Yes, I want a nice stomach

Options
So, I've been at this awhile now. My weight is down to 158, and while it's exciting to see that 5 in the tens position, I still have kind of an unsightly stomach in spite of my ribs being visible (I can see my heart beating through my chest, which while kind of freaky at first, is also sorta neat.)

Now that said, and yes, I've been advised here already that long more weight isn't the answer, I'm seeing for myself that just shedding pounds won't do it. I still plan to drop a final eight pounds to see what 150 feels like, the weight my doctor said is minimum healthy, but it know eight pounds won't get me a six pack.

That said, I've been doing just two resistance type exercisrs: crunches and push ups. I know I should do others, but I no longer have a gym membership. Will these two exercises get me there? (I don't want ripped arms, I'm hoping those two things can get me a fit looking chest and stomach, and my legs already look great from running.)

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You really should be doing compound lifting. But if you are at a very low weight and you don' t have abs yet, its probably a body composition issue, which would require a bulk to fix it. Is there a way you can get a gym membership or some equipment?
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you want more inexpensive choices there's some great calisthenics out there that can be done at home.

Pull ups
    Planks (front and side)
    Air squats
    Lunges

I'm sure there's many more. These are some of my favorites.
  • dcamell
    dcamell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The best equipment I have access to is pulley based resistance machines with plates (chest press, butterflies, things like that.) but no free weights. I'll also look into the suggested calisthenics, but if my only focus is my stomach, are weights (and not body weight exercises) strictly necessary?
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I second the compound lifts comment. But as you don't seem to be able to go that route, let me recommend some bodyweight stuff.

Al Kavadlo is a bodyweight exercise guru. His page is here: http://www.alkavadlo.com/

Check out his page, YouTube channel, and Facebook page. Bodyweight exercises can be a solid path to go down if you want a certain aesthetic and strength.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Worst case is you get down to the 150 mark, not like the results and then find a way to achieve your goal. I suspect, based on similar post, you will need to do a bulk. Use the equipment you have or possibility pick up some selecttech dumbbells or resistance bands to see if you can get the results you desire. Also, you dont need to do all stomach exercises. Working total body is fine because you get a flat stomach by lowering your overall body fat and having good lean body mass. if you don't have one, you need a plan to get both.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I just started working on my abdominal muscles, too. I'm doing crunches, planking and six inches.

If you want to look up six inches, add the word "muscle" to the search, otherwise you get ickiness. It's just lying on your back and holding your feet six inches off the ground, anyway. It works!!

I hate the gym. I do everything I can to stay out of it, lol.
  • dcamell
    dcamell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'v opened both links in my browser for further research when I'm off work, thanks people. I'll have to keep a close eye particularly on be percent I think because I spite of my declining weight, calipers and the US army measurement method of tracking it both clock me in around fifteen, which I know is significantly new North of where one expects to start seeing that. I'm a little uneasy too about the loose skin generated by fifteen inches lost and how that'll impact my results, but I'm still keeping my chin up, I know I haven't experienced maximum retraction there and likely won't til this time next year at the soonest.