Warning to never eat below your BMR?

Replies

• I dont understand this either- in for the replies
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I've tried to understand all of this and it still confuses me. I am 34yrs old, 5'2.5" and currently 191lbs. I have a desk job so I sit all day long but I do exercise for 30-60 min normally every day (I did not miss any days in August and none so far this month).

According to the scooby calculator it tells me my BMR is 1614, my TDEE (the amount needed to maintain my current weight) is 1937 and that my daily calories to lose should be 1452 (that is with 25% reduction or a deficit of 484 cal/day). I typically eat 1200-1400 cal/day and then exercise 100-200 cal/day but I normally do not eat back my exercise calories so I am netting 1000-1300 cal/day if my math is correct. From what I gather that means I am eating below BMR? I've tried over the last week to increase my calories and I get scared of netting 1400 even though that's what the scooby calculator tells me to do.

How did I not give my stats??? Never mind I'll get help and answers from someone who actually cares to answer my question

People don't say that you should increase calories in order to lose more weight.
    Yeah, some do. On almost every thread involving someone's not losing weight or not losing as fast as he expected to.

Fair enough. I'll rephrase. If people say that you should increase calories to lose more weight they are, for the most part, wrong. With the caveat that eating more calories can give more energy which can allow for more activity and harder workouts.
    Which is why I wrote earlier, "No" it can't be explained. Even with the caveat, one must burn off more calories than the additional intake, so the net is still lower, not higher.

Yep, agreed.

Misread - nm.

Oh good. I thought I had agreed with the "health" standpoint earlier so then I was confused. :laugh:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    I've tried to understand all of this and it still confuses me. I am 34yrs old, 5'2.5" and currently 191lbs. I have a desk job so I sit all day long but I do exercise for 30-60 min normally every day (I did not miss any days in August and none so far this month).

According to the scooby calculator it tells me my BMR is 1614, my TDEE (the amount needed to maintain my current weight) is 1937 and that my daily calories to lose should be 1452 (that is with 25% reduction or a deficit of 484 cal/day). I typically eat 1200-1400 cal/day and then exercise 100-200 cal/day but I normally do not eat back my exercise calories so I am netting 1000-1300 cal/day if my math is correct. From what I gather that means I am eating below BMR? I've tried over the last week to increase my calories and I get scared of netting 1400 even though that's what the scooby calculator tells me to do.

How did I not give my stats??? Never mind I'll get help and answers from someone who actually cares to answer my question

People don't say that you should increase calories in order to lose more weight.
    Yeah, some do. On almost every thread involving someone's not losing weight or not losing as fast as he expected to.

Fair enough. I'll rephrase. If people say that you should increase calories to lose more weight they are, for the most part, wrong. With the caveat that eating more calories can give more energy which can allow for more activity and harder workouts.
    Which is why I wrote earlier, "No" it can't be explained. Even with the caveat, one must burn off more calories than the additional intake, so the net is still lower, not higher.

Yep, agreed.

Not agreed.

Generally when this happens it's because the person is originally eating so low or so carelessly that they're not getting sufficient nutrients. Bumping it up can let them get in the nutrition so they feel better. Sometimes it's not just about energy balance.
    The point was about weight loss. Your point isn't about weight loss.

So studies have shown right that you can in fact lose weight still eating a not so nutritious diet. Me personally if my body does not get the nutrition it needs and can now feel myself when I become unhealthy. It effects my workouts big time.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    I get confused about eating/not eating below my BMR as well, but mainly because I have gotten a range of answers from different BMR calculators. I've been told anywhere from 1900-2150. I know it's just an estimate but it's making me confused about what my calorie intake should be. MFP has it at 1820 (to lose 1lb a week) but that seems low. I originally had it at 2000 but even that is considered low if my BMR is actually over 2000. I have a lot of weight to lose so maybe I don't need to worry about eating under BMR as much? I'm not sure.
    Confused. LOL
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    So studies have shown right that you can in fact lose weight still eating a not so nutritious diet. Me personally if my body does not get the nutrition it needs and can now feel myself when I become unhealthy. It effects my workouts big time.
    I'm not implying that one must eat below BMR.

If someone isn't getting enough nutrition or doesn't have enough energy to accomplish his goals, he should probably eat more and lose more slowly.

On the other hand, if someone is doing fine eating below BMR, staying active, increasing weight or reps, or whatever, BMR likely isn't the danger line people make it out to be.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    I get confused about eating/not eating below my BMR as well, but mainly because I have gotten a range of answers from different BMR calculators. I've been told anywhere from 1900-2150. I know it's just an estimate but it's making me confused about what my calorie intake should be. MFP has it at 1820 (to lose 1lb a week) but that seems low. I originally had it at 2000 but even that is considered low if my BMR is actually over 2000. I have a lot of weight to lose so maybe I don't need to worry about eating under BMR as much? I'm not sure.
    Confused. LOL
    This is going to be a bad example but here ya go. For example If I get into a car accident and go into a coma. The BMR is the calories needed for maintenance to say the same weight. We are using energy right now type time so everyday the amount of calories we burn is more than our BMRs. That where TDEE comes into play. When I went into the bod pod I was told my RMR which is the same as BMR. MY TDEE is way more than the RMR. Did not account for muscles.

