fitness hounds thoughts on protein ?

Options
okay..i m to that point in my journey where I am learning about and wanting to get the most out of my workouts. I am reading on pre work out meals and post meals…recovery all of that.

I read in one article that to prevent losing muscle ..one should eat one gram of protien for every pound they weigh. That was one of several tips.

Is that the case in your experience?

Replies

• TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    How much protein to take in is the 2nd most asked question on this form or any health form. FYI...should I eat back my calories I expended during exercise is #1. Or so I've been told.

You will get ALL types of answers. Besides bro science, the actual bonafide scientific info is all over the place as well.

For me personally, I eat about 40% of my calories in protein. That is considered to be very high..but not the highest one will see. It has served me well on building muscles. Also, important to note that I have blood work done twice a year and in the last 3 years, it's been perfect.

As Forest says, that's all I got to say about that.:wink:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    This is a personal thing, but I find myself satiated and bang on my calories if I get somewhere between 180-200gm/day.

I weigh about 64kg (143ish lbs?), so that's nudging 3gm/kg of bw. No idea what that is in terms of gm/lb of lbm...

I find myself retaining lbm during a cut without issue and recovery seems fine, too. That's n=1 though, so take it for what it's worth.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I usually come in around or just shy of 1 g/pound per day. I usually shoot for about 42F/30P/28C ratio percentage-wise. It's where I feel most satiated and I've lost 8% bodyfat this year eating basically at maintenance and lifting heavy. I weigh the same.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    From my reading & experience most people eat much more than they need to. It doesn't really hurt to do that unless you have problems digesting it or kidney problems.

I have pounded down the protein in the past, and I've gone stretches eating about 70-75 grams a day. I don't notice any correlation to performance or size.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you can function on something like 50-60.

Well- you can perhaps-and others....

I can't. I'd die- of miserableness.

you'll find 0.8-1 gram per lean body mass- but that makes people's heads explode- so it often comes out as 1 gram per pound of body mass.

But - really if you're losing- 100 and over is typically a good goal to shoot for (and yes when you the math for someone around 160 pounds- 100-120 gets you to about that 0.8-1 gram range.

1 gram per pound for me would be 160- so again- if you aim for anything over 100 while losing- you're probably straight.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Thanks… i want the fat gone…and don't want to lose muscle just to see a lower number on the scale. This is very helpful…and appreicated.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    1g per pound of LEAN body mass is the recommendation OR 0.8g per pound of total body weight.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I target 40% of my calories from protein. That works out to 170g per day which is about .87g/lb of body mass. That is on the high side. I have trouble reaching that number even with supplements but it helps keep me focused on protein and keeps me away from carbs.

I have consistently lost weight and lowered my BF% using this ratio.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    you can function on something like 50-60.

Well- you can perhaps-and others....

I can't. I'd die- of miserableness.

you'll find 0.8-1 gram per lean body mass- but that makes people's heads explode- so it often comes out as 1 gram per pound of body mass.

But - really if you're losing- 100 and over is typically a good goal to shoot for (and yes when you the math for someone around 160 pounds- 100-120 gets you to about that 0.8-1 gram range.

1 gram per pound for me would be 160- so again- if you aim for anything over 100 while losing- you're probably straight.

Smart lady, I'd listen to this one.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The recommendations are all over the map. The one I have seen most consistently (and the one that makes the most sense to me) is 0.5 to 1 gram of protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS (there are formulas for calculating that). It presents a range below or above which is inadvisable for many different reasons. The lower number would be for someone who was choosing to maintain musculature and the higher number would be for those who want to add more muscle. The reason why I think it makes sense to avoid going strictly by body weight is that an obese person does not need more protein than a person of the same height (and same muscle and bone structure) who is quite lean--even though he/she might weigh a lot more. It can actually be dangerous to tell a morbidly obese person to eat lots and lots of protein as many morbidly obese people already have compromised renal function and they hardly need the added burden of too much protein. Some research suggests that consistently very high levels of protein might even cause a spread of cancer. You are only going to add a certain amount of muscle in a certain amount of time with a certain amount of work. Eating protein beyond what is needed is silly. I have established a range for myself and one day I might eat at the low end and another at the high end, depending on appetite. Listening to one's body is important. If your appetite has not been skewed by eating too much nutrient-light food, your body will generally tell you what you need.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    From my reading & experience most people eat much more than they need to. It doesn't really hurt to do that unless you have problems digesting it or kidney problems.

