Amphetamines and weight loss

Options
I have been diagnosed with adult ADD and have been prescribed Adderall. I have been successfully losing weight before taking the it but am concerned about how to deal with taking it. I know that amphetamine use can lead to weight loss but haven't found a lot of decent information on the mechanism. If it's due to the side effect of appetite suppression then that's something I can deal with by making sure I take in enough calories whether I feel hungry or not but if it has an effect on metabolism then that's something altogether different that will require a different approach. If anyone here has experience with this and is willing to share, I would be most appreciative.

(I have no desire at all to debate the legitimacy of an ADD diagnosis or taking a doctor prescribed medication for the same so please don't bother if that's all you have to offer.)

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    As a teenager and an adult I've taken this and other similar drugs. It can lead to disordered eating problems but this because its an appetite suppressor. Watch for other side effects also this can affect sleeping habits and a few others that I can't remember. The webmd article on this one is fairly accurate if I'm remembering right. If it comes down to it set timers and get your friends and family to help you with the side effects.
  • marklpotter
    marklpotter Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I have a pretty well planned schedule so meal times are fairly set in stone. I'll have to worry about eating enough but not getting to the place (table or restaurant) where the food happens to be. I'm on a low does that seems to wear off about 3 PM for me so sleep hasn't been a problem yet, it's one of my favorite things so I hope it doesn't get all broken.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,567 Member
    Options
    I know the education we give clients (for their children, usually) is to have a good, hearty meal -before- you take your dose for the day, because it is definitely an appetite suppressant. It is far from uncommon (for children at least) to have their dosages adjusted because it affects their appetites to the point where otherwise normal body weight children actually lose weight on it.

You are an adult, and you say your dosage is low. Just be mindful of the side effects and keep doing what your doing :)
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad its working for you it just messed with me as an adult. If it comes to it healthy calorie dense foods work well my folks used pastas, casseroles, and cooking with things like butter and what not to help boost the caloric intake when I wasn't eating all that often because of how I react to these types of meds.
  • marklpotter
    marklpotter Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's not my first rodeo on the meds, it is my first time caring about my health and the meds. I was on Vyvanse last time and didn't lose anything due to the fact I ate like crap all the time. It might have negated some gain but I didn't care about weight, health, or anything like that. The meds are like a gift from God for me although I've known people who couldn't tolerate them. I really appreciate the openness and willing to share experiences on here, MFP and the community is one of the biggest reasons I'm able to keep going down this path.