Type 1 Diabetic vs. half marathon

Options
Hi!

Early next year I plan to run a half marathon. I was hoping someone might have some advice or information on managing my diabetes during this.

I’m only doing short runs at the moment, starting to build up to longer ones. Currently I just carry my debit card on me, as there are lots of food shops on my route, in case I need anything, but this is not doable on the half marathon route.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks 

Replies

• rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic, so I can't comment on that, but I am a runner.

Look into getting a running belt that can carry more than just a credit card. I have a belt that I use which carries 2 full-sized water bottles and has a pouch that I can put keys, phone, food, kleenex etc. You could probably put a meter in there too. I think it is actually for trail runners, but I like it. I bought it at REI. The Fuel Belt brand makes belts that have more, smaller bottles and smaller pouches. Ultimate brand also makes some belts and even vests to carry stuff. You should train with the stuff you will have when you run the race.

I've known Type I diabetics that do full marathons and triathlons so it is definitely do-able. I bet a little googling will find some success stories.
  • offwithit81
    offwithit81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm Type 1 as well, and have run a few half marathons and a couple fulls. You'll find your insulin needs are going to change the more you run, so testing a lot and adjusting as you go will important (during and after your runs... you'll find you are more insulin sensitive after a run, especially as they get longer). Make sure you have some kind of sugar with you on all your runs in case of lows. I have a fuel belt, like rmdaly mentioned, so always have a gel in there in case, but you can use any kind of sugar that your prefer. As your runs get longer, you will need to make sure you take in some kind of sugar during your run or your blood sugar will drop. I find when my distances get to about 12k or more, I need to take a gel around 45 min to 60 min into my run. During a half marathon I will end up taking 2 or 3 gels to keep my blood sugar up.

I also find it is important to have some carbs and protein after a run. I used to get low blood sugars overnight after running in the evening if I didn't eat enough carbs and protein after my run.

If you are on a pump, I have heard people often temporarily lower their basal rates during a long run. I am on MDI, so don't do this myself, but if you do start having issues with low blood sugars, this is something you could discuss with your doctor.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    You've set a wonderful goal for yourself! Sheri Colberg's book "The Diabetic Athlete's Handbook" is an excellent source of information to help you figure out how to manage blood sugar as you ramp up your distance. It's important to carry your meter with you and test periodically while you're running so you learn how your body reacts to the miles. Have fun! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks guys. Might hit the sports store on the weekend and look into gels and a running belt.

I currently take hardly any insulin (none after 1pm) and am having trouble with over night lows from running in the afternoon. So im always testing and redoing insulin calculations. fun stuff!