any suggestions for extremely sore muscles???? Ouch!

Options
just started exercising on Friday, 1st in a very long time and probably over did it! I am having trouble moving and I know that is what will help! Any thing else?

Replies

• sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Peppermint bath soak... And ibuprofen. :)
  • txsjhawk
    Options
    stretch!!!!! but make sure your muscles are warm first and only hold each stretch about 20 secs. Advil and a salt bath. You can use Epsom salt but generic table salt is cheaper and does the trick. 1c to as hot of a bath as u can tolerate, soak about 20 min.

When you work muscles, it creates tiny tears (which are good, that how they grow) but it also creates lactic acid that builds in the muscle tissue. Stretching right after a workout and when your muscles are warm helps release the build up. Salt helps draw it out as well.

Day 2 is usually the worse but then you should start to feel better
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Do a lot of stretching and keep moving. I also take Arnica. It is a homeopathic remedy for muscle soreness. I'm not sure if it really helps or if it is just mental, but it makes me feel better.
  • Maxxam69
    Options
    Lots of water and advil. 30 hours post workout will be your sorest. Do some light cardio to break up the latic acids. That helps a bunch. If you don't work out after you get sore, you will be sore for days.

When I get sore, I make sure to workout. That only makes it last a day.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    lol, your muscles being sore are telling you something. You need to consume protein to rebuild them overnight, and you need to let them rest for a couple days. That muscle pain is fantastic and you should cherish it, it tends to diminish over time and you'll begin to miss it!
  • SandraH2O
    Options
    I warm my muscles (hot soak) and ice my joints.....and then keep moving! I also take Aleve for the soreness. It seems to work for me ok!!

Sandra :flowerforyou:
  • britia1
    britia1 Posts: 21
    Options
    Try eating some lean protien within 15 minutes after you excersize. Don't forget to stretch as well. Good luck!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Water and protein. Also, If your not injured and only sore. Assuming this was a cardio workout and not weights. Don't take a break day. It will help your muscles loosen back up. It sucks to begin with but after 10 min you should feel much better.