Carbs afer exercise..... HELP

Options
Need your help pelease....

I have been cutting out carbs in the evening for the last few months which has been great for me and really worked, really helped my weight loss. I have been told that it's imortant to have carbs in the monring with breakfast and after exercise. (and that you should have protein with every meal.) This has been fine as I go to the gym on my lunch break at work. So this means I would have carbs with my brekkie in the morning, and after the gym at lunch and I would then have a carb-free dinner.

I have now started going to a aerobics class 3 times a week in the evening (as well as my normal lunch time gym). Now the question is..... as carbs is good for you after exercise - on the evenings I go to my class should I be having carbs with my dinner afterwards?? Just seems to me that having it with brekkie, lunch (as i go gym at lunch) and dinner would be too much. Or should I eat before going to my class (avoiding carbs) and then eating something small afterwards, or not eat after at all???

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Lisa

Replies

• ctheslayer
    Options
    You need to eat before and after workout - an hour before and within an hour after. Good question, btw. :happy:

Here's a good article on the subject.

http://espn.go.com/trainingroom/s/1999/1112/166818.html
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    rule of thumb....carbs before working out, protien after. You need the carbs prior to give you energy and the protien after to repair your muscles.

So bottom line, no, you don't need to add carbs to your dinner.
  • lisa_lotte
    Options
    rule of thumb....carbs before working out, protien after. You need the carbs prior to give you energy and the protien after to repair your muscles.

So bottom line, no, you don't need to add carbs to your dinner.

Ahhh ok... see was always told the opposite - Protein before a workout and carbs after...

Lisa
  • lisa_lotte
    Options
    You need to eat before and after workout - an hour before and within an hour after. Good question, btw. :happy:

Here's a good article on the subject.

http://espn.go.com/trainingroom/s/1999/1112/166818.html

Thanks for this - really helpful!!

Lisa