Eating right and still gaining :(

Options
2»

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I am eating a clean 1200 calorie diet, gluten free, high protein, lots of fruits and veggies. One would think that would = weight loss.

That's your problem right there. Eating "clean" foods has nothing to do with weight loss, and you shouldn't care about going gluten free unless you have a medical reason to do so. Gluten free products being healthy is a marketing gimmick to make you buy their products, not make you healthy.

Also, 1,200 is too low even for someone who doesn't move around at all. If you are active this is definitely too low.
    I have gained 3 lbs this week and am really frustrated.

Gaining 3 lbs of fat is pretty hard to do in one week, this can be attributed to a lot of things like water rention. Do you really think you consumed 3,500 times 3 = 10,500 calories? I highly doubt that. Don't track daily results, go by weekly and look for trends over a 4-6 week period.

Make sure you are weighing and measuring everything properly as well. If you don't have a kitchen scale get one.
    I am eating for fuel, not for pleasure and I am just really frustrated. No wheat, no potatoes, limited dairy, organic meat, fruits and veggies. Ugh!!!!:sad:

Lastly you should enjoy your food. You don't need to cut out anything, potatoes are not making you fat. Enjoy your favorite foods in moderation and track and measure everything. I highly recommend that you check out IIFYM, or if it fits your macros.

You can lose weight eating seemly healthy foods and I have nothing against eating whole / organic foods/products. However just like anything, you will gain weight if you eat at a calorie surplus. Health benefits aside, a calorie is a calorie in the end.
  • erinknurse1
    Options
    random thought- any chance you could be pregnant?
  • erinknurse1
    Options
    You are too funny. That would be the second Christmas!
  • erinknurse1
    Options
    I'm also hopping on the "you're eating more than you think" bandwagon.

For example - breakfast this morning, one of the items you logged was 1.5 oz of cream cheese. Did you just eat a spoonful of cream cheese? Because I don't see anything else listed that one would normally eat cream cheese with (eggs, banana, bacon & protein shake).

How do you manage to only eat 1.5 eggs every day?

There's lots of mis-matched brands, etc (ie - yesterday's lunch was "Sebastian's" greens, "Boars Head" meats and "Wendy's" dressing on your salad). I understand the need sometimes to use a 'best guess' with the database and do the same thing at times, but that also can lead to inaccurate tracking, as the "Brand X" dressing I actually had may have a significantly different nutrition profile than the "Wendy's"
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well - i'ts funny- I'm petrified of being pregnant and having children- so it's NOT something I want- and occasionally- due to the way I'm built- I wind up with this little almost baby bump... and it scares the bejesus out of me.

and when I am not losing- or it looks like I'm gaining- I have this panic moment for real that that's what it is. Odds are SO incredibly low for me that it's not that- I just have an abnormal fear of winding up in that condition- BUT... that doesn't mean it's not more of a reality and it's something to think about if there is any chance.

It doesn't get mentioned as often because it's rare for that to be the issue- BUT- it's worth thinking about.
  • erinknurse1
    Options
    Well, I cook three eggs and eat half on day 1 and half on day two. The fat free cream cheese was two 3/4 prepackaged containers, and the Wendy's salad dressing was a leftover packet I had in the fridge. I stir the cream cheese into the eggs to make them creamier. And yes the meat was boar's head, and yes I weighed it. I plan my food for the day the night before and pack it for work the next day. I work a twelve hour shift and thus have to pack multiple meals and my snacks. I don't mean to sound snarky because all your points are legitimate and valid for many folks.
    Thanks for your input, it really is appreciated.
  • erinknurse1
    Options
    You are too funny. That would be the second Christmas!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I would agree that if you are tracking correctly which after all the back and forth I believe you are, then your best bet is get to the doctors office.

How tall are you and what is your current weight? Also what are you doing for exercise?
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is extremely (and dangerously) low! You're starving your body and your metabolism has probably slowed down. Honestly I'd say try upping your calories to at least 1500 with low fat foods (fruits and veggies on top of what you're eating now) and see where that takes you. If you're gaining at 1200, you've got nothing to lose by upping your calories to a healthy amount.
    :)
  • brinkska
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies yet, but when I start working out and eating right I always gain a few pounds in the first week or two. Then it stays the same for about a month. However, after that, my weight just starts falling off somewhere between 2 to 3 lbs a week.
  • elliebaker1118
    Options
    Do you drink alcohol frequently? There are close to 200 calories in just one glass of wine. While you may think you are curbing your appetite and just enjoying a beverage, you might just be stuffing your stomach with empty calories.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I just started a new medication for nerve pain, and came off of hormones (have been on them for 5 years). I have had labs done and am under the care of a Physician. I am going to give my body some time to adjust to these changes and then will follow up as needed. I am not starving, quite the contrary. Just a little frustrated at the scale.

Sounds about right. I changed my birth control and instantly gained a few pounds. Hormones are tricky business.
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am eating a clean 1200 calorie diet, gluten free, high protein, lots of fruits and veggies. One would think that would = weight loss. I am gaining consistently. I have gained 3 lbs this week and am really frustrated. I had weight loss surgery 4 years ago and have gained about 20 lbs back after a 100lb loss. I am eating for fuel, not for pleasure and I am just really frustrated. No wheat, no potatoes, limited dairy, organic meat, fruits and veggies. Ugh!!!!:sad:

Are you exercising at all? Just curious, regardless yes it sounds like something is amiss. I too and in a similar boat so I'm very close to going to have my thyroid checked. Could really be the medication. They do affect people's weight.
  • wiseacre99
    wiseacre99 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why your eating so much "snack" food?

Your running 35 - 37% of your daily food in snack foods.

Not only is that "processed" foods they are notorious for being incorrect on labeling.

If I add your morning protein shake in your eating 50% of your calories on noting.

Why the protein shakes in the morning, are you working out and need to feed your muscles or just starving?
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I have recently had a change in medication, I will take a look at that. I measure, trust me I measure. The only time I don't measure is when dining out which is maybe once a week. I also think it might be hormonal. I will just keep doing my thing and eventually the tide should turn.

To clarify: Are you measuring everything (solids and liquids), or are you WEIGHING solids and measuring liquids? I had a rude awakening when I started weighing solid foods instead of measuring them. Now, I weigh solids in grams and then convert it on the scale to ounces, if there's no option for grams on here.
  • thinnerrugger
    thinnerrugger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've read quite a few replies and no one has asked you this very important question: How much fruit are you having? If you are truly eating a clean diet, eliminate the fruit, keep doing what you're doing and see if THAT doesn't make a difference. there is a ton of sugar in fruit.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I've read quite a few replies and no one has asked you this very important question: How much fruit are you having? If you are truly eating a clean diet, eliminate the fruit, keep doing what you're doing and see if THAT doesn't make a difference. there is a ton of sugar in fruit.

Fruit is not the problem...
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Fruit is not the problem...

Exactly.

@martinel2099 has the best answer here.

If you really are tracking accurately and not losing weight, then see a doctor. There are medical conditions (rare though they are) that can prevent weight loss.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    a lot of good advice here, but mainly I wouldn't freak out yet if this is only after one week of dieting. depending on how you ate before you started, you might have to stabilize a bit before you see a loss. also please try to enjoy your food or you'll be miserable (if you aren't already)
  • erinknurse1
    Options
    Thank you