You have a lot to lose so that is why you can technically lose weight fast. It like being this high in weight is unhealhier than losing at like a 2-3 pounds per week in the beginning range. Sometimes more I am not too sure from my experience. Especially when you change all those habits of yours that got you to where you are now.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    The 'more energy' argument is an interesting one, too, though you see it here all the time. I know there is some adaptive thermogenesis with dieting and its main effect is to reduce non-exercise activity, so in that respect I see how many feel like sitting around more when dieting. But our bodies have access to energy in the form of calories from fat, which is how weight loss happens. I know there can also be blood sugar issues for some or glycogen issues, with long workouts.

But overall I think for most dieters, feeling like you have more energy at 1500 calories vs. 1300, e.g., is probably mostly psychological. Like DeguelloTex suggested, I doubt most of them 'exercise off' those extra 200 calories due to feeling differently, so the net effect is slower losses. Though I guess if your goal isn't to speed up weight loss but to maximize exercise time/effort...

I don't feel more energetic at higher calorie levels, not that anecdote means much. If anything I probably feel less energetic the more I've eaten. Feeling light and energetic is often reported from people fasting, too. Not that I'm recommending that here.

Could be psychological. For me it seems to be true just gauging by my activity tracker. But I've got medical conditions so I can't always apply my own experience to the general population.

I would point out though that psychology is important. Not really relevant to the discussion of speed of weight loss, but important to overall adherence.
    Yeah, I definitely agree that psychology and adherence are important. But I wonder how much reading here over and over that "you might have more energy at a higher calorie level" makes people feel that they do?

I know I feel more patient and less deprived at more calories, and those DO count, too! :smile:

Back when "eating below your BMR" was a huge taboo here, there were lots of threads of people claiming all kinds of awful side effects of doing so. People would post that they couldn't lose any weight that low but that the weight was falling off them once they increased 500 calories a day. Which is really interesting. I think there's a tendency toward groupthink here often, but it's getting less so all the time. The forum is getting a lot smarter and more critical thinking, I think. :smile:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Can anyone explain to me how/why a person would need to eat more calories to lose weight?
    No.

I could but there is no point to bringing in unhealhty issues.

Maybe what I'm asking is not clear because I don't understand these responses? What I'm saying is if I'm currently netting 1200 calories and the scooby calculator tells me I should 1450 calories can someone tell me why that would be? Why is it telling me to higher calories when I'm trying to lose? I don't understand why I'm not losing faster when I'm creating an even larger deficit than the calculator tells me. People on the boards have said to eat more I'm just wanting to understand WHY. I'm not bringing up any unhealthy issues I'm trying to understand how this works.

There are any number of reasons for the advice to eat more. One being most of us didn't get fat because we could effortlessly eat 1200 calories consistently. But if you can handle it for the long haul, I suppose why not. With more calories though, there's just a bit more room to fit in things you like, whether or not they would be categorized as "healthy" food. Another one is if someone's exercising hard and eating very few calories , they may be advised to eat more to properly fuel their bodies rather than passing out

Why you're not losing weight with more of a deficit? There could be any number of reasons for that. Water retention, somehow your logging accuracy with regards to food and exercise got worse, etc.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,756 Member
    For about two-thirds of my weight loss ~journey~ I ate below my BMR and saw no ill effects. I think it's one of those things people say without really researching because it sounds good. Whether you eat below your BMR or below your TDEE, you're still eating less than your body needs to maintain your weight. I'd like someone to explain to me why one is awful, terribad, and the other is perfect.

I say listen to your body - if you're starving, eat more. If you're deficient in nutrients, make sure you get them. If you feel unwell, eat more. You'll be fine.

I find this very reassuring, thank you.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    The 'more energy' argument is an interesting one, too, though you see it here all the time. I know there is some adaptive thermogenesis with dieting and its main effect is to reduce non-exercise activity, so in that respect I see how many feel like sitting around more when dieting. But our bodies have access to energy in the form of calories from fat, which is how weight loss happens. I know there can also be blood sugar issues for some or glycogen issues, with long workouts.

But overall I think for most dieters, feeling like you have more energy at 1500 calories vs. 1300, e.g., is probably mostly psychological. Like DeguelloTex suggested, I doubt most of them 'exercise off' those extra 200 calories due to feeling differently, so the net effect is slower losses. Though I guess if your goal isn't to speed up weight loss but to maximize exercise time/effort...

I don't feel more energetic at higher calorie levels, not that anecdote means much. If anything I probably feel less energetic the more I've eaten. Feeling light and energetic is often reported from people fasting, too. Not that I'm recommending that here.

