How long does avocado keep once sliced?

Options
I've never prepared avocado myself at home. I was about to cut one open and use it in a sandwich, but I really doubt I will use the whole thing. So my question is how do you store it, and how long does it keep? I don't have any lemon juice, and i remember someone saying it turns brown fast without it? But will it be okay if I just cut it in half and trim the brown edge off tomorrow?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. Eat the rest tomorrow. That's what I do. Avocados are great.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    A little film of oil should work well as well. Just keep oxygen from hitting the flesh, and it won't oxidize. Which is what causes the browning.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If you keep the seed in it, wrap it tight in cling wrap it keeps for at least a day or two.
  • curlergal14
    curlergal14 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I keep the pit in the second half and put it in a tupperware type container or zip top bag and into the fridge. The very top/cut surface will turn a bit brown but I don't bother getting rid of it when I use the second half. Unless it was really ripe to start (read: squishy) I've kept mine for a couple days without a problem.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks everyone for the answers. :smile:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Leave the pit in it and cover it. It will be perfectly fine. If it turns brown, just cut that part off. I keep mine for a few days eating off of it like that. I also try to recover it with the peel from the part I cut off.
  • pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    just leave in the pit!
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You can easily freeze them too..
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I just read a tip from a chef I haven't tried yet.
    Keep the pit in the unused half and put it in a sealed tub (Tupperware/Glad whatever) on top of a slice of onion. Supposedly the onion gives off a gas that helps keep the avocado from oxidizing better than lemon juice or wrapping it.
    If this works, you can use the onion to make guacamole too ;)
  • mandymack14
    mandymack14 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Conventional wisdom in Australia is to leave the pit in the unused portion and smear the cut surface with lemon juice, then store in an airtight container.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Leave the pit in the unused half. Brush or spray the surface with lemon or lime juice. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place, pit side down, in an airtight container. It will be fine for two or three days- some discoloration will occur, but it will still be fine to eat.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I just read a tip from a chef I haven't tried yet.
    Keep the pit in the unused half and put it in a sealed tub (Tupperware/Glad whatever) on top of a slice of onion. Supposedly the onion gives off a gas that helps keep the avocado from oxidizing better than lemon juice or wrapping it.
    If this works, you can use the onion to make guacamole too ;)

I'm gonna have to try this. ALL of the other tips I've ever heard (including the rest so far in this thread) have laughably poor results for me.

I've actually wondered if it could have something to do with the specific type of avocadoes I buy or even the humid climate in my area...because leaving the pit in and putting lemon juice on it and wrapping very tightly with plastic wrap *immediately* after cutting still results in a nasty brown half avocado the next day.

Mostly I just "force" my husband to split each avocado with me so we can use it at once.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Not sure since I eat them just about everyday. Avo's don't last in my house!!
    It does help to leave the pit in and some fresh lime juice on it.

21525558.png
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Buy the little Hass avocados so you can eat the whole thing in one sitting! HEHE
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    I forgot to mention that the skin side sits on the onion slice (cut side up).
    I'll try this tomorrow. The experiment showed good results after three days.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I use lemon juice once I cut into one, to keep it from browning.
  • Kelli0453
    Kelli0453 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I keep the half that I scooped out and put it over top of the half with the pit in it, to make it look "whole" again, and put it in the fridge. That usually keeps it from turning brown.
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Best and only way that I have found that really and truly does work~~
    Cut avocado in half leaving skin on the half you want to save, remove pit, put flat edge face down in a flat bottom bowl, pour enough milk over it to have the bottom of the bowl covered. Cover bowl refrigerate. When you are ready to use saved avocado, take out of milk and wipe the white coating off gently with a paper towel. This works every time with no browning.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    As the others have said, leave the pit in. I store mine in a ziplock sandwich bag and toss a little piece of tomato in the bottom of the bag (don't need much, an inch will do). Keeps it from browning for a few days.

I also have one of these avocado keepers, http://www.amazon.com/Evriholder-Avo-Saver-Avocado-Holder/dp/B001IWONL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409868149&sr=8-1&keywords=avocado+keeper, but I don't think it works any better than storing it in a bag with tomato.
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    As the others have said, leave the pit in. I store mine in a ziplock sandwich bag and toss a little piece of tomato in the bottom of the bag (don't need much, an inch will do). Keeps it from browning for a few days.

I also have one of these avocado keepers, , but I don't think it works any better than storing it in a bag with tomato.
    If the tomato works, I'm guessing it's ethylene gas or something that retards the oxidization of the fruit by oxidizing itself.