Eating clean - frozen food

Options
Hi all

I want to eat clean bit it's costing me a fortune as I can't eat the good quick enough before it goes off and I can't get to a shop regularly to buy it for say 2 days worth etc..

So I was wondering has anyone eaten clean using frozen or tinned food? I know you can get frozen berries and veg and tinned veg but is there anything wrong with eating that rather than fresh?

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating frozen veggies and fruit. I would watch the sodium on the canned veggies and the sugar in the canned fruit. ^_^ I love the steamable veggie bags, too!

Nothing wrong with frozen, just look at the labels on canned fruit and veggies.
  • barronsm43
    barronsm43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been putting my salad greens in mason jars with the regular mason jar lids. Those things, as well as celery, chopped onion, lemon wedges and homemade low calorie dressings keep much longer in mason jars. (a couple of weeks) You can grab one in the morning to take a lunch to work, too, very easy to brown bag lunch to work. Frozen veggies, particularly the organic frozen veggies and berries and fruit, are high quality food. Costco has them at a very reasonable price. I keep them on hand at all times.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Don't know what "eating clean" is supposed to mean, but my understanding is that frozen fruits and vegetables are often as good or better than the supposed fresh ones, as they are frozen quite soon after being picked, whereas the others could be many days from being picked given how much they are transported. This is especially true off season. I prefer the taste of local produce as fresh as possible, but it's not always available just given seasons even apart from price.

Canned is a different issue because it may have more sodium, but check the can. I'm not overly worried about sodium but personally prefer to get mine from salt I add myself, especially since I dislike the taste of canned, but if you like it I wouldn't think it was bad for you, especially if the option is not having veggies.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the spoilage issue! It's like throwing money in the trash. I prefer to eat most of my veggies raw, so I'm always running into this issue.

Frozen is a good alternative. My only problem with some frozen veggies (like broccoli, green beans, carrots, etc.) is I don't like their texture when you cook them al dente, and I don't like overcooking them. I've always got lots of different frozen fruits in the freezer. Just check the nutrition label on the bag and make sure the only ingredient is the fruit or veggie.

Canned veggies is another matter. If sodium is an issue for you (it is for me), just be sure to read the nutrition lable. You can also rinse the canned veggies to knock of some of the excess sodium. I don't know if it's accurate or not, but I read once that you can eliminate around 40% of the sodium doing that.

Canned fruit I typically avoid. Too mushy and overcooked for me.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    You could also go half way... buy fresh and freeze what you haven't used before it goes off.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    eggs are good and easily kept, also tinned/frozen veg are fine and can be cheaper
    i use alot of frozen chicken breast and salmon :3
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Lots of people use frozen or canned, just watch for sodium.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Make soups and casseroles with the excess veg etc and freeze in individual serves for convenience another time.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruits and veggies are fine. Canned is good too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I buy my fruits fresh because I eat enough.

I get a lot of my veggies frozen because I can't eat enough and end up throwing half away, which is just wasteful. Plus, I hate shelling peas. I feel like I oughtta be sitting on the porch with Grandma Walton.

I'm not sure if it fits the definition of "clean" as you define it.
  • mkt_29
    Options
    I agree with the sodium part. Just keep an eye on it. If veggies are canned, its always best to wash them out before cooking them :)
  • FeefWV
    FeefWV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi:

I only get to the store once every 10 days. I buy frozen fruit and vegetables all the time. Lettuce I buy in bulk when I can't grow it. Same with cukes and tomatoes. I always buy a bag or two of apples and have one a day. I just can't eat produce fast enough if I buy more than that. I also try to keep on hand Bob's Red Mill products which go a long way when cooked according to the package: Steel Oats, Flax seed mill, and bulgar wheat. I keep Quinoa in the fridge as well. The only canned things I buy are tomato juice (low-sodium V8) as well as water-packed tuna, and salmon. Quinoa, combined with vegetables can also serve as a protein source. Of all the grains/seeds, it packs the most punch for protein and is better for you than fat-laden dairy products. I keep a dozen of eggs and frozen chicken tenders or breasts on hand. I don't eat red meat or pork. I've also discovered Lifeway low fat plain Kefir and use it to make smoothies with the frozen triple berries I buy. I shop at Kroger but I am sure all stores carry the same products. The "Private Select" brand at Kroger has frozen strawberries, peaches, wild blueberries, and mixed tropical fruit. If you weigh your products before eating, they go a long way AND you're usually spot on when it comes to recording them in your diary. I really have to watch the sodium and limit it to 1500 mg daily or less. Good luck.
  • FeefWV
    FeefWV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yep. I do that with fresh green beans (wash and dice them in in little baggies). I do the same with squash and zucchini.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i use fresh and frozen or canned. mostly frozen over canned, just gotta watch the sodium like everyone has said. it's cheaper and you can build up a supply that lasts a little longer than fresh. but i love fresh so much so i buy that as well frequently.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'd wash it all twice just to make sure it's extra clean
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I personally don't do can because there is just too much to take into consideration, like the preservatives. I try to eat clean and canned just doesn't fit into that picture, for me.

Frozen is GREAT! With many fruits and veggies something the frozen is better for you because it was packaged and frozen very soon after being harvested. Fresh is picked, and then does the long haul to your store.

Frozen will also taste fresh when prepared properly, so you don't really loose anything, you might even add!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Before we can find out whether frozen food is clean, we need to know:
    1. What does clean mean?
    2. What do you hope to gain from eating clean?

If eating clean means eating raw vegan, then no, canned/tinned veg won't do as they will have additives like water and salt. If you hope eating clean will help lower your blood pressure, canned veg has more salt, so it wouldn't be recommended.

If your goal is to lose weight, then stop fretting over which form your veggies come in so long as you know how many calories they have.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    1kg of frozen veg per day here.

Not even dead yet. *touch wood*
  • robbda
    Options
    thanks Everyone!

i like the jar idea... will be stokcing up on frozen veg tonight!