Birthday party for someone at work

not to mention it's someone I do not like.

But the company is not only ordering pizza, my boss is bringing a bourbon spice cake and there will be a bourbon bar. I don't want to break my fast for this. How am I going to get out of eating any of this? I'm not worried I'll be tempted to but my boss will say something if I do not partake.

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Damn I want your job or at least your boss. I've got nothing else cause I would be eating the pizza and the cake
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Damn I want your job or at least your boss. I've got nothing else cause I would be eating the pizza and the cake

Ditto.... :drinker:
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    I would, but I'm not usually hungry until evening, when I have dinner. My plan is working for me, today was the first day I could really tell that it's working, and I don't want to wreck my progress.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Just bring your own food and don't eat theirs! Or have a little bit and go to the gym later. That sounds like an awesome celebration.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    One meal won't wreck your progress, but if you don't want it don't eat it. But I'll sit here jealous cause I need a boss like that
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    A bourbon bar????!!! I want your job.

Sorry, that's not helpful. Any chance you could fit a small treat into your plan for the day??
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Just don't eat it and tell everyone you have an 'upset stomach'. Or call out sick and take the day off :)
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    I'd take a plate of whatever everyone else is eating, a smaller portion though and just act like you're eating it, this worked for me at the last birthday party. Walk around with it and then casually dump it when everyone else is done.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I would just pack my lunch and eat that. No big deal. Happens all the time in my office.

(That cake doesn't even sound good to me. Chocolate is the one true cake. Anything else is unnecessary.)
  • Veil5577
    I know I sound ungrateful, and yes, I have a great job and a great boss, if I were not trying to lose weight.

I didn't mention this in my original post because I don't want to hear the flak I know I'll get. But I am doing intermittent fasting. I eat one meal a day. I'm only in my second week of this and my body is adjusting to the one meal and at the time of day I have it.

I allow myself two meals on Saturdays. I suppose I could change that to Friday (the day of the party) and resume my fast on Saturday.
  • Veil5577
    I'd take a plate of whatever everyone else is eating, a smaller portion though and just act like you're eating it, this worked for me at the last birthday party. Walk around with it and then casually dump it when everyone else is done.

That's a thought. It will require sneakiness, which I am particularly good at. :tongue:
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    not to mention it's someone I do not like.

But the company is not only ordering pizza, my boss is bringing a bourbon spice cake and there will be a bourbon bar. I don't want to break my fast for this. How am I going to get out of eating any of this? I'm not worried I'll be tempted to but my boss will say something if I do not partake.

Take a piece of the cake, and ship it to me! That sounds SO good!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member

That's a thought. It will require sneakiness, which I am particularly good at. :tongue:

done this a few times
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I seriously would not make up any excuse like an upset stomach or anything. Just don't eat the food. When you don't offer excuses, the vast majority of people just move on. You don't have to explain yourself all of the time. Too many people (especially women) seem to feel like they have to explain this stuff when they really don't.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    I've been following IF for over a year now. But you can adjust the feeding window for the day. It helps with adherence but using some flexibility helps keep it sustainable. I typically eat 1-2 meals a day it works well for me, about twice a month we go out for breakfast so I just adjust for that day.
  • AuroraD82
    AuroraD82 Posts: 56 Member
    I seriously would not make up any excuse like an upset stomach or anything. Just don't eat the food. When you don't offer excuses, the vast majority of people just move on. You don't have to explain yourself all of the time. Too many people (especially women) seem to feel like they have to explain this stuff when they really don't.

I agree with this and admit to being guilty of this as well. At the same time, it might be good to make an appearance say your salutations and then just find yourself something else to do. Although weren't you getting bored of your prepared meal? Could this be the meal? and just move everything over one day?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Just be there, socialize, say happy birthday, and don't eat. It would be incredibly rude for someone to point out that you're not eating, although I know that won't stop people who are determined to be rude. Be pleasant and social and most people won't care.

For the ones that do, just say "I'm not hungry" or tell them that you're fasting. People fast for many reasons, so a lot of people don't question it. Hey, my boss (who isn't dieting) did a two day fast a few months ago because he read about the health benefits. No one gave him a hard time about it.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Some of these questions are so simple.

Just pretend like you tripped and fall on the cake. Oops. Everyone's fun is ruined. FTW!!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    Can you just show up a little late (after people are through the food line ups)? And then people will be done for the most part? You could then say you had some already if anyone notices or asks. How big of a group is it?

As for the cake... just say that bourbon gives you the poops so you have to avoid it. People stop asking once you've gone the route of TMI haha. Of course if it were me... this statement would probably be true. Can't seem to process alcohol.
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member

Yes, this. Remember what it was like to be a child pushing food you didn't like all around your plate. Then discretely toss. :)