I have pounded down the protein in the past, and I've gone stretches eating about 70-75 grams a day. I don't notice any correlation to performance or size.

^This. I'm back to approx. 60-70 grams a day and seeing great results:-)
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I did 1g per pound of lean mass, not bodyweight. So let's say instead of eating 200g for a 200 lbs person it might be more like 180g for a person with 10% bodyfat. That's basically what I did during my cut and along with a slow steady cut over several months, didn't lose muscle.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

^^^This^^^ According to body builder, Lyle "what's-his-name" (can't think of it at the moment, but he's very popular) it is important not to eat too much protein for several reasons. One of which is that "it is not a good idea to get your body burning protein for fuel" and that it is hard on your body's organs of elimination (liver and kidneys) to exceed a certain amount. He acknowledged that he was probably going to get a lot of flak from his followers. When you get to the point of gagging at the thought of eating yet another chicken breast, it is probably time to cut back. Even though it is not an efficient process, your body will convert excess protein to body fat, so what is the point?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    1g per pound of LEAN body mass is the recommendation OR 0.8g per pound of total body weight.

^Correct.

But personally since I've been lifting I take in usually 130-150ish grams/day @ 123 lbs because that's what works best for me. I think it's just one of those things you have to play with, like TDEE for example - none of these #s are set in stone and everyone is different.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

^Correct.

But personally since I've been lifting I take in usually 130-150ish grams/day @ 123 lbs because that's what works best for me. I think it's just one of those things you have to play with, like TDEE for example - none of these #s are set in stone and everyone is different.

Agree--everyone is different. Some people just feel better at a higher level of protein. Men usually do better with a bit more protein per pound of lean body mass than do women--but then women are incapable of adding the amount of muscle that men can. Even women on steroids (a VERY bad idea for women) do not get to the gigantic proportions that male body builders do. There are differences based on age as well. Older people tend to have poor response to protein because they are incapable of doing the heavy work that would utilize it to build muscle (although exercise--especially weight-lifting is very beneficial in preserving their lean body mass, the loss of which is a significant problem for older people).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

^^^This^^^ According to body builder, Lyle "what's-his-name" (can't think of it at the moment, but he's very popular) it is important not to eat too much protein for several reasons. One of which is that "it is not a good idea to get your body burning protein for fuel" and that it is hard on your body's organs of elimination (liver and kidneys) to exceed a certain amount. He acknowledged that he was probably going to get a lot of flak from his followers. When you get to the point of gagging at the thought of eating yet another chicken breast, it is probably time to cut back. Even though it is not an efficient process, your body will convert excess protein to body fat, so what is the point?

Lyle McDonald?
    www.bodyrecomposition.com/

here- let me google that for you.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Lyle McDonald? The ex-speedskater and nutritional expert?

I like LM, but it's a personal preference thing.

If you're a healthy person with no kidney problems, then it's not going to make a difference apart from adherence once you exceed a certain point.

Like Leadfoot_Lewis said, you just have to find a value you can consume that leads to good adherence and favourable body-comp. That value is going to vary wildly from person-to-person and is best honed in on like you have to hone in on TDEE.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 1g per pound of bodyweight (165-180g). Unless I resort to whey protein, I find it difficult to consistently get more than that when I'm running a calorie deficit. You really have to concentrate on getting your protein in first and I'm usually under on days that I don't log. It's easier on a bulk.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I go for the 1g per lb bodyweight but it's more of a personal thing.

I think anything between 0.8 g per lb LBM - 1.5 g per lb bodyweight is acceptable for maintaining/building (depending on the rest of your diet obvs)
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Lyle McDonald?
    www.bodyrecomposition.com/

here- let me google that for you.

Yep--that's the name. :smile: Thanks.