This topic has ALWAYS been my downfall

Options
I have tried all kinds of diets, gyms, eating trends, etc. I have yet to stick with anything and be happy. I do like working out, not so much now that i let myself go, but i found joy in it and i would always feel great. It's my eating that is killing me. I have no willpower what so ever. I can never get my portions right, or the types of food right... It has, and i'm afraid will always, be my downfall.

Please share some recipes, tips, anything! Measuring tips, what kind of quick meals are budget friendly? I cannot afford to see an actual nutritionist (not even with insurance). Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Have you used a food scale before?
    That's been a great help to me in getting my diet wired tight. Also by using it over time, you get a sense of where stuff typically is at, so it's easier to make estimates when you're eating out or with friends.
    qg1MHoI.jpg
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Buying a food scale will help you start getting your portions right. The willpower issue is harder to deal with. You just have to work at it. For me, measuring and logging foods here helped a lot. When I wasn't keeping track of things, it was easy to keep eating stuff just because it was there. Now that I can see what that does to my calorie total, it's easier to refrain.
  • kem316
    kem316 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I've tried every diet out there. No carb, low carb, low fat, gluten-free, sugar-free, etc. I couldn't stick to anything long term because I finally gave into cravings at some point and got tired of depriving myself. Now, nothing is off limits. If I want something, I eat it. I just make sure its in my calorie allowance and that I'm getting enough protein. I also weigh everything. And log everything that I put in my mouth. Everything. Even if I had a higher calorie "cheat" meal. I think that's huge to whether you'll be successful. Before I would log most things and it would usually be estimations. I was probably 100s of calories over my limit most days just because I wasn't logging accurately or 100%. I also started running and lifting which ups my calorie allowance to about 1800-1900/day and still has me losing about 1.5-2lbs/week. I've been at this about two months and this is the first time in my life that I can see myself going all the way.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You have to stop thinking of it as a diet. Don't deprive yourself. That will just make you binge when you can't take it anymore.You can eat what you want, but you have to budget for it. I'm not great about weighing things (especially meat and vegetables), but I use a lot of measuring cups and spoons and prepackaged servings of snacks (I love the trail mix packs at Target!) Remember to eat slowly too. It takes a while for your brain to catch up with your stomach and realize that you aren't hungry anymore. Put your utensils down between and drink some water between bites. Maybe Google mindful eating and look into that. It makes you pay more attention to your food and enjoy it more.

It was a little hard for me to get used to not being completely full at the end of meals, but it pays off!

Good luck!
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Also, knock off the defeatist attitude. If you keep saying it will always be your downfall, then it will be. You have to psych yourself up! You can do it!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have tried all kinds of diets, gyms, eating trends, etc. I have yet to stick with anything and be happy. I do like working out, not so much now that i let myself go, but i found joy in it and i would always feel great. It's my eating that is killing me. I have no willpower what so ever. I can never get my portions right, or the types of food right... It has, and i'm afraid will always, be my downfall.

Please share some recipes, tips, anything! Measuring tips, what kind of quick meals are budget friendly? I cannot afford to see an actual nutritionist (not even with insurance). Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

You obviously aren't mentally ready to make a change. It's very easy once you've made that decision to make a change to make all the changes you are questioning. You don't actually want to make the change, put in the work, make the commitment yet. You'll get there one day or maybe not ever... it's really up to you and no one else. Think of where you would be today if you made that decision a year ago today ... 2 years ago... 5 years ago..
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    In addition to weighing and measuring, and logging accurately, try using your food diary to PLAN your day in advance. It's easier to stay on track if you plan ahead and know what fits your calories & macros for the day, rather than eating whatever and then logging. Once you've got some good habits, you may not have to plan in advance as much. Package healthy snacks in one-serving baggies or containers. Always have a healthy snack with you (a banana, a small amount of almonds, etc.). Drink enough water. For me, it's helpful to make sure I hit my protein and fiber goals; those two things help me feel full better than carbs. You might want to use a meal replacement shake or simple protein shake for one meal if it helps to have the calories and portion more controlled.

You can do this! :-)
  • kem316
    kem316 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    In addition to weighing and measuring, and logging accurately, try using your food diary to PLAN your day in advance. It's easier to stay on track if you plan ahead and know what fits your calories & macros for the day, rather than eating whatever and then logging. Once you've got some good habits, you may not have to plan in advance as much. Package healthy snacks in one-serving baggies or containers. Always have a healthy snack with you (a banana, a small amount of almonds, etc.). Drink enough water. For me, it's helpful to make sure I hit my protein and fiber goals; those two things help me feel full better than carbs. You might want to use a meal replacement shake or simple protein shake for one meal if it helps to have the calories and portion more controlled.

Yes! Especially the planning your day in advance
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider implementing some environmental changes to make it less stressful on yourself to make better food and lifestyle choices.

For one example you could consider keeping nutrient dense and calorie sparse foods like fruits and vegetables present in your environment and move the energy dense/nutrient sparse foods (chips, cakes/etc) to locations that are less convenient and also not visible to you in your every-day life. This can potentially make you eat these foods less often, and it will also cause you to think about them less often.

Just to elaborate if you normally have a bag of chips open on the counter, seal it and move it to a cupboard that you seldom open and you will likely think about the chips less frequently and you will also not be forced to choose whether or not to eat the chips as often as you would had they been sitting on the counter top.

This has the benefit of possibly causing you to eat less but it also benefits you in causing you to choose less often.
  • BW4469
    Options
    Thank you all for the tips and examples. I will buy a scale tomorrow and start logging absolutely everything. This helps a lot!
  • BW4469
    Options

That is a fantastic idea!! Thank you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider implementing some environmental changes to make it less stressful on yourself to make better food and lifestyle choices.

For one example you could consider keeping nutrient dense and calorie sparse foods like fruits and vegetables present in your environment and move the energy dense/nutrient sparse foods (chips, cakes/etc) to locations that are less convenient and also not visible to you in your every-day life. This can potentially make you eat these foods less often, and it will also cause you to think about them less often.

Just to elaborate if you normally have a bag of chips open on the counter, seal it and move it to a cupboard that you seldom open and you will likely think about the chips less frequently and you will also not be forced to choose whether or not to eat the chips as often as you would had they been sitting on the counter top.

This has the benefit of possibly causing you to eat less but it also benefits you in causing you to choose less often.
    Great post.
  • BW4469
    Options

I will be sure to go home and do this tonight. It is only my husband and I in the house and he has already said he is more than willing to help with all this and even join because according to him he "could use to shed some" lol. But really, thank you!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Accurate logging will certainly keep you honest. However, when someone makes the statement questioning their willpower (or outright denying its existence), then the solution tends to be a lot of trial and error. I think that's partly because people tend to mean different things when make those types of statements.

You could try to find foods that you really enjoy that aren't that dense for calories. Strawberries, for example, are very low calorie. I imagine they're cheaper if you get them frozen.

Limit foods that you enjoy "too much." I like corn chips, alot. And there's nothing wrong with eating corn chips, but I never want just a serving. If I'm going to have a serving, I might as well have 8. If I go to a restaurant that serves them, I will just mindlessly eat them well past feeling full because of the pleasure factor. With that in mind, I don't keep corn chips in the house. If I get craving for them, I'll make a special trip to the store and buy only what I plan to eat that day.