How long is your commute to work?

Options

Replies

• coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Currently a 5-day teleworker, so just a walk to my home office downstairs. On the rare occasion I need to go onsite (like yesterday), it's about 20-25 min from my driveway to the parking deck entrance. But between finding a spot, walking across the street, going through man-traps and security checks, etc., I have to tack on another 15 min.
    I've been lucky that the longest regular commute I've every had in my working life was 45 min each way. But then again, that was a weekend job as a teenager and I took surface streets to avoid tolls. 1+hour commutes are a foreign concept to me but I know a LOT of people who do them. I know one guy who regularly does 2+ hours each way! Heaven help him.
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    Maybe 5 seconds if my dog is in my way. Work from a home office.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Oh, Houston how I love/loathe thee.

No HOV, leaving after 6am - 45-1hr.
    With HOV, leaving after 6:30 - same as above.

With/without HOV leaving between 5:30-5:45 - 30-45 minutes.

Add 10-15 for rain.

Subtract 5-7 for summer vacation months.

Add 10 for M-Th School in/College days.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Used to be two hours. Now, it shouldn't have taken two hours at only forty miles, but this was Los Angeles traffic. It really is that bad. I was coming from long beach (Belmont shore, across from the beach) going to Beverly hills.
    Now I go to Irvine and its a 20 mile commute, 25 mins.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    However long it takes me to pour a cup of coffee and sit at my desk... working from home has it's advantages
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Used to be 45mins @ 75mph, one way. As of Tuesday, it became 3 min by car, <5 walking, 0.25miles away. (Basically, I live at the top of a hill, and my office is at the bottom.)

WIN!!!!!
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    5min walk to take the kids to school then 10/15min bike ride to work (3miles). I hate been stuck in traffic, would be 1/2 hour or mor by car..
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    30 minutes. that is too long!!! i waste an entire hour of my day in the car (longer if there's traffic)
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    30 minutes, 6.5 miles one way. By bicycle. I get in an hour of exercise every day, just going to and from work... and it only takes 20 minutes longer every day than if I drove. Plus I save $5 every day I don't pay for parking. Win win win!
  • QAPmom
    QAPmom Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    35 miles but my husband and I work at the same place, then he runs our 7 year old into town 5 miles for daycare/school drop off once he drops me off.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    25-30 minutes in the summer when traffic is good. 40-50 minutes once the kids return to school and traffic is exponentially worse.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    20 minutes. It was 5 by car or 10-15 by bike previously, and I miss that.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    90 minutes by public transport one way. In the evening it's usually more. Until recently I needed a minimum of two hour in the morning and more at night.
    I now work half the time in an office and the other half at home, where it takes me 6 seconds to get from pouring coffee in the kitchen to the office....:o).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Depends on time of day (traffic), but no more than 10 minutes. In the morning, around five minutes.
  • WandaWoman41
    WandaWoman41 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My commute to work is an hour until 9/9/14. I'm getting laid off:sad: :ohwell: Such is life
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    7 minutes/ 3.5 miles. That was after we moved offices. Before that it was 3 minutes/ 1.5 miles. I would have loved to have walked it, but the roads I drive on are extremely dangerous for pedestrians. There have been at least 5 fatalities in the last 5 years where cars ran over people. Around here, nobody stops at stop signs or yields for pedestrians, so it's just not safe.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Oh, Houston how I love/loathe thee.

No HOV, leaving after 6am - 45-1hr.
    With HOV, leaving after 6:30 - same as above.

With/without HOV leaving between 5:30-5:45 - 30-45 minutes.

Add 10-15 for rain.

Subtract 5-7 for summer vacation months.

Add 10 for M-Th School in/College days.

same for me, but add an hour. It seems worse than ever this year...once schools started, most days are 2+ hours each way
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    My commute is about 25 miles each way. It used to take 45 min. to 1 hour. Then it became 1:15. Now, due to extensive road destruction and speed line repairs it can take close to 2 hours each way. I try to leave the house by 6 am to be at work before 8 am. This helps me beat a lot of bad traffic getting to the train and lets me take an earlier and less jammed train. I usually get something to eat and some coffee once I get into the city each day. I try to combine a few errands with my trips home in the PM but am usually home from 5:20 to 5:45 having left work at 4 PM.
  • Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    15-20 mins by car ... i wanted to get a bike and cycling it but no one seemed to think its a good idea.... worrying for my safety and whatnot
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I just moved over the weekend. With traffic my new bus route is about 40 minutes. That's counting from the time I leave my place until I get to work (which includes a bus transfer). Yesterday was longer as my first bus was late and I missed my connecting bus. Took my just over an hour to get to work as I had to wait and I was late as a result. Today I took the earlier bus and got here early.