15 Days In - Have Not Lost Any Weight

Options

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have that much to lose, maybe drop it to 1200 calories a day. And remember to drink tons of water!

Sorry but how does dropping to 1200 cal/day help her when she doesn't have that much to lose? If she doesn't, and really 20 lbs compared to my 80 is not much, then she doesn't need to drop her calorie intake.

Also, 1200 calories is a ridiculous number that everyone seems to stick to. Unless you've done the math based on your BMR and TDEE . . . it's an arbitrary number, period.

Well it worked for me so I figured it would work for the OP as well. No need to be snarky - I was just offering advice based on my personal experience.

Sorry but offering this kind of advice when 1,200 is bordering on not healthy for so many people really bothers me!

Cutting calories when you have a little weight to lose isn't going to help - it's more about shaking it up because believe it or not, losing more weight kind of is easier than when you only have like 10 - 25lbs to lose.

According to my doctor, 1200 is healthy and fine for me.

And after all - isn't all the adivce given here based on personal experience. Unless, of course, you have a medical degree?

Don't be rude just because what works for me doesn't work for you, or give me an attitude because you don't agree with me.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Since you don't have that much to lose, maybe drop it to 1200 calories a day. And remember to drink tons of water!

Sorry but how does dropping to 1200 cal/day help her when she doesn't have that much to lose? If she doesn't, and really 20 lbs compared to my 80 is not much, then she doesn't need to drop her calorie intake.

Also, 1200 calories is a ridiculous number that everyone seems to stick to. Unless you've done the math based on your BMR and TDEE . . . it's an arbitrary number, period.

Well it worked for me so I figured it would work for the OP as well. No need to be snarky - I was just offering advice based on my personal experience.

Sorry but offering this kind of advice when 1,200 is bordering on not healthy for so many people really bothers me!

Cutting calories when you have a little weight to lose isn't going to help - it's more about shaking it up because believe it or not, losing more weight kind of is easier than when you only have like 10 - 25lbs to lose.

And after all - isn't all the adivce given here based on personal experience. Unless, of course, you have a medical degree?

Don't be rude just because what works for me doesn't work for you, or give me an attitude because you don't agree with me.

immediately telling someone that has been here and trying something for only 15 days... to drop to 1200 calories.. because it worked for you is just bad advice.

tell them to figure out what works for them, not trying what worked for you.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

immediately telling someone that has been here and trying something for only 15 days... to drop to 1200 calories.. because it worked for you is just bad advice.

tell them to figure out what works for them, not trying what worked for you.

Amen!

Everyone's body is different but what is common among all of us is a BMR and a TDEE . . . sure, I might have the same numbers as someone else but my lifestyle is way different or something about me isn't the same. This is also about being healthy and doing the best thing for your body . . . whatever that is. Figuring out a BMR and sticking to that or a TDEE - 20% are both common methods of figuring out a range that will most likely work for you.

I eat 2,000 calories/day and have lost on that. I am not going to recommend that to people because a) I'm 5'9/10ish (so pretty tall), b) I started at 320lbs . . . not everyone was ever that big and c) I do spin 3 days a week and heavy lifting 3 days a week, not everyone does that either but this works for me. If she wants to try it, I'm more than happy to talk about what I've learned but not every woman will want to lift or to do spin.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Wow....I've only been in this community for a couple of weeks and I can't believe how harsh ya'll are.

I'm walking away and will get my support elsewhere.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Wow....I've only been in this community for a couple of weeks and I can't believe how harsh ya'll are.

Fine.

Or, you could stay and understand why what you're doing is giving a direction, not tools to help people find their own solutions. Besides, you've been a member here longer than I have. Not sure how that's just a couple of weeks, but that's cool too.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

There's so many myths about losing weight out there and some of them (not all, but some) cause a lot of harm to your body down the road. This isn't to say it's not working for you but what is working for you could cause harm to someone else.

People need to know how to figure out what works for them, not what worked for Joe and just immediately implement into their life.

Many people are gluten free, carb free, low carb, vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, etc etc. I don't follow any of those diets, but they work in their own ways. I eat what I want to and I do this based on my lifestyle. It's not about being "harsh" it's about education and how it important it is to have the tools for life, not just being a size 2 for 6 months.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    I've only used this community for a few weeks - I've had the app on and off for a while.

One last thing:

OK - OP - if you're still here, my advice to you would be to go get a physical and speak to your doctor about your health goals and have him/her help you come up with a plan that works for you. That's what I've done and it's worked great. Also have your doctor check your thyroid and whatnot.

