My Scale Sucks- Anything more accurate?

Options
I can't stand my scale. Sure it gives me a general weight of where I am, however I can step on it it will say 285. I will step off and step on again, it says 286. How did I gain one pound in a matter of 10 seconds?

Since my target goal is 2 pound weight loss a week, I need something to be accurate. I have a Taylor brand digital scale that I bought at Target a year or two ago. Are there any scales out there that are known to be more accurate than others or do they all vary within a pound or so? I just want something that reads the same weight when I get on and get on it again. I am starting to think maybe I need to weigh myself 3 times and just divide by 3 for the average.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What's this? The OP is overthinking something again? I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I say.
  • makemyfriendsfat
    Options
    Is this a digital scale that you are using? I've had scales do this too. Although getting a smaller number on the scale is good, don't be too bogged down in the exact number. Sometimes it takes a couple weeks of eating right and working out to see the number get a lot smaller!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    A measuring tape is far more accurate and displays your true progress.

As for a scale, sorry I got nothing. I use a cheap non-digital one from IKEA so I only see when I lose a full pound or so.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Remember that even though a 2 pound per week loss is your goal and your numbers all add up to that on paper, rarely does it ever happen in reality anyway.

I say, keep your scale and don't spend any more money on scales. Use it once per week and record the number progression over time...a lot of time, not just from one week to the next.

I also agree with the others that tell you to measure with a measuring tape because it is more accurate. You can actually weigh the same or even moreso than before with less body fat making you actually a smaller person, even if the scale is being mean. So, measure AND weigh yourself, keep records for quite a while, and enjoy the progression. It won't happen immediately.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I can't stand my scale. Sure it gives me a general weight of where I am, however I can step on it it will say 285. I will step off and step on again, it says 286. How did I gain one pound in a matter of 10 seconds?

Since my target goal is 2 pound weight loss a week, I need something to be accurate. I have a Taylor brand digital scale that I bought at Target a year or two ago. Are there any scales out there that are known to be more accurate than others or do they all vary within a pound or so? I just want something that reads the same weight when I get on and get on it again. I am starting to think maybe I need to weigh myself 3 times and just divide by 3 for the average.

Weigh yourself once a month. Take measurements every two weeks or bi-weekly whichever comes first. Next caller. . . .
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    good advice lyadeia

davpul- yep! and I caught your attention so you must have been intrigued.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

I'm a data nut... so I feel your pain. For whatever reason (OK, I'm an Engineer, that's the reason!) having the DATA keeps me motivated.

I love my Withings Smart Body Analyzer. The app lets me view my progress over 1/3/12 month intervals. And I can keep track of my kids growth, etc. It's a good tool. I've tested the "multiple weighings back-to-back" a few times, and it's always consistent.

There's other smart scales out there that are equally good, I'm sure.
  • mhlew
    Options

I'm a data nut... so I feel your pain. For whatever reason (OK, I'm an Engineer, that's the reason!) having the DATA keeps me motivated.

I love my Withings Smart Body Analyzer. The app lets me view my progress over 1/3/12 month intervals. And I can keep track of my kids growth, etc. It's a good tool. I've tested the "multiple weighings back-to-back" a few times, and it's always consistent.

There's other smart scales out there that are equally good, I'm sure.

Haha I guess you hit the nail on the head as to why I am so OCD with my numbers. I too work in a field where I analyze numbers and even 1% more or less in my line of work makes a huge difference. Same goes for what I see on the scale although I do and try and take it with a grain of salt so I don't get discouraged.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    How your clothes fit is pretty good for tracking your loss. About every 10 lb you change a size (I'm not sure it's the same for morbidly obese). I'm actually down two sizes in 30 lb, so I guess more like 15 lb per size.

Anyway, the scale isn't necessary. Also, I only weigh myself every other week and I don't own a scale.
  • mhlew
    Options
    How your clothes fit is pretty good for tracking your loss. About every 10 lb you change a size (I'm not sure it's the same for morbidly obese). I'm actually down two sizes in 30 lb, so I guess more like 15 lb per size.

Anyway, the scale isn't necessary. Also, I only weigh myself every other week and I don't own a scale.

That is great it works for you however I disagree on not using the scale. In my opinion and what has work best for me is being honest with myself on what my number is on the scale, however I should not obsess over it. I do agree with how clothes feel as well