What's for Breakfast after morning workout?

Options
I wake up and go walking/running from 6:30am so that I can be back in the house before my husband leaves for work and to my 2 year old. I work out twice per day and maintaining my 1200 calorie per day plus adage for excercise but I get stumped about what to eat for breakfast after. I know I need protein and lots of it and other goodness. Can you send me what you eat?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt, Noosa yogurt, or cottage cheese. Then also a fruit and coffee with 1 cup milk and sometimes a veggie too. I don't really eat anything different on workout days vs non workout days.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Do as I say, not as I do! Seriously. I grabbed a cookie on my way out the door this morning at 4am. Did an hour powerlifting session, hurried home, got ready for work and....grabbed another cookie as a ran out the door. Oops.

But I *usually* do a protein shake right after working out. I use Optimum Nutrition's Double Chocolate Whey and usually mix it with milk or coffee and milk. Oh god, yum. And packed with protein, which is what you *should* be having after a good lifting session...not a crappy empty calorie cookie... but whatev's, don't judge me. I do what I want. :laugh:
  • misstweedy
    misstweedy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This morning I had oatmeal - 1 cup low fat milk, 0.5 cup rolled oats, 2 tsp sugar, 290 calories and 14 g of protein. I use old-fashioned oats but soaked them overnight in the milk to reduce cooking time in the morning. Or how about a fruit smoothie - it's still mango season so I used 1 small honey mango, 100g 2% fat greek yoghurt and 150 g buttermilk. That's 220 calories and 15 g of protein.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Most Sundays I make some kind of frittata, and have a slice with my greek yogurt for breakfast each mornign. 28g of protein for 239 calories when I do it with egg whites.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    protein shake. currently. slimfast. but often own brand.
  • USMCGunny
    Options
    Good to see another early morning runner. After my 5:30 4-mile run I have an 8 oz Carbmaster Choco Milk and half a scoop of Whey. For breakfast an hour later its either yogurt, pumpkin flax granola, flax meal and blueberries OR half an avocado and cottage cheese.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    SMOOTHIE with 1/2 cup plain yogurt (protein), 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries and one banana... YUMMY!! This is pretty much what I eat every morning and I love the way it makes me feel, the taste is awesome and it holds me over for about 3 hours, which is when I get my first morning snack.
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milkshake and a protein bar when I arrive at work after my 12 mile cycle in this morning. Don't usually have time for anything at home, usually slurp an energy gel as well just to give me a pick me up when I set off (it makes a huge difference, usually adds 5-10 minutes extra on my commute if I miss out on the gel).
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Two hard boiled eggs. I used to do protein shakes, too. I may go back to it.
  • dazwan
    Options
    I know people go on about the benefits of Banana's (I I truly love them) but if I have one mid workout, they make me tired and I get a dip in performance. Is this just me?
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I typically make myself a protein shake after my workouts. Ton of protein, milk, yogurt, fruit. Real yummy and around 300-400 calories.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Protein shake and 2 egg western omelet in a whole grain pita
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Anybody remember those Lean Cuisine commercials where the beautiful perfect woman in the perfect outfit and hair would say "I had grilled chicken breast in an apple reduction with cranberries, french cut green beans, with a whole wheat orzo pasta"...and her scruffy looking friend in the sweat pants and sneakers with the ratty mom pony-tail would say in her most defeated tone "Oh...I had some pocket lint and a tic tac I found at the bottom of my purse :( " and the snotty narrator would say "She should have had a Lean Cuisine".

I just had a scruffy looking friend moment reading all of your awesome breakfasts and thinking back on my cookie breakfast. :ohwell:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Instead of getting up early for cardio then eating afterwards, I'd just sleep in and skip breakfast. More sleep + same net calories. :)
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    A Chinese friend turned me on to eggs with tomatoes for breakfast. I usually do a pretty large breakfast twice/week after leg workouts - I usually throw in bacon and/or sausage as well.
  • misstweedy
    misstweedy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't - cookie breakfast is awesome!
  • dazwan
    Options
    A Chinese friend turned me on to eggs with tomatoes for breakfast. I usually do a pretty large breakfast twice/week after leg workouts - I usually throw in bacon and/or sausage as well.
    Isn't that an omelette? or maybe an egg foo yung? (depending on how well you manage to turn it) Sounds good though, just wish I had the time. You can't beat an omelette and toast for brekkie!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Isn't that an omelette? or maybe an egg foo yung? (depending on how well you manage to turn it) Sounds good though, just wish I had the time. You can't beat an omelette and toast for brekkie!

I usually do it as a scramble with a bit of green onion to top it, but either way. It's hard to cram 4 tomatoes into an omelette, even with 6 eggs. :tongue:
  • dazwan
    Options
    I usually do it as a scramble with a bit of green onion to top it, but either way. It's hard to cram 4 tomatoes into an omelette, even with 6 eggs. :tongue:
    You've got me thinking about a full english now... :tongue: not good when I haven't eaten my dinner yet!
  • thinnerrugger
    thinnerrugger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    water, then the protein of your choice.