Ok - I'm done. bye bye
  • AuroraD82
    AuroraD82 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drop your calories to 1200. You'll starve. Give it another 2 weeks. Sometimes it takes a while. Also, might help to measure and see if you lost any inches. Weight is not the only measurement that matters, especially if you feel good.

Feel good, and don't get too discouraged.
    I honestly had the same problem until I found this site and meticulously kept an eye on calories. I actually gained weight for a few weeks trying to just keep an eye on what I ate. I needed to look right at it with both eyes.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

No. Just so much NO.

I went here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and put in your info, choosing sedentary with -20% calorie reduction & lost fat and got your BMR of 1521, TDEE of 1826, and calorie goal of 1460.

Research the terms if you are unfamiliar, but a food scale, and measure other than your weight. Tape measure & body fat are two other measurements that can show progress.

ETA: and take progress pics. I have not lost a single pound in MONTHS. But since I lift weights, I actually am recompositioning (is that a word?) my body. I know this because my body fat % has gone down almost 10% and I LOOK better and more slender. To hell with the scale!
  • IMissMySlimmerMe
    Options
    Hi. We appear to be separated at birth! I'm 38, 182 with similar target and like swimming and yoga too.

Feel free to add me as a friend and we can do this together :)
  • kioniasw
    Options
    Hi do not get discouraged when your body is adjusting to the changes you are making you may not see results at first. Also do not just make my fitness pal just a log of what you are eating. Think about what is in it. Watch breads, pastas, white rice. For instance I only exercise about ten minutes a day of high impact aerobics and at first I saw no results especially the first two weeks. It has been two months and I have lost 15 pounds. My help to you is set a day you will get on the scale and the five or seven days you are not on it focus on portions and knowing that is more than about the weight but making day by day life-style changes that will once the weight is lost keep it off. I am over 200 lbs but today for me it is more about changing my life-style and food choices and that all takes time.

Again do not get discouraged the weight will come off. I did not even track my highest on fitness pal, but I know and now I am working my down.

Be encouraged.
  • wthetri01
    Options
    I had a terrible time losing any weight, couldn't get under the 142 mark at 1400 calories a day. Now, in the past few weeks, I have cut out the sugar and bad carbs which cause terrible blood sugar spikes. I am still eating 1400 calories a day, and sometimes 1500 and the scale is now moving down. At 136lbs now, and the only thing that made it move was really cutting back on the carbs. It's tough for the first three days because your body is adjusting to this and there are lots of cravings. But, after three days, the cravings start to disappear. The glycemic index of foods do count in this. I don't care if people say calories in and calories out......didn't work for me and I don't have those horrible blood spikes then crashes, where you try to eat everything is sight.

So, for breakfast I had a couple of scrambled eggs with some salsa and cheese which was around 300 calories. Had a romaine salad with chop roasted chicken with lite ranch dressing for lunch, which was around 300 calories. A piece of cheese for a snack....70 calories. For dinner I am going to have a lean grilled pork chop with steamed broccoli and cauliflower with a little Brummel and Brown spread, and garlic powder. And maybe a few strawberries for dessert with some lite REAL whipped cream (which just has a tad bit of sugar). The sugar free puddings are also good with the strawberries, or sometimes I have blackberries. Just depends how low carb you want to go, but I have found that if I stay in around 50 carbs and no more than 60 carbs a day, along with a 1400 calorie diet, the scale started moving! Some people will say this is too much fat in the diet, but research is now showing otherwise. It's all about the glycemic index, and having a little extra fat is better than being fat!!! This has to be a lifestyle change though, because if you lay back into the carbs, the weight will come right back. Not saying never eat a piece of bday cake or a brownie, just here and there!

I am 5'4, now at 136 pounds.....I was in the beginning before I joined myfitnesspal at 160 pounds, hit the plateau at 140 pounds and stayed at that for years. Now the scale is moving again! I only walk 30 minutes a day, and light weights. And at age 49, I am doing pretty good AND GETTING SO MANY COMPLIMENTS! YEA!
  • wthetri01
    Options
    kioniasw-

Great post, yes those white carbs will get ya! Glycemic Index counts, and these white carbs just make you hungry all day long. They are very addictive.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Three things:

1) You've been at it for 2 weeks. You expected to lose 2 lbs in that time. Your weight fluctuates with water etc by +/- 2 or 3 lbs. So even if things are changing, you might not have seen a difference in that time. If you KNOW you're eating less than you were, stick with it and you should see a change soon enough. It took me 4 weeks until I could tell the new eating plan was working.

2) You mentioned that you're exercising. If you are logging your exercise and "eating back" your calories daily as reported on this site, you could be over your goal. The site overreports calories burned. My suggestion is to cut the time in half when you log it. So if you do 30 minutes of cardio, log it as 15 minutes. Now your "goal" for the day will be adjusted upward by the 100 or so calories you burned, and you know how much you can eat for the day.

(Some people take a different approach, don't log their workouts, and eat the same every day regardless of whether or not they exercised. That may be easier if you tend to exercise about the same amount every day. It doesn't work for me because my exercise pattern is "all or nothing" - e.g. totally sedentary days mixed with 6 hours of hiking.)

3) Ignore the people who say "eat more if you're not losing". That's clearly ridiculous advice UNLESS the reason you're not losing is that you have no energy for workouts you were doing before. If you were sedentary before, eating more will not help you lose weight! There are good reasons to eat more, of course, like if you're struggling with hunger, you're undernourished, or you lack energy for daily activities.

Good luck, feel free to friend me.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    kioniasw-

Great post, yes those white carbs will get ya! Glycemic Index counts, and these white carbs just make you hungry all day long. They are very addictive.

:noway: like crack? I like how every thread degenerates to blaming glycemic index and sugar.

Unless you have a medical condition, there's REALLY no reason to worry about them. Logging everything you eat accurately and diligently is KEY. For weight loss it really is calories in vs out.

For health, moderation is a factor. Finding foods that help you meet your macro/micro goals are important.

I've been known to eat pints of gelato in a sitting. I've lost 53 lbs.

Where's my fairy wand?

ETA: Learning to find foods that are satiating is an important factor to making this sustainable as well. As is not picking an overly aggressive calorie deficit.
  • wthetri01
    Options
    kioniasw-

:noway: like crack? I like how every thread degenerates to blaming glycemic index and sugar.

Unless you have a medical condition, there's REALLY no reason to worry about them. Logging everything you eat accurately and diligently is KEY. For weight loss it really is calories in vs out.

For health, moderation is a factor. Finding foods that help you meet your macro/micro goals are important.

Where's my fairy wand?

ETA: Learning to find foods that are satiating is an important factor to making this sustainable as well. As is not picking an overly aggressive calorie deficit.

Nope it does matter big time......so what if you can eat icecream all day long! Doesn't matter, most people can not! You say it's for diabetics only to worry about this, what about preventing Diabetes?

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/Patients_Visitors/pcs/nutrition/services/healtheweightforwomen/special_topics/intelihealth1002.aspx?subID=submenu10

I have studied this high and low, and doctors everywhere are talking about this. Go eat your icecream.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    kioniasw-

Where's my fairy wand?

Nope it does matter big time......so what if you can eat icecream all day long! Doesn't matter,most people can not! You say it's for diabetics only to worry about this, what about preventing Diabetes?

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/Patients_Visitors/pcs/nutrition/services/healtheweightforwomen/special_topics/intelihealth1002.aspx?subID=submenu10

I have studied this high and low, and doctors everywhere are talking about this. Go eat your icecream.

Lmfao. Who said I eat ice cream aaaall day? Nice strawman. Most people CAN fit these foods you're labeling bad into their day. Of course I'm not advising those with medical conditions to partake in this way. Even those with diabetes can have sugar, it just has to be regulated more than those without.

Prevention starts with maintaining your health, not pointing fingers at foods. Did you not read the part about moderation and balance? Just jumped on my pints. Don't blame ya. Ice cream is tasty.. .

http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

yeah, me too.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    kioniasw-

Where's my fairy wand?

Nope it does matter big time......so what if you can eat icecream all day long! Doesn't matter,most people can not! You say it's for diabetics only to worry about this, what about preventing Diabetes?

Lmfao. Who said I eat ice cream aaaall day? Nice strawman. Most people CAN fit these foods you're labeling bad into their day. Of course I'm not advising those with medical conditions to partake in this way. Even those with diabetes can have sugar, it just has to be regulated more than those without.

Prevention starts with maintaining your health, not pointing fingers at foods. Did you not read the part about moderation and balance? Just jumped on my pints. Don't blame ya. Ice cream is tasty.. .

http://www.fitnessbaddies.com/your-problem-with-sugar-is-the-problem-with-sugar/

I just want to commend you on the use of the word "strawman." Not seen often. :smile:
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Hey, OP, it's been 15 days. Keep doing what you're doing, get your exercise and you will see results. It may take longer than two weeks and maybe even longer than 4 weeks.

Just keep at it and stay off the scale. :flowerforyou: