Question for the Ladies...

Options
All right... hope you guys don't think I'm a complete idiot for asking this, but can anyone explain to me exactly how your menstrual cycle can affect weight loss/gain?? Obviously, I understand there is water retention involved, but I guess I never have dealt with my cycles and dieting at the same time (I suffer from PCOS and rarely have a period on my own.) I hear a lot of complaints about how diets suffer during "that time of the month," but can anyone clarify for me when that might be? Is it always at the beginning of your cycle? Or does it cause fluctuation at multiple times during your cycle?

Sorry for asking such a weird question...

Replies

• BetterVersion
    Options
    All right... hope you guys don't think I'm a complete idiot for asking this, but can anyone explain to me exactly how your menstrual cycle can affect weight loss/gain?? Obviously, I understand there is water retention involved, but I guess I never have dealt with my cycles and dieting at the same time (I suffer from PCOS and rarely have a period on my own.) I hear a lot of complaints about how diets suffer during "that time of the month," but can anyone clarify for me when that might be? Is it always at the beginning of your cycle? Or does it cause fluctuation at multiple times during your cycle?

Sorry for asking such a weird question...
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    It sounds like it is different for everyone. I used to gain almost 5lbs with each cycle, and I would start to put it on about a week before it started. But since I have been working out and drinking a lot of water, I have only put on about 1lb and it's usally only a day or two before it starts. Before it might take me two weeks to drop the water weight, but thank god that's over with. I am sure I will still have some heavier water gains in the future, but you just literally go with the flow...
  • ginnie
    ginnie Posts: 44
    Options
    i so feel you , i eat and eat a week before but so far this time its been a lot better, and no cramps! well...so far. but yeah it's diffrent for everyone. i think drinking water help's so much.
  • Lexino
    Lexino Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think the two biggest problems during TOM is cravings for sweets and water retention. But it's just temporary...I just don't weigh myself during that time...it's to depressing (even though Iknow it will go away!) I just don't like seeing that bigger number!:noway:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I've found that I tend to lose extra weight right before my period...but my new exercise routine is messing with my cycle something awful. I have it right now...two weeks early...when I used to have it like clockwork *sigh*
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Okay-Your body produces different levels of hormones during that time of the month. These hormones, in addition to increasing food cravings, induce blood cell production, change the ph of your body, and cause your period to start. Your metabolism is increased, and your body senses that you need to "heal." Hence, the increased appetite. Your body retains water for two reasons: first, your ph has changed, and second, your body needs the extra water in order to "repair" itself.

At least that's what I was taught 10 years ago.
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    Okay-Your body produces different levels of hormones during that time of the month. These hormones, in addition to increasing food cravings, induce blood cell production, change the ph of your body, and cause your period to start. Your metabolism is increased, and your body senses that you need to "heal." Hence, the increased appetite. Your body retains water for two reasons: first, your ph has changed, and second, your body needs the extra water in order to "repair" itself.

At least that's what I was taught 10 years ago.

What she said, lol!

Personally, I retain about 10 pounds of water during during TOM. My period only lasts 3 days and the pounds usually vanish about a week later.

I don't have cravings, but I do experience a slight increase in appetite.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm also always up a couple of pounds on days 27,28, then 1,2,3,4.... If a weigh in is during those days, I typically wait until day 5 or 6 to weigh, and just enter it late.

Don't get discouraged by it though - as it is only temporary!
    :flowerforyou: