Cross Training Shoes?

Options
Hi there. I've been researching workout shoes, and a few websites said that a person should have two separate pairs if they're a runner like myself -- one for running, which they've had fitted at a specialty store (i do have a pair like this), and one pair for cross training. The idea is that your foot moves differently when running than it does when doing, say, aerobics, and you don't want the shoe to wear the wrong way or in a way that hinders your running.

What do you guys think of this? If you do need cross training shoes, how does one select the right pair for them? Do you just go to any store and find the shoe that's comfortable for you, or is there more involved like there is with running shoes?

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    For the last few months I was wearing my Innov8s for everything except hiking. They served me well. I am not a true runner so max I was running was a mile at the most a couple times a week. I did get fitted for those at a running store and those were the shoes that were suggested to me based on my needs which is mostly bootcamp. I recently some more shoes and i went with more of true running shoes and minimalist shoes. I have to say I prefer more of the cushion in the running shoe for outside and treadmill. The last pairs I bought came from the New Balance outlet and because I know my true size now and the salesman there was knowledgeable they have worked out well. But I do vary .5 sizes in athletic shoes depending on style so for me I prefer assistance with my athletic shoe purchases.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    For the last few months I was wearing my Innov8s for everything except hiking. They served me well. I am not a true runner so max I was running was a mile at the most a couple times a week. I did get fitted for those at a running store and those were the shoes that were suggested to me based on my needs which is mostly bootcamp. I recently some more shoes and i went with more of true running shoes and minimalist shoes. I have to say I prefer more of the cushion in the running shoe for outside and treadmill. The last pairs I bought came from the New Balance outlet and because I know my true size now and the salesman there was knowledgeable they have worked out well. But I do vary .5 sizes in athletic shoes depending on style so for me I prefer assistance with my athletic shoe purchases.

So a running store can fit you for other athletic shoes as well? I wouldn't know because when I was fitted I didn't ask, I knew that running would be my primary form of exercise. I'll have to go to Jack Rabbit and ask some questions about what other gear they have available.
  • OnTheGround
    Options
    I only wear different shoes for lifting. I wear Asics 2000GTs for running and cross training because they are a cushioning and stabilization shoe. So they also have the support I need for cross training, in which I may be bouncing or otherwise causing impact to my knees and back. I honestly don't think it's a super significant difference between how your foot lands in cross training and running unless you're something like a marathon runner or super hard core triathlete. I think you'll be fine, but you need to mentally keep track of the fact that you're putting additional milage on the shoes.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

So a running store can fit you for other athletic shoes as well? I wouldn't know because when I was fitted I didn't ask, I knew that running would be my primary form of exercise. I'll have to go to Jack Rabbit and ask some questions about what other gear they have available.

For sure. At least the two I went to did. My classes involve a 1 mile run a couple times a week, sprint work, plyos, etc, so the shoe they suggested worked for all those things. But I would imagine if I was running more miles they might have suggested a different shoe. Running stores usually have a treadmill and can check your gait, etc. One even wanted me to run around the store outside to test out the shoes.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I've been researching workout shoes, and a few websites said that a person should have two separate pairs if they're a runner like myself -- one for running, which they've had fitted at a specialty store (i do have a pair like this), and one pair for cross training. The idea is that your foot moves differently when running than it does when doing, say, aerobics, and you don't want the shoe to wear the wrong way or in a way that hinders your running.

I agree with the above. Running shoes are designed for forward motion. Cross training shoes are designed for more side to side motion and should give you better ankle stability. Look at the bottom of your shoes and you'll probably see some differences. I don't use my running shoes for anything but running to minimize wear and have a relatively accurate mileage count.

My local running stores only have running shoes so I've bought my cross trainers elsewhere. I would probably see if there is any online information to guide you but otherwise I would go try on a bunch and try moving side to side/ jump around in them to test their stability and cushioning.