protein overdose!

Options
Hi All!

I just started on myfitnesspal today! I lost about 30lbs last year then went off my diet for about 4 or 5 months. Now I'm trying to lose another 10-15. I've gone back to eating the same way I did when I was losing weight last year. I was only really counting calories and fat.

I started logging my meals and everything looked great! But I'm only through lunch and I have 1 gram of protein left for dinner and snacks!! ACK! If I eat a normal dinner (and have yogurt as a snack as planned) I'm sure I'll be about 20-30g of protein over.

Does anyone see this as a problem or a potential hindrance to my weight loss??

Replies

• LongLiveJen
    LongLiveJen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I have excess amounts of protein and fiber. I'm curious to see peoples responses as well.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your protein at 15% of total calories (quite low) nutritionist recommend 10-30% 20-30% for those that workout. That being said you can still eat a balanced diet and consume double the protein as set out on MFP's defaults.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I don't think unless it's HUGE amounts too much protein will hurt you. I'm almost always over in protein.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your settings are. The MFP default protein setting is much lower than I like to aim for. If you like, you can go into your goals settings and custom change the ratio of carbs, fats and protein you want to consume.
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising, particularly strength training, it's no big deal because your muscles need it to repair after a work out. However, if you aren't exercising, I wouldn't try to get your protein intake too high.

http://www3.georgetown.edu/admin/auxiliarysrv/dining/nutrition/protein.html
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm over a lot as well, but I think the site has protein set pretty low
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think mfp's protein setting is WAY too low. Humans need protein.

I like a high protein diet, it keeps me fuller and feeling much better.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yeah my protein total for the day is 45 (so I expect to be around 65-70 by the end of the day). I like a high protein diet too - I'm terrified of being hungry!

Good point on the weight training! I tend to way more weight training in addition to cardio anyhow (why spend hours burning calories on the treadmill when my muscles can do it for me when I'm sitting too!)