weight gain after 1 week?? help me : s

OK so I'm new here but I'm on week 2 of my "journey". I'm busting my butt on the treadmill 6 days a week. Eating right and after 1 week I GAINED 3 lbs!!!!!! Ughhhhhh I wanted to cry my eyes out when I seen those numbers! So the only thing I can think of is that I was drinking way too little water. I'm trying to drink 8 to 10 cups a day now. Hoping it will make a difference.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm feeling so defeated. And I'm afraid to gain anymore lbs!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,370 Member
    You are not tracking your food and drink everyday, so you may want to track consistently for a week and see how you go then.

On some of the days you do track you are undereating...but likely just not tracking again.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    When on a new exercise program, its very common to retain water. Also, and MOST important is weigh and measure everything, as tracking calories is the most important part.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    You haven't gained, you're retaining water. That's normal.

Anytime you use a muscle (that you're not used to using), you create little tears in it, which creates inflammation. That inflammation is the fluid retention. It goes away after a few days while the muscle repairs itself.

Two weeks isn't enough time to see any real loss on the scale. You'll see water loss first - like 3-4 pounds. Then after maybe a month or two you'll start seeing actual weight loss. But it takes time for your body to adjust.
  • Me too! That graph of the weight going up is so discouraging. It is taking me some time to get into the habit of recording faithfully, so I cannot say I have been perfect the last week, but definitely I have eaten less junk, and worked out more, and the scale is up.

Lets keep it up and maybe hide the scale for 10 days, then check again? At this point, quitting is not an option, I cannot let it be an option.

Thanks for posting, it made me feel better to know I am not the only one, and that there is a physiological reason for it.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Don't feel bad, it happens.

Two weeks is not nearly enough time to gauge your success.

First, you say you're eating right and exercising...that's great! Try to up your water intake and keep on doing what you're doing. The scale will eventually show results.

I've been battling over ONE frigging pound for almost 2 weeks- was feeling discouraged (and peeved!). I reexamined my food intake and exercising. I'm not getting enough protein so that's my goal this week.

The thing is, one week your scale can show greater results than thought, the next week it may not. But over the long haul if you're burning more calories than you're eating you WILL lose weight.

So, chin up and keep at the good work. And, make certain you're logging your calories correctly.
  • queenierz
    queenierz Posts: 210 Member
    ^ this. Water retention + stress. Make sure you sleep a lot and drink lots of water and protein. You might gain skme muscle, just be aware of that too as muscle weighs more than fat. Dont focus only the scale but focus on measurements too. Goodluck!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Eating right

Does this include scrupulously logging everything you eat—weighing solid foods with a scale, and measuring liquids with a measuring cup? Because if you're not doing that, you can exercise all you want, but you might not be in a calorie deficit.

If you are doing that, then the weight gain is no doubt due to water retention.
  • Wow thanks.....I felt so alone. Seemed like this works for everyone except me!