How should I list a Pure Barre Workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• cristin343
    Options
    I am guessing that if a larger person performs the same exercise, more calories are burned.... When i put in 60 minutes of "Circuit training, general", it tells me that i burned 569 calories (i'm 5'11). Do other people see a different #?
    These classes are serious workouts.... not your typical circuit training. i would almost compare it to cross fit, maybe not quite as extreme.
  • Dlevy123
    Dlevy123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I put in Circuit training, general it says I burned 690. I'm 5'7 and 190 pounds. I guess it takes your height and weight into account.
  • deens28
    deens28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I split it between "dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern", and "calisthenics - vigorous effort". These are already listed under "cardiovasclar Exercises" in My Fitness Pal. I usually split it half and half when i take a class... between the pushups, ab work and weights, but with the videos I usually put about 5-10min less under calisthenics and add it to the dance side...
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I made a "Bar Method" exercise in the database based on my calorie expenditure. It's very, very similar to Pure Barre.

I usually get about 300 calories or less according to my HRM. This is for a 5"1" 110# woman.

EDIT: I should add that this was for the advanced classes. The burn for these workouts isn't really that high since you're making small controlled movements. That's not to say they aren't fantastic though. I love them!
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I count my fluidity as "dance, ballet" in cardio. HOWEVER... I was a ballerina (amateur) up to a couple years ago when I got my knee replaced and I do the workout en pointe so that ups the calorie burn... and the difficulty. Just my 2 cents.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    When I put in Circuit training, general it says I burned 690. I'm 5'7 and 190 pounds. I guess it takes your height and weight into account.

Circuit training is a combination of strength training & cardio ......and MFP's values are really high.

Most of the barre workouts listed below have no cardio element. Logging as pilates or general strength training might be closer

http://www.collagevideo.com/searchresults.aspx?type=all&search=pure+barre
  • lee1975jones
    lee1975jones Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics - that is what you should list it as
  • Dlevy123
    Dlevy123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I ended up just seeing this but I never used Circuit training as an exercise log for barre. Someone asked if people get a different number of calories burned so I tried it out to answer her question.
  • zierkemom
    Options
    How long are those DVDs? I'm
    Almost your same size and trying to figure out how to log
    My barre3 DVDs. Thx!