Finished C25K! (My Journey and Tips from a New Graduate!)

Options
2»

Replies

• optionalsourcewins
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! This is one of my goals and I am so happy and inspired by this post. Thank you for sharing your experience!!!
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm also having some weight loss success with 8 pounds lost in the first 4 weeks. I can't wait to start running for longer periods, but will just have to build up to it. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting! I started this program two days ago (finished Week 1 Day 1)! I am doing Day 2 tomorrow.

Way to go! :flowerforyou:
  • AShannon54
    AShannon54 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I like that people pointed out to take it slow. That is so true. I didn't focus on speed at all. It took all my effort just to get through the workouts (let alone be concerned about my times). One last quote I thought was great that goes with this point - "persistence, not perfection"
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

My Own Personal Tips (just from my own experience) –
    Don’t listen to the voice inside your head that says you can’t do it.
    • Before each workout think about why you are running – when you start to feel weak focus on that. (mine was my family)
    • Take long, deep breaths as much as you can. When you start take short, shallow breaths you get side cramps.
    • Have a good pair of ‘real’ running shoes (and good socks to prevent blisters).
    • If you are a girl (especially large chested) invest in a good sports bra. A brand called ‘Moving Comfort’ was suggested to me and they are nice.
    • Music helps out, get a good playlist or a give ‘Rock my Run’ a try (I did the free version which was cool so I upgraded)
    • Get ‘Map my Run’ on your phone. It was great to look back at my routes and times. (again there is a free version to try first)
    • Don’t eat much an hour or two before you run (that might just be me though).
    • Sign up for a ‘real’ 5K race for a couple of weeks or so after you should finish the program. It will motivate you to keep training.
    • Stick to the program – don’t try to do more to get through it faster. I alternated every other day and only ran the amounts instructed.
    • Take time to stretch after your workout. Dull aches/pains are ok and usually go away with stretching and a day of rest. Sharp pains might be a real injury.
    Lastly – Don’t listen to the voice inside of your head that says you can’t keep running. (this is so important I listed it first and last!!)

So true! Running is just as much of a mental workout as it is a physical workout. I've been running for a little over a year now and I still have to work at silencing that voice.

There are some runs that I actually have to say out loud "I can do this!" in order to get through it, even though I've easily managed that same run in the past. It reminds me of this:

whether-you-think-you-can-or-can-t-you-are-right-henry-ford.png
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! And thank you for taking the time to share some tips and provide insight.
  • summer92008
    Options
    This is awesome! I started jogging today for the first time, so some on here mentioned C25K, so I downloaded the app and plan on starting Sunday. I'm excited! Your tips are really good, too! It's nice to see someone else on here who just finished it. Hopefully I can finish it, too, and drop some extra weight in the process!
  • bmaine22
    bmaine22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is the first I've heard of this app! Downloading now :) Running use to come very easy to me but running just 1 mile on the elliptical the other night had me feeling like my lungs were about to collapse. This sounds great to get back my stamina!
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    wooohoo! I am on wk 3 now!
  • Antigone
    Antigone Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I was trying to just run on my own for awhile and felt like I wan't getting any better but I think it was mostly because I had no real way to track progress. Yesterday I finished Week 2, Day 2 and I feel like I can run a lot longer than 90 seconds but I keep promising myself to NOT skip ahead and hearing you say it too encouraged me to stick to the program as it's written.

GREAT JOB!
  • crzdirector
    crzdirector Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    C25K is awesome!!!! I completed it about 7 years ago and it showed me I do like running. Even though I've fallen off the wagon several times; I always come back to the things I learned with the program.

Congrats and keep going!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Nice work and great tips!!!! :happy:

21525558.png
  • caswilso
    Options
    Congratulations!! If all works as planned (and if the rain would hold off until I get finished running...) I should be finishing up c25k next Saturday! All of your tips are spot on, though! When you think you can't do it, remember why you started!

I am planning on jumping straight into the Bridge to 10K. Anyone else doing this?
  • alnovasad35
    alnovasad35 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your post! I have downloaded it and at first tried to be faithful to it. I WANT to become a runner so badly, but I HATE RUNNING! I have been stuck on Week 5 Day 2 for a few weeks now...only because I know that Week 5 Day 3 is going to be so hard! I can walk 4-6 miles a day ranging from 3.8 - 4.1 pace. I should be able to handle this running thing, but I just dread it :cry: Will I ever learn to LOVE it?!?
  • TexasDarling09
    TexasDarling09 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite posts I've ever read on MFP. I ACTUALLY (no lie, no exaggeration) want to try C25K now.
  • craziwrld
    craziwrld Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded and did my week 1 day one workout today lol. I am not a runner, I love the idea of it though, but I have knee problems and asthma, so we don't mix well. So I will be doing mine on the elliptical, but that's ok, because I'm doing it! Thanks for the encouragement, it was perfectly timed for me lol
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    O.p. congratulations on finishing the C25K!! I've done it before but have fallen off the fitness wagon :( . I am actually starting over on the program today and looking forward to it. Hopefully I will be able to finish outdoors before winter hits; otherwise treadmill here I come (but I HATE treadmills lol).

@craziwrld.....I also have exercise induced asthma and knee problems. I use my inhaler before every run and I either use a knee brace or kiniseology tape for my knee....or both. My knee has been really bad this summer so when I go out today I believe I'll be doubling up on the support for safety sake. Good luck to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!