Artificial Colors, Flavors, and Sweeteners

Options
Does anyone here worry about all of these artificial things we are consuming every day? I'm thinking mainly of the protein powders and Quest bars that I consume 5 days a week. There is so much controversy about whether or not these things are harmful, but what if they are? I'd like to think that the protein and fiber I get from these things make up for the negatives, but who knows?

If I could manage to get enough protein and fiber from food, I would give these up, but I can't seem to do that.

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Nope I don't worry about artificial colours, flavours, sweetners.

Theres is controversy over just about every food we eat. Most of the controversy is peoples pushing something as good/bad to make money, the other is science disproving them.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    :::puts on my conspiracy theory tin foil hat:::

Read something a long time ago about the Romans using lead in their cookware and aqueducts. They also used a sweetener that was some product reduced by boiling, often in lead bowls, and this sweetener was added to foods and wine. According to the article, many Romans suffered effects of lead poisoning, but it was misdiagnosed as other conditions. These were a fairly medically and technologically advanced people, but something as obvious to us now as "lead is poison" eluded them.

We seem to have had a surprising uptick in the number of odd/unique ailments - food allergies, autoimmune diseases, autism, etc. etc. I wouldn't be surprised if archaeologists in the future look back at *something* we are doing to our food or water now and say "Goodness Gracious, were these people idiots?? Really??"

:::takes off conspiracy theory tin foil hat:::

No, that's ridiculous. The FDA approves it all, so it's safe.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    but what if they are?

you'll die
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options

Read something a long time ago about the Romans using lead in their cookware and aqueducts. They also used a sweetener that was some product reduced by boiling, often in lead bowls, and this sweetener was added to foods and wine. According to the article, many Romans suffered effects of lead poisoning, but it was misdiagnosed as other conditions. These were a fairly medically and technologically advanced people, but something as obvious to us now as "lead is poison" eluded them.

We seem to have had a surprising uptick in the number of odd/unique ailments - food allergies, autoimmune diseases, autism, etc. etc. I wouldn't be surprised if archaeologists in the future look back at *something* we are doing to our food or water now and say "Goodness Gracious, were these people idiots?? Really??"

I get your point but lead and asbestos are natural substances. Artificial doesn't mean bad just as natural doesn't mean good.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I do not worry.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

Are you serious? I don't think the FDA does that great of a job.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Not for me, but my son has horrible reactions to food dyes. He becomes an alter ego - combative, off-the-wall, cries at the drop of a hat, destructive, hyper... all of those fun things.

We limit the preservatives and colors now.
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 145 Member
    Options

As a fellow conspiracy theorist *waves my tinfoil hat* I approve this message.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I do think that all the unnatural additives that are put into our food are the cause for the increased food allergies etc these days. Unless we are going to go completely clean with our eating we can't get away from some of the stuff; however, so the only thing that I truely try to avoid is the artificial sweetners. I know there are still foods that have them that I eat but for obvious things like diet soda and the sugar subtitues I avoid like the plague. Those are god awful for us. They are nothing but man made chemicals. I'll stick with regular soda(when I drink it) and natural sweetners thank you very much.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

How about the European equivalent? Are they suspect also?
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Eating foods with artificial flavorings - hard to identify the specific culprit - causes my uc to flare. I try and avoid as much as I can.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Nope I don't worry about artificial colours, flavours, sweetners.

Theres is controversy over just about every food we eat. Most of the controversy is peoples pushing something as good/bad to make money, the other is science disproving them.

I agree.. Im going to die eventually, and probably not because of some artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners... Just sayin!
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I do think that all the unnatural additives that are put into our food are the cause for the increased food allergies etc these days. Unless we are going to go completely clean with our eating we can't get away from some of the stuff; however, so the only thing that I truely try to avoid is the artificial sweetners. I know there are still foods that have them that I eat but for obvious things like diet soda and the sugar subtitues I avoid like the plague. Those are god awful for us. They are nothing but man made chemicals. I'll stick with regular soda(when I drink it) and natural sweetners thank you very much.

I am just going to add a link to a post from awhile back. Read that and move on.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary

/end thread
  • RAWR1202
    Options
    I don't think they're a huge deal and I can and will happily down more cans of Pepsi Max in a day than the typical guy does with beer throughout the whole football season.
    However, I don't consider them 'healthy' so I kinda raise an eyebrow at claims by manufacturers about protein bars, shakes and whatever being 'healthy snacks' as well as the number of people that consume them on a daily basis. Personally, I would rather save a few hundreds each year and just drink milk or something.
  • StampingJen
    StampingJen Posts: 38 Member
    Options

....The FDA approves it all, so it's safe.

Now THAT is funny! Ha!

For many years I've always thought that much of our diseases/ailments stems from the overuse of plastic. It's not because of something I read or heard about, just a gut feeling. It's everywhere and in everything now. Even the syringe your doctor uses to administer medicine is plastic. I don't go crazy, never using plastic, but if I can remove it easily, I do. Like using glass drinking glasses and storage containers instead of plastic.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options

....The FDA approves it all, so it's safe.

Now THAT is funny! Ha!

For many years I've always thought that much of our diseases/ailments stems from the overuse of plastic. It's not because of something I read or heard about, just a gut feeling. It's everywhere and in everything now. Even the syringe your doctor uses to administer medicine is plastic. I don't go crazy, never using plastic, but if I can remove it easily, I do. Like using glass drinking glasses and storage containers instead of plastic.

Plastic does seem to be taking over the world.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    when i was preggo with my daughter my dr said to stay away from artificial sweeteners. i have to anyway cuz it tastes so nasty!!

I do try very hard to stay away from artificial colors n flavors. They aren't good for you at all. I was told yellow 5, 6 and red 40 whatever the number lol was banned in other countries ... not sure why they allow it in the US then... They cause a whole list of stuff :(

http://www.special-education-degree.net/food-dyes/
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options

If you don't trust the FDA fully, take a look at what other countries are doing. There are many additives allowed in the U.S. that are banned elsewhere, and I try to avoid those.

http://www.shape.com/blogs/shape-your-life/13-banned-foods-still-allowed-us
    http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/11944-banned-foods.html
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    when i was preggo with my daughter my dr said to stay away from artificial sweeteners. i have to anyway cuz it tastes so nasty!!

I do try very hard to stay away from artificial colors n flavors. They aren't good for you at all. I was told yellow 5, 6 and red 40 whatever the number lol was banned in other countries ... not sure why they allow it in the US then... They cause a whole list of stuff :(

Apparently a lot of things are allowed in the U.S. that aren't allowed in some other countries.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Apparently a lot of things are allowed in the U.S. that aren't allowed in some other countries.

Like FREEDOM!! WHOOOoOooOOOoO! :drinker: MURICA!