I do think at a certain level, eating too close or below the BMR can affect energy level, and it's not all "psychological." I'm at or near normal weight, and if I go under 1200 on a particular day, I do feel light headed, irritable, and lacking in energy. I had a low day yesterday due to first day of my semester, and I knew I couldn't eat a ton because I didn't work out, and by the end of the day, it was a struggle to take a 30 minute walk. The day after a "low" day, I may get light-headed during a vigorous workout, or need to bring a snack to eat before I go home. Is this because I really need food or is it just "psycological" and I should "tough it out" at the lower calorie level? Also, there is a certain energy level and euphoria that goes with fasting (although I 've never experienced it); however, that is not necessarily an indication that this practice is beneficial or not harmful to the body, but a side effect of fasting. It's why mystics do it; it's also why anorexic girls do it because there is a "natural high."
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    i am eating around 800 calories under my BMR + Active Burn. this does not include my calories burned through exercise, which you can say add upto 250-450 calories.

essencially, my deficit hovers around 800--1200 calories. I still eat around 1900 calories a day.

i feel fine, i eat well, and my weight loss is going well.

am i doing something wrong?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member
    i am eating around 700 calories under my BMR + Active Burn. this does not include my calories burned through exercise, which you can say add upto 250-450 calories.

essencially, my deficit hovers around 800-1000 calories. I still eat almost around 1900 calories a day.

i feel fine, and my weight loss is going well.
    I doubt your BMR is 2600.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    i am eating around 700 calories under my BMR + Active Burn. this does not include my calories burned through exercise, which you can say add upto 250-450 calories.

essencially, my deficit hovers around 800-1000 calories. I still eat almost around 1900 calories a day.

BMR: 2294
    Active Burn: 458.8
    TOTAL: 2,752.8
    Calories consumed: 1900
    Caloric Deficit: 852.8
    Calories Burnd Via Exercise: 200-400
    TOTAL CALORIC DEFICIT: 1052.8-1252.8

So, am i doing something wrong here? I read that it is fine for an obese male to take a maximum caloric deficit of 1400 calories.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I do think at a certain level, eating too close or below the BMR can affect energy level, and it's not all "psychological." I'm at or near normal weight, and if I go under 1200 on a particular day, I do feel light headed, irritable, and lacking in energy.
    Do you think it's because 1200 is near your BMR or because 1200 is just a fairly low calorie level for everyone?

I'm referring more to the people who have a BMR that is significantly higher than 1200 but MFP suggests 1200 to them (or something else below their BMR). That's the question I see all the time-- "MFP tells me 1400 but my BMR is 1660, is MFP suggesting a dangerously low calorie level?"
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    I do think at a certain level, eating too close or below the BMR can affect energy level, and it's not all "psychological." I'm at or near normal weight, and if I go under 1200 on a particular day, I do feel light headed, irritable, and lacking in energy.
    Do you think it's because 1200 is near your BMR or because 1200 is just a fairly low calorie level for everyone?

I'm referring more to the people who have a BMR that is significantly higher than 1200 but MFP suggests 1200 to them (or something else below their BMR). That's the question I see all the time-- "MFP tells me 1400 but my BMR is 1660, is MFP suggesting a dangerously low calorie level?"
    Probably also because being near normal weight means lower fat stores to call on to make up the difference between what is eaten and what the body needs.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member

So, am i doing something wrong here? I read that it is fine for an obese male to take a maximum caloric deficit of 1400 calories.

You're perfectly fine at 1900 calories, provided you're losing weight and feeling fine.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    when you eat below your BMR your body gets its fuel from other places than just fat, lean tissue, muscle, even organs if you go long enough and far enough below.
    No one's talking about doing it concentration camp style.

I have about 80 pounds of fat. At 31 calories per pound per day, metabolizing my organs probably won't be an issue for quite a while.

This!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member

Probably also because being near normal weight means lower fat stores to call on to make up the difference between what is eaten and what the body needs.

This.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Doing the math wrong and understanding what your body burns.

There is a whole lot more in your daily burn than BMR and active burn, if by that you mean exercise.
    About 10% of food you eat is burned in processing it.
    Your daily activity burns a bit depending on job.
    Then your exercise is added too.

Eating around 2000 would indeed give you that 1000 cal deficit on average.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Confused. LOL

I wouldn't worry about your BMR. Just pick a deficit that seems reasonable to you and take it off of your TDEE (or just use MFP).

If your BMR is 1900 to 2150 and you are sedentary, then you'd have a TDEE of 2280 to 2580. If you are more active, it would be higher. If MFP tells you to eat 1820 to lose 1 lb a week, that means it is estimating your maintenance (without exercise) at about 2320, which is perfectly consistent with that range.

If you are happy losing 1 lb/week, I'd start with the MFP number and see what you actually lose and then adjust. Remember that the way MFP works is that you add back in your exercise calories or some reasonable amount of them, which is yet another reason why worry about whether your BMR is below your MFP goal seems an unnecessary complication. A deficit of 500 when you have a lot to lose is not overly aggressive for most people.