Calories in vs calories out

Options
Well ... I totally do not get dieting ! Did Atkins gained 2lb , pigged out nite and lost a pound !?????? Atkins says calories in vs calories out is a myth . Anyone disagree ?

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Well ... I totally do not get dieting ! Did Atkins gained 2lb , pigged out nite and lost a pound !?????? Atkins says calories in vs calories out is a myth . Anyone disagree ?

disagree - for just weight loss its calories in vs calories out. Eat in a calorie deficit and you will loss weight.

If you're also focusing on health then it's more about what you eat, as well as how much.

edit - my bad (confusing response - I meant I do not disagree with cals in vs cals out)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Do you read the firums and what people say time and again?
    Whats your explanation other than if you eat at a deficit you will lose weight and at a surplus you will gain?

Your example is very non scientific and annectodal. You weight fluctuates for many reasons. How do we know what else you ate that day as well as what exercise you were doing. One day is a reflection of one day and not soemthing to be relied upon. Look at weight loss over a longer period and then you might get it. Talk to the people who have lost 50lb plus and ask if they get it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Yes Science does. Dr Atkins and it's advocates grasp of science was/is shaky at best.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Calories in - calories out determines only the amount of fatty tissue, and amount of fatty tissue is determined only by calories in - calories out. Your body consists of around 70% water, and that, and the contents inside your stomach and intestines, varies quite a lot. You have to understand and accept those natural fluctuations in order to keep your sanity.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    A LOT of diet books; too many frankly. Most follow a fairly standard organization (the first chapter always explaining that YOUR FAT IS NOT YOUR FAULT) and, with very very few exceptions, most will tell you that ‘calorie restricted diets don’t work for weight loss’ and that whatever magic they are selling is the key to quick, easy (and of course permanent) weight loss.

Whether it’s insulin, dietary fat, the protein:carbohydrate or insulin:glucagon ratio, partitioning or whatever other BS, they will make it sound like caloric intake is not the key aspect in whether or not someone gains weight.

In almost all cases, the idea that food intake must be restricted in any fashion is dismissed; if it is mentioned it is generally as a short aside late in the book that nobody pays any attention to.

This is purely a psychological ploy; it sucks to have to consciously restrict food intake and this causes mental stress. Simply knowing that you can’t eat what you want when you want it blows; I hate it as much as the next person. Many people will feel hungrier simply because they know that they can’t eat what they want when they want it.

Yet the fundamental fact is that the body will NOT have any need to tap into stored body fat unless the individual is burning more calories than they are taking in. Of course this means that either energy expenditure has to go up, caloric intake has to go down, or both have to occur.

So how can these books make this claim? It’s simple: they all hide basic caloric restriction in whatever they happen to be proposing. Basically, this is Lyle’s Rule #1 of Diet books:

All diet books tell you that you won’t have to restrict calories, and then trick you into doing it anyway.

Source:http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/all-diets-work-the-importance-of-calories.html
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    Pigging out is obviously working for you, so do that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

yes, i disagree!
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    In case you missed my point earlier...

06Xa5In.gif
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes Science does. Dr Atkins and it's advocates grasp of science was/is shaky at best.
    +1^
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Whether Atkins or any other diet wants to admit it or not the fact is if their diet works it is because of a calorie deficit.

Atkins will have you believe that weight loss on their plan is directly caused by reducing carbs, when in truth it is caused by a calorie reduction as a result of reducing carbs. In other words if you eat less carbs you will automatically eat less calories.
  • amylbowden
    amylbowden Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I saw an article on BBC news today on this point. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29031985

The article describes a study which found that all diets (including Atkins) gave similar weight loss results long term if adhered to.

I quote 'Obesity experts said all diets cut calories to a similar level, which may explain the results.'
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I quote 'Obesity experts said all diets cut calories to a similar level, which may explain the results.'

Yep... Just pick the plan you enjoy and can stick with. Also, don't get caught up in all the dogma and be flexible and willing to change what you are doing if and when you plateau.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    All diet books tell you that you won’t have to restrict calories, and then trick you into doing it anyway.

These forums have ruined diet books for me. I used to love to read them for some reason, whether I intended to do the diet or not. I picked up one from the library the other day and just flipped through it with a few "bah, humbugs" before returning it. I'll never be the same now. :sad:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I saw an article on BBC news today on this point. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29031985

The article describes a study which found that all diets (including Atkins) gave similar weight loss results long term if adhered to.
    The range of diets covered included, Atkins, South Beach, Zone, Biggest Loser, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Volumetrics, Weight Watchers, Ornish and Rosemary Conley.

I don't follow any plan but my own, but incidentally, to a certain degree, I use some of the principles from some of those, and other diet plans. But I don't like to be told when and what to eat :mad: I get that some people like and need the structure and rigidity of a commercial plan, but it doesn't help in the long run, if the plan doesn't have room for *real* real life situations and doesn't teach you how and what to eat without any special equipment or rituals. (I'm not sure if scales and weighing are special equipment and rituals :tongue: )
    Yep... Just pick the plan you enjoy and can stick with. Also, don't get caught up in all the dogma and be flexible and willing to change what you are doing if and when you plateau.

Yes, you need a plan that makes things easy, if it doesn't, it's a bad plan. And flexibility is very important, in fact, crucial, and most commercial diet plans are not flexible. They don't teach you the overall principles, so that you can be independant, and why should they :devil:
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

I like this. I was eating mainly low carb until about a month ago and my needs are changing and I've added carbs but stayed at a deficit. I also think you have to be willing to change.

Also, hate to admit this, but I don't know if Atkins is a life long lifestyle. I did and can feel my food needs changing.
    (that probably makes no sense...I've no idea how to descibe it)
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I disagree too.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how you are 2 pounds to your goal weight according to your ticker, you need to have a diet that is how you want to eat for the rest of your life.

It may be .5 pound a week for you, but unless if you're planning on continuing with Atkins (which truly is about creating a deficit, and that deficit is created by not feeling as hungry by eating mainly fats and moderate protein). You wouldn't even be starting in the "induction" phase for Atkins.
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I just read a great book called "Metabolism Reset Diet" and the author is very against the whole concept of it being about calorie in/calorie out because our bodies are all different and that calories are different. For example, eating a 250 calorie brownie is going to have a different affect on your body than eating a 250 calorie salad with protein. How your body reacts to that food and what it does with it is what she says will determine your weight loss. She is big into not counting calories but making sure you are fueling your metabolism properly. It is a hard concept to fathem....eat more to lose but I have been following her 28 day metabolism reset for 9 days now and have lost 8 pounds. This is after months and months are eating 1200 calories and working out hard 5 days a week. I almost panic on some days because I feel like I am stuffing myself but the scale has continuously moved down. The book was a great find for me!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Source:http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/all-diets-work-the-importance-of-calories.html
    Exactly! Every fad diet or diet book have the same method--either eliminate an entire food group or eliminate a list of certain foods/ingredients or severely limit them.