Should I use sugar or sweetner on my morning cereal?

Options
2»

Replies

• GremlinJenny
    Options
    lol... when we were younger, my brother used to add NUMEROUS tablespoons of sugar into Frosted Flakes, like 10 spoonfuls. ?!?!??! lol... he was a kid afterall.

i actually don't generally eat cereal so i can't be of much help. the only thing close to cereal that i occasionally consume is a flax oat mix that is more, raw grain & oats than cereal. lol...

i do agree with most here that if i were to choose btwn the two, i'd go with sugar. absolutely. i dont think ive ever voluntarily had sweeteners in my life.

good job keeping aware and conscientious in your decisions!
  • deandp371
    Options
    Adding a little sugar for taste to something like oatmeal can't be all that bad! You can get unrefined cane sugar and there are alternatives as mentioned.
  • salmonpi
    Options
    I like molasses in oatmeal. Flavor and sweetness, plus a little iron and B vitamins.
  • dandynick
    Options
    I like molasses in oatmeal. Flavor and sweetness, plus a little iron and B vitamins.

That sounds quite good! Can it be just regular cooking molasses?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I don't add either. I usually add a bit of cinnamon to the water for I add the oats so the flavor of the cinnamon cooks into the oats themselves and I just eat it like that. I've considered throwing in some fresh blackberries, but always just end up eating it straight and having the berries separate.

Oh, there was once that I reconstituted a pack of Brothers Strawberry and Banana Fruit Crisps in the water that I made instant oatmeal with and that was really tasty and had a great sweetness which came solely from the freeze-dried fruit.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    the real problem with artificial sweeteners is that they tend to numb the pallet. so you end up using more and more and more. then when you get real sweets real sugar they don't taste as sweet, down right bland really.

for example, my father has suffered from diabetes since he was seven years old, first his mother then his wife insisted that there never be refined sugar in the house, just a steady supply of bananas "in case" and artificial sweeteners, first aspartame then nutrasweet, and eventually sucralose. needless to say I never really experienced sugar except on special occasions, so I never really developed a sweet tooth, and I'm certain the same is true of my father. that is until about 6-7 years ago when his doctor told him that he needed to get his iron up, they where so low it was nearly critical so he started replacing his splenda with black strap molasses, as a result the switch made it easier for him to control his blood sugar. so when his iron got back up he started cutting back on the splenda and eating more sugar. today he does about a 50/50 mix and the same is true not is his sugar easier to control by adding in the sugar he uses a lot less of both.