HCG Diet

Options
have anyone heard of HCG diet drops?

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    It's made from urine and you're restricted to 500 cals per day. I don't think this is something that can be maintained. I'm just saying.
  • cupcakelover103
    cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this too. I'm not interested in trying it though, just curious.
  • ccvanwink
    Options
    when you take the drops or the shot it is not made from urine. When the body passes this hormone it is secreted in the urine. The hcg diet is a great diet, but it can be difiicult to maintain and follow. The hcg diet is a diet that cannot be deviated from and is something that you need to devote at least 90 days to so that you body can keep the weight off and have time to reset to maintain the weight loss. There are plenty of websites to get information from that can be very helpful. Dr. Simeon's protocol is the best information that you can find.
  • pcronberg
    pcronberg Posts: 224
    Options
    There is a forum dedicated to those who are doing the HCG Diet, and we are all having some great success. The diet is not for everybody, and you should read to book Pounds and Inches, as this is the protocol written by Dr Simeon who invented the diet. It will be very useful and explain everything if you are thinking about doing this diet. It is VERY important to read the book before starting the diet though, as it is one that must be followed correctly.
  • katzplay62
    Options
    How long are you gonna stay on this diet? Forever? If you plan to just do this til you lose x pounds then go back to "normal" eating you're doomed from the start. Yo-yo dieting is FAR worse than being healthy & fit at a larger size. And any diet that requires some weird supplement and ***only 500 calories*** cannot be good for you.

Gimmicks and quackery are rampant in the weight loss industry. Educate yourself about healthy, permanent life changes to take control of your health.

Kat
  • pcronberg
    Options
    I could try to go back to normal healthy eating... but I chose to do the HCG because it does work. If you are uneducated about the diet, it could seem to be risky, unhealthy, or an all around poor choice. I am educated on the diet, and follow the protocol correctly. This is a diet that has been around since the 50's, and has been proven very effective. It is not a life style change, but it is a start to one. There are many other risky things going on in weight loss these days like liposuction, gastric by-pass surgeries, and many others. I am not educated on these things, so I have nothing negative to say about them. I feel that for somebody to understand the way something works, they must research, read and be taught something. It isn't addition, but it isn't brain surgery either. It takes work, dedication and a promise to yourself to do it. It isn't yo-yo dieting, it isn't a fad, just like a television set isn't. Fads last for a few months to a year, this has been around for 60+ years, and I don't see the television going out of their "fad" either.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I thought it had been a while since the last HCG diet bomb dropped.

You will hear good and bad things about this diet...but it IS restrictive eating rather than dieting in my eyes. You are even restricted to the hair and beauty products you are allowed to use.

Nothing beats a good bit of exercise and clean eating, however, I am not bashing people who do the HCG diet...I just think it is completely impossible to maintain this type of eating.

I have a nosey in the HCG forum on here many times, and the number of people recording dramatic weight loss of 4-5lbs a day are equal to the number of people who lose NOTHING a day and even gain when they slightly go over their 500 calorie diet.

Not the "diet" for me I'm afraid...a change of lifestyle certainly works wonders!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    The television has been around for 60 years and EVERYONE has one because they WORK!!

Don't you think that if this diet was truely AMAZING...everyone would be on it? 60 years is a long time for something to still be viewed in such a negative light.

And yes, I am educated on the diet and thought about going on it...but instead I lost 40+ pounds just by eating well and exercise.

I just think it is incredibly dangerous.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I've done this too and I agree that it does work. I've never met anyone who see this diet as a lifestyle change, or anyone who didn't understand it was intended to be followed only for a specific period of time. However, it does jump start some weight loss, which for some people, helps them along the path to a lifestyle change. I know for me, I wouldn't be able to run now if I hadn't lost that first 25 lbs. You certainly have to follow the diet strictly, but you also have to follow the stabilization and maintenance parts of it strictly. I know it's a contraversial subject, but I think we should refrain from judging one another on our diet choices. I'm not implicating anyone in this thread, but we're here to encourage one another and some things work for certain people and others have different tolerances. Before you begin, however, you need to be informed.
  • jlmnk1313
    jlmnk1313 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings on this! I have an Aunt who is currently doing this and she has lost 60 lbs! Which is amazing but I know that when she ate normally for the holidays she gained 10 lbs back in about 3 weeks! I am concerned what will happen when you are off of it for a while! I am also concerned that you can't maintain 500 calories for life nor would it be healthy to. But I also have seen her attitude and self worth increase a lot! I think if you feel you can do the 500 calories to get some weight off great, but I know I would have a hard time only consuming 500 calories everyday and I am concerned about some of the restrictions they make while you are on it. I have read about it alot and talked to her so I do feel I am fairly educated about this! I don't think it is for me for a few reasons. But the main one is that a side affect of this is hairloss because of the hormone. I just had a baby 8 months ago, my 3rd,and I lost some hair after my pregnancy and that isnt' an affect I would be okay with. I think to each their own, I am not one to judge anyone because I want the same in return, but I would highly suggest researching it before you decided if it is or isn't for you! Good Luck!
  • jhann16
    jhann16 Posts: 62
    Options
    Does HCG mess with your hormones? If your hormones get out of wack, then you'll never be able to maintain weight loss.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Does HCG mess with your hormones? If your hormones get out of wack, then you'll never be able to maintain weight loss.

