5 servings of fruit & veggies enough per day

Options
News from Harvard's School of Public Health:

"Eating five daily servings of fruits and vegetables may significantly lower the risk of death, but eating more than that doesn’t appear to provide additional health benefits, according to a new study from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and colleagues.

"In a meta-analysis of 16 studies involving more than 833,000 participants, the researchers found that each daily serving of fruits or vegetables was associated with a 5% lower risk of mortality, so that eating five servings a day lowered the risk by 25%. But eating more than that didn’t lower the risk further."

[snip]

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/five-daily-servings-of-fruits-and-veggies-enough-for-health-benefit/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Nutrition Source - September 2014 (1)&utm_content=

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I eat 1.5 serving of fruit (berries to be exact) and 5-7 of veg daily. Even if there is no added benefit, I like the bulk they provide my diet.:tongue:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I eat 1.5 serving of fruit (berries to be exact) and 5-7 of veg daily. Even if there is no added benefit, I like the bulk they provide my diet.:tongue:

That's what I like about them too. They help keep me feeling fuller longer. Especially since I eat most of them raw.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It's about balance. You also need the benefits of other things in your diet.
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love the veggies! Fruit also but I limit myself to 1 serving most days. I agree with the others about filling up on veggies instead of starches and grains.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hm, I work in an Ivy League university and there is a heap of research happening in the nutrition/biology dept. right now which is proving the exact opposite...

Personally - 5 portions of fruit and veg isn't enough for me. They form the bulk of my diet and I sure as hell notice the difference in how I feel and migraine attacks if I switch them out for anything processed.

I know the UK govt. have upped it to 7 portions a day and said it's always been that but felt that saying 5 portions was a good way to get folks to at least aim for something.

In terms of mortality though....guess we'll only really know for sure in a generation or two....
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like, like what you eat.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a 100% chance of mortality.
  • RAWR1202
    Options
    Eat what you like, like what you eat.

This.
    I like my fruit and vegetables so I don't care about eating more than I 'need'.