Eating healthier but feel like CRAPPPP!

Options
So a few days ago I decided to cut wheat and sugar out of my diet and eat healthier. I am a MAJOR sugar and carb addict and enough is enough! I also started taking some probiotics. Anyhoo, I must have had a MASSIVE buildup of crap in my body because yesterday my entire face broke out in acne. Today I woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. Horrible headache, feeling high and spacey, and just generally really rotten. Oh, I also noticed the skin on my face is COVERED in oil. I must've washed my face 10 times today. I have fibromyalgia so these symptoms on top of my usual aches and pains and feeling like crap is almost unbearable. I'm assuming I feel like this because of all the toxins trying to leave my body? Any idea how long I will feel like this? On a good note, my digestion has been AMAZING and I haven't been hungry AT ALL. I'm assuming at some point I'll feel better, just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and how long it lasted. Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• Venobambino
    Venobambino Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When some one makes a big change to their diet, the body needs time to make adjustments. Be patient. You will feel better in a few more days.
  • Venobambino
    Venobambino Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When some one makes a big change to their diet, the body needs time to make adjustments. Be patient. You will feel better in a few more days.

Thank you so much for the encouragement Roda. :)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    It's just your body re-adjusting - if you've reduced your carb intake it can take a few days to a few weeks to adjust (depending on how reliant you are to them).

Keep with it!
  • erisians
    erisians Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the symptoms some people experience in the beginning of a low carb diet, which are usually temporary: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/8-low-carb-conundrums.html

Make sure you stay well-hydrated, are getting enough sodium and potassium and if you continue to feel like crap maybe up your carb intake a bit, through foods such as nuts, veg and fruit.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So a few days ago I decided to cut wheat and sugar out of my diet and eat healthier. I am a MAJOR sugar and carb addict and enough is enough! I also started taking some probiotics. Anyhoo, I must have had a MASSIVE buildup of crap in my body because yesterday my entire face broke out in acne. Today I woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. Horrible headache, feeling high and spacey, and just generally really rotten. Oh, I also noticed the skin on my face is COVERED in oil. I must've washed my face 10 times today. I have fibromyalgia so these symptoms on top of my usual aches and pains and feeling like crap is almost unbearable. I'm assuming I feel like this because of all the toxins trying to leave my body? Any idea how long I will feel like this? On a good note, my digestion has been AMAZING and I haven't been hungry AT ALL. I'm assuming at some point I'll feel better, just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and how long it lasted. Thanks for any advice!
    Why are you assuming cutting wheat and sugar means your eating healthier? Your body needs sugar and there is nothing wrong with wheat if you don't have ceoliac disease. Try just eating a normal balanced you'll feel better and it will be sustainable
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Why are you assuming cutting wheat and sugar means your eating healthier? Your body needs sugar and there is nothing wrong with wheat if you don't have ceoliac disease. Try just eating a normal balanced you'll feel better and it will be sustainable

You do not NEED dietary simple sugar in your diet. It has it's place in a healthy balanced diet, but one thing it is not is a NEED!

I agree sugar is not the bad guy, but it's not the good guy either.

Just as there are too many people on its case as being bad for you, there are just as many people on MFP over-egging its importance.

Its a neutral that all. If you've covered all your micro nutrient bases and protein and have room for it, then its a nice thing to have.
  • traceyandelliemay
    Options
    hi there its deffinitly a detox I had similar results when I quit drinking and partying when I was a teen. I had a face full of acne for a couple of months SHAME huh. I totes agree with wheat being addictive im celiacs and even smoking drugs and alcohol were nothing to quit over gluten. gosh that stuff is WAY more addictive than nicotine! and sugar don't even get me started on that its like speed for kids (im a mum) keep up the good fight hun your doing awesome its only temporary and soldier through it cause its worth it you know this im sure xoxoxox
  • wellnessjunkie
    Options

You do not NEED dietary simple sugar in your diet. It has it's place in a healthy balanced diet, but one thing it is not is a NEED!

I agree sugar is not the bad guy, but it's not the good guy either.

Just as there are too many people on its case as being bad for you, there are just as many people on MFP over-egging its importance.

Its a neutral that all. If you've covered all your micro nutrient bases and protein and have room for it, then its a nice thing to have.

Over consumption of sugar and therefore wheat (which turns into sugar in your body) leads to insulin resistance, fat, and eventually T2 diabetes. Staying away from that stuff the best thing you could do whether or not you have celiac.

I had very similar symptoms when I was detoxing from sugar earlier this year. It should pass within a few days. Make sure you are staying hydrated and active.
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Stick to it!! give it about 2 weeks. Stay hydrated, make sure to eat plenty of fruits and veggies and get PLENTY of rest! when I changed my diet drastically, my skin was so oily I also washed my face about 10 times a day. it was disgusting. I cut out processed sugar, but I ate some fruit and starchy vegetables (sweet potato). you can do it!!!!