I didn't notice any changes in my hormones (i.e. being hormonal, etc.) or any hair loss for that matter. But I imagine it does affect people differently and it might not be feasible for everyone. What surprised me more than anything is that you're just not hungry when on the drops. I had trouble eating 500 calories. I still was working out too. The only part I struggled with was the sugar cravings, but I struggle when them now that I'm not on the HCG diet anymore. I agree, too, that a lifestyle change is a diet where you aren't restricting yourself of anything you love. This diet isn't like that (for the 3-6 weeks you're on it). What's important is that you continue a healthy diet afterwards. It's really hard to not yo-yo back into eating all the things you denied yourself while on the drops. But if you can do that, and stick to the 500 calories, it will work and you will be able to maintain it.

Just my two cents. I agree, to each his own :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Oooh these are great seats. *sits down*
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    How long are you gonna stay on this diet? Forever? If you plan to just do this til you lose x pounds then go back to "normal" eating you're doomed from the start. Yo-yo dieting is FAR worse than being healthy & fit at a larger size. And any diet that requires some weird supplement and ***only 500 calories*** cannot be good for you.

Gimmicks and quackery are rampant in the weight loss industry. Educate yourself about healthy, permanent life changes to take control of your health.

Kat

The Simeons Protocol written by DR Simeons transitions you through phases slowly adding in foods so that you don't gain weight.

And the reason that the 500 calorie plan is not harmful during the weight loss phase is due to the HCG mobilizing and utilizing the fat cells to burn for additional calories. The fat soluble vitamins and trace minerals are then utilized that were being stored in the fat cells.

Also, the protein sources and vegetables, fruits are all very clean eating so it also rids you of your cravings.

It is not a fad (been around in the 1950's) nor is it quackery, IT WORKS!!!
  • pcronberg
    Options
    This is my first round on the diet, and the only side effects I have had are 1) a headache the first couple of days, but I believe it is because I was a caffeine junky, and went to none at all (you can drink black coffee or tea with stevia, but no creamer). 2) I felt pretty tired the first two days as well, but there again, no caffeine when I was so used to having it all the time. 3) My TOM came 11 days late, which, I am used to having my TOM a little late sometimes, but not 11 days late. Other than that, NO other side effects. I have a really hard time eating to the full 500 calories, and am always about 200 calories under. The HCG pulls at your abnormal fat, which is packed full of calories and vitamins, so even though you are only consuming 500 calories, you body is pulling what it needs from your fat storage. Again, it is not a diet for everyone, but if you are considering the diet, you do need to do plenty of research on it. It is required for you to stay on the 500 calories for 3 days past your injections or drops, so that you give your body the chance to get rid of the HCG, so that you can maintain the weight. Then there is a 3 week maintenance phase of healthy eating, where you are supposed to stay away from carbs and sugars, which are necessary with any diet. This is not by any means a way of life, it is a jump start on weight loss, and a jump start onto healthy living. There will always be the need to eat healthy and exercise, but there are people who need that initial boost. I had tried the dieting and exercising all my life, and even had a personal trainer for a while, but I couldn't seem to lose the weight. I reached points where I gave up, and just went about my daily life, not worrying about my weight, then I would try again for another 6 months or so, and nothing would give. I have had success with this diet, and I am proud of myself for taking the steps to do it. I needed this, I wanted this, and I chose to do this. I obviously plan on keeping a healthy eating life after HCG, as well as having an active life too. As far as everyone not being on the diet, that is because of skeptics, and the fact that there are a lot of people that just can't stick to it. It takes a LOT of will power in the beginning, then, it seems to just be natural. Sure there are still cravings for things you can't have on the diet, but really who doesn't crave things they shouldn't eat? If that were the case there would be a lot of businesses closed down, because people just wouldn't buy junk food! I have my days where I wish I could just gorge on a pizza, or have some ice cream, but I don't, because I want this to work, and am willing to take those extra steps for myself. This is a decision of my own, just as the style of clothing I wear is my own. I am not telling anybody to run out and get on the diet, I just don't want anybody judging me for my choices. I am willing to give advice and help those along who have questions before starting the diet, because I don't want anybody to start it off on the wrong foot and not know what they are doing.
    I hope you all have a happy, healthy life and good luck with your weight loss goals! :wink: