Green tea for weight loss?

Hi everyone. I've heard alot about the benefits of drinking green tea, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I've heard that green tea, can help curb your appetite along with other health benefits. Now are we talking about straight up plain hot green tea...or do these fancier flavored green tea blends work as well? How much green tea should I be drinking per day? Thanks for any input!

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    I don't know how much it helps but, I drink a glass of Yogi Healthy Fasting or Yogi Peach DeTox everyday. Yummy!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    I think as long as it's not the prebottled green teas, you'll be fine!
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    I don't know about the health benefits but I drink Hot Green Tea (herbal, not the bottled stuff) all the time but recently (cause it's hot), I've brewed it, let it cool and put it in a pitcher or some container with a few slices of Lemon in the frig. I usually pour it over ice and add splenda before drinking it. MmMmm mmmm mmmm!

You can try other things like cucumber, oranges.. or whatever (I didn't like the orange flavor in my tea)
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    The whole idea here is to drink ONLY water and herbal UNSWEETENED teas...

The reason is that it has always been a great way to detoxify... especially the hot green tea, really flushes through you...

hope you get the answer you wanted :)
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    The whole idea here is to drink ONLY water and herbal UNSWEETENED teas...

The reason is that it has always been a great way to detoxify... especially the hot green tea, really flushes through you...

hope you get the answer you wanted :)
  • satousan88
    satousan88 Posts: 29
    I drink up to 1-2 litre of green tea a day because I love it, and never noticed ANY weight loss difference... dont know why so many people wish that tea helps with weight loss

lol workout instead
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    As with everything there is people who think one one side and there are people who think on the other. Green tea is unoxidized so basically it has the most "natural" health benefits but there again some people say the least amount of taste..lol

Green tea is supposed to Increase your metabolism, Increase energy, Block fat absorption, Boost the immune system, Promote healthier skin, Enhance focus and mental function, Fight the aging process, Promote oral health, and Protect the body against diseases but then again so does water.

It is all moderation I think. if you like green tea then drink it but if you don't care for it then don't put yourself through it. It all comes down to quaity of life.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    One person here on MFP, who "dramatically" lost 45 pounds shared some of this weight loss "tips". He stated that you had to cut out black pepper because it slow down weight loss. Yup, black pepper.

When I read "Food x is supposed to… or "What I heard was…", the credence I give to the post starts to fall.

Instead of repeating what people have heard or posting links to other MFP threads, what gets my attention are cited medical documents. And posting links to other threads is of zero value to me — saying the same thing over and over again does not make it any more true.

"Green tea for weight loss" - cite the study.

Here's my go to link for guzzling water -

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full

Credible source, the methodology is discussed, copious footnotes, conclusions are arrived at logically, and yet there are no absolutes.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    It's just another option for me as far as drinks go, I don't expect it to help me lose more weight! It has never stopped me from being hungry either.
  • Any green tea should work! Homemade! I'm not talking about Lipton's green tea in a bottle at the deli! It's best to brew tea yourself at home. Just water & tea. No extra chemicals or junk from packaged tea. It's not the real deal! :) It's best to get the loose leaves instead of the tea-bags since it's more in its raw taste...thus, more goodness. But of course it's a tad harder to find. Going to Chinatown.....you'd be in tea-heaven or Trader Joe's or even Whole Foods! The local supermarket has teas too but of course, health-stores & Asian places are the best for more varieties & better teas. Green tea DOES have amazing properties that helps not only with weight-loss but just keeping you healthy, like helping your nails, hair, skin, your insides. You'd be glowing! I add a bit of pure clover honey to my tea since I have a tad of a sweet-tooth! I also at times, when my tea-leaves are left at the end of my jug of tea...I add some more water to it and freeze them as cubes and then rub them on my eyes to reduce puffy-ness and the dark color! Hehe. Even freeze some of the tea and chuck them in the blender when I'm in the mood for smoothies, it's better than water. And it's natural & zero calories! Amazing :D Hope I helped you a tad. Good luck, xo.
  • Just buy a box of green tea bags and have at it :) If you wanted to be hoity toity there's lots of different varieties available!

(I'm obsessed with Hojicha which is a roasted, milder green tea that's traditionally had after dinner/before bed because of reduced caffeine and acids)

Straight up regular green tea might be an acquired taste because I don't remember liking it too much when was younger... I think I expected teas to be really sweet/fruity and thought it was kind of weird that it wasn't :P Honestly, though, any bottled/premade tea is going to be a "tea drink" and not actually tea, so as long as you stay away from that you can't lose :) A little bit of honey will take the edge off if you like!
  • ElisaRazz
    ElisaRazz Posts: 84 Member
    I drink up to 1-2 litre of green tea a day because I love it, and never noticed ANY weight loss difference... dont know why so many people wish that tea helps with weight loss

lol workout instead

Same with me, i love green tea.
    atm i have white tea leave and i mix it with a bit of pepermint tea... sooo good!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    I drink green tea, but I check the ingredients.

A hot, unsweetened tea is ideal. I do like a berry flavor though. I just don't want any sugar, sweeteners or acid.

If you read the ingredients on some bottled teas, you'll find that there is more citric acid than there is tea. Or more sugar. Those kinds of things aren't exactly healthy either. They aren't toxic, but they don't align with my goals either.

I can't honestly say that my green tea has been beneficial for my health, but I can say that it keeps me from drinking stuff that's worse sometimes. I will drink tea instead of pop or coffee. The coffee would be fine if I didn't load it up with creamer.
  • I drink sencha green tea!! Tastes amazing when it is warm!.n ya weighloss well its been 2 yrs i ve been drinking n i wouldn't say it will cause weighloss , i drink it for the taste