Couch to 5K?

Options
I don't really like running, but I feel like I should be able to run at least a 5K. I would love to get started on the Couch to 5K program, however, I don't think I need to start on Week 1, Day 1. I tried starting there yesterday and honestly felt like I didn't get anything out of it/didn't push myself at all. Any recommendations for what week to start on for a person who is already doing cardio/working out a few times a week?

Replies

• FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question and someone on here (wish I could remember who) said sometimes for shorter runs all you have to do is get out there and run, without a training plan. Start of with, say, a mile. Run as much of it as you can and see how you feel after. If you had trouble, scale it back to half a mile and work your way up. If it was easy, up the mileage a little bit.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you. My suggestion would be to just keep moving up a week if you feel like the first workout for that week isn't challenging. In other words, you've already tried Week 1 so for your next session skip to Week 2, Day 1. If that isn't challenging, skip to Week 3, Day 1, and so on. You'll know when you've reached what you can do pretty quickly. Be careful, though. If I remember correctly, here's a big jump in running time a few weeks in. You may want to do the whole three workouts the week before you take that one on.

Good luck!
  • bonneycc
    bonneycc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I recommend doing a check on Week 3. The intervals for jogging become 3 minutes. From there, it's increases quickly. I'm on Week 7 now and I can say that it does help. Good Luck.
  • ypnenh
    Options
    Use an app like runntastic to work out the distance u have ran. If u can work out a 1k lap/ route even better, from there run the lap for 3 weeks and then try and do an extra lap for another 3 week, build on that till you reach your target.

Good luck. :)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    It isn't so much about your oxygen metabolism and "stamina" as it is about giving your body the time it needs to adapt to a new, more stressful way of moving. There are rest days for a reason and runners have developed this programme for beginners for a reason.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It isn't so much about your oxygen metabolism and "stamina" as it is about giving your body the time it needs to adapt to a new, more stressful way of moving. There are rest days for a reason and runners have developed this programme for beginners for a reason.
    Very good point and exactly why I suggested finding the week before the big jump in running time and doing all three days for that week.

Beginning runners are very subsceptible to overuse injury especially if they try to do too much too soon. In addition to making sure you only run three days each week, the days between the running days should consist of activity that's low impact. Biking, swimming, the elliptical, weight lifting, and yoga are all fine; 30 Day Shred (and similar workouts) and anything that has you bouncing around are not. Your joints and bones need the day off between running sessions to heal and strengthen.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    start on day one. What's three more weeks if you are planning on running for a decade? It'll build you up, give your body the chance to adapt to running and make the whole program easier.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    start on day one. What's three more weeks if you are planning on running for a decade? It'll build you up, give your body the chance to adapt to running and make the whole program easier.

This, what's the hurry?
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Start where you feel comfortable.

I started from week one and even had to repeat it! That's how out of shape I was. It worked for me, hated running, hated the burn and pain in my legs. But I sure do love it now!!!

Best of luck!

21525558.png
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I tried starting there yesterday and honestly felt like I didn't get anything out of it/didn't push myself at all. Any recommendations for what week to start on for a person who is already doing cardio/working out a few times a week?

You shouldn't feel like you're really pushing it. Most of the running you'll do in your life is "easy" or at a conversational speed. The intensity will increase quickly, but you should keep it slow and easy.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    I don't really like running, but I feel like I should be able to run at least a 5K. I would love to get started on the Couch to 5K program

Following on from likitisplit's great advice, if you really don't like running, why are you really doing it? The feeling that you should, will not help you if it gets difficult for you. Try to be honest and explicit with your aims and that will give you a better clue as to what training plan would really suit you. If you want to jump ahead you have had some alternate views. You need to pick one. I started where you did 12 weeks ago, and other than the mental challenge of week 5, I did not really struggle at any point. I got slower when I went from dreadmill to outside but ironically found it easier to feel my body and pace. I don't believe that the extra time in just following the programme was wasted. YMMV.

The reason for the challenge is that I was doing longer and longer runs from a similar position to yourself. I questioned why I was out for 60 mins running 3 days a week as the night draw in and the dawns get later. I now have a motivation to finish a half marathon, if I am confident of that I will start looking at a particular time. More importantly to me I needed a rationale for doing this.

I am looking forward to you graduating and reading about your thrice weekly success.
  • xochristianna
    xochristianna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't really like running, but I feel like I should be able to run at least a 5K. I would love to get started on the Couch to 5K program

Following on from likitisplit's great advice, if you really don't like running, why are you really doing it?

I guess because it is something that I was never good at - even when I was in the best physical shape of my life, dancing and playing soccer several hours a week - I dreaded distance running during practices. I see it as a personal/mental challenge that I really want to overcome. I like the idea of overcoming my boundaries much more than I dislike running. So that's why.

I did some interval training yesterday - not C25K and ended up doing about 4.5 miles in an hour - and this includes some minutes at inclines between 5-10.

As many of you have suggested, I may try to start on week 3. Even though some of you have said you really shouldn't be "pushing " yourself, I do want to make sure I'm making progress and making the most of my time at the gym.

Thanks all for your advice!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    You can join the C25k group and log your progress there. You will find some good advice and people of mixed abilities. I wish you well on your journey
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    why not do it yourself. I started running by feeling my way though it. Just walk for a bit and then run for a bit and then walk for a bit etc. My runs started out 10 seconds and my walks 30-40 seconds. Gradually I swapped walking for running until I could get around 1.5 miles very very slowly - I then built up the distance from this by just running. Until I tripped over and knackered my knee I ended up running 10 miles easy :-) You can do it :-) Just on another point, when I started to be able to run I found I really enjoyed it. It is one of my favourite things to do now. Good luck.