to me. Thanks guys!

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    If you've gained weight, you're taking in more calories than you're burning. If you don't weigh and measure your food already, it might be helpful to do that for a while so you can get an accurate idea of what you're eating. It's really easy to underestimate the calories you eat. Cutting out things like bread won't affect your weight unless you are eating at a deficit without it.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Your BMR can't be that high. I'm taller than you and appr the same weight, and my TDEE -20% is nearly 2000 kcal/day. Could you look at your numbers again, please.
  • ReneeDollarhide
    Options
    One of the reasons you might be gaining is your metabolism has slowed down...I know you work 60 hours a week and feel too tired to workout, but you are putting the cart before the horse! Exercise will make you feel more energized in the long run, boost your metabolism and stamina and just generally improve the overall quality of your life! If you have a demanding schedule and a weight problem, you can't afford NOT to do it! It's really a matter of priorities and only YOU can decide if it's a priority for YOU!
  • Everburg16
    Options
    I just checked, hun, and your BMR is actually closer to 1915.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Assuming you don't get any exercise, your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is 2298 calories.

By "set a deficit of 1300 daily," do you mean you eat 1300, or you are eating 1300 calories less than your BMR? Because either way, you're eating WAY too little. You should be at least eating your BMR (1750) daily. That's what your body needs to just function everyday. :)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Your BMR can't be that high. I'm taller than you and appr the same weight, and my TDEE -20% is nearly 2000 kcal/day. Could you look at your numbers again, please.

This might be it as well. I tried a couple different BMR calculators with your numbers and got 2060 and 2004. You might need to experiment with lower numbers, since those will only be estimates.
  • Discoqueen77
    Discoqueen77 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do your exercises in 10 min increments. At the end of the day, it all ads up! Good luck! (I highly recommend 8 Min. Abs video)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and congratulations on your weight loss! Amazing!

Has anything changed in your diet and exercise. It sounds to me like you are eating more than you realize. Do you weigh your food? Log everything you eat?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    But, you're female and he's male. Wouldn't that make a difference? :smile:

ETA: not much of a difference, I guess:

Your BMR is: 1930 CALORIES/DAY
    Your TDEE is: 2316 CALORIES/DAY
  • ryliery
    ryliery Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    drink water you wouldn't believe what water does! I was stuck at 160 forever and then I started drinking water the start of august I am down 11 lbs since then. Eating habits were the same but added a gallon of water a day.
  • hirethestache
    Options
    For practicality I do not weigh my food. I do however log every single thing I eat, and more often than not I will put in a higher number than what I believe is to be true. For instance, I had a slice of pizza two days ago. When I eat pizza at these days, I typically do not eat the bread. I just take the toppings off and eat that part along with the sauce. Anyways, after eating said slice, I will input it as though I had eaten the entire slice and not just the toppings. I do that for everything.

When it comes to water, I am one of the few people you'll meet you actually drinks at least a gallon a day. I have recorded 30 days in a row of drinking no less than 136 ounces each day. To further things, I do not drink sugary beverages or alcohol. The worst thing I have on a daily basis is a Starbucks green tea lemonade that is unsweetened. In total it is 90 cal, which is not a killer. Pour over, it's adding even more water to my body.

When it comes to my BMR, I was just using an average of multiple calculators. I have a calorie Of 1300 per day. Wow I have slightly exceeded this number on some days, I'm usually running it almost hard to reach that number.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I find it depressing tht I'm less than an inch shorter than you, weight 25 pounds less and am not even close to a medium shirt. I'm still wearing XLs. Depressing.

A lot of people gain the weight back after that surgery. You aren't alone. I know there are support groups for it. Talk to your doctor and to a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Even if you don't have an eating disorder, they can help you work through your emotions and how they relate to food. Not everyone gains because "life happens", know what I mean?

Good luck.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    You have done amazing! I think you should get a food scale. Even if you think you are overestimating, you could still benefit from having your true totals. After you start weighing your food & tracking it, I would definitely contact your nutritionist & see what they say. They should be able to give you an eating plan to lose the weight again. You do not need to exercise to lose weight--it can be done strictly by watching your food intake.
    A lot of people gain the weight back after that surgery. You aren't alone. I know there are support groups for it. Talk to your doctor and to a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Even if you don't have an eating disorder, they can help you work through your emotions and how they relate to food. Not everyone gains because "life happens", know what I mean?

Good luck.

Yes, a lot of people gain weight back after the surgery. A lot of people gain weight back after they lose it any other way. I do think that many of them gain it back because "life happens". OP, I think it's great that you recognize that you are regaining & are taking action to stop the progress before it gets out of hand.