Sweet potatoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    They are my #1 go to carb source when I'm cutting. Because to me, they taste like candy. I peel them, slice them like fries, add a bit of brown sugar and butter or olive oil. Nuke for 7 min, then put in oven at 200 c for 25 min turning twice.

Yummy!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I make a bunch up at 1 time...in the oven with foil covering the pan.
    I don't add anything because its already a "sweet" potato (for me)
    Then as I want throughout the week all I have to do is get a little heat from the microwave to warm it up!
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes, but then again I'm from the south and I have yet to meet a vegetable that I don't like.

My favorite way to eat sweet potatoes is to cut them into thick strips and then fry them and salt them like thick-cut french fries. My favorite low-cal way to eat them is to wrap them in foil and bake them at 425F, and then eat it with a tablespoon of cream cheese, Neufchatel cheese, or even blue cheese crumbles. I eat the skins either way.

I also like them diced and roasted with other diced root vegetables, such as beets, rutabagas, carrots, garlic, turnips, potatoes, and onions. I'll toss all of the veggies in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and whatever herbs I feel like throwing in, and bake at 350F until everything is tender.

Edited to add: oh, yeah, and parsnips are good in that mix also. And shallots.
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    But honestly, if you prepare them a few different ways and decide you don't like them, don't bother buying them again. We've all got some tastes we love and some we hate, and food doesn't need to be torture :)
    I'm going to disagree with this a little bit. Tastes change and tastes can be acquired. If you try something that you don't like enough times, you can acquire a taste for it. I absolutely hated the taste of grapefruit for like 40 years of my life, but I kept trying it, and now all of a sudden I freaking love grapefruit and eat one just about every day.
  • DesertStar86
    DesertStar86 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    LOVE sweet potatoes - I never eat them as a dessert though (I think that's an "only in America" thing).

Super lazy: Mircowave for 8-10 mins & serve with cream cheese or sour cream etc. Quick and easy for lunch or dinner.

Also sweet potato fries or wedges (baked), sweet potato and roasted red pepper soup, add them to vegetable curries, sweet potato and chickpea stew, chicken & sweet potato curry. Pretty much anywhere you'd use a regular potato I will use sweet potatoes or butternut squash (if you find you like sweet potatoes, butternut squash is similar enough and super low calorie which can be a life saver if you're short on cals but need carbs). Sometimes I just roast them along with beetroot, parsnips, whatever other root vegetable and just eat those for dinner with yoghurt dip. I don't eat a lot of meat and luckily ADORE veggies.

I think I know what I'm having for dinner tonight...
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Bake until soft. Eat.

*adds sweet potato to the grocery list for tomorrow* Mmmm
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    But honestly, if you prepare them a few different ways and decide you don't like them, don't bother buying them again. We've all got some tastes we love and some we hate, and food doesn't need to be torture :)
    I'm going to disagree with this a little bit. Tastes change and tastes can be acquired. If you try something that you don't like enough times, you can acquire a taste for it. I absolutely hated the taste of grapefruit for like 40 years of my life, but I kept trying it, and now all of a sudden I freaking love grapefruit and eat one just about every day.

This is a good point. At the age of 44 I have quite suddenly become an eggplant-liker. I disliked cilantro until my mid-30s and now it's something I buy every week.

Though there are some people who simply don't like to try new things. Or for that matter, people (like me) who will give something like eggplant a chance, but simply aren't feeling it at this time. ("Nope, still slimy and weird. See you again in about 5 years, eggplant!"). You do have to honor your tastes, I think.

Yay for OP for giving sweet potatoes a chance!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I also agree, it's good to be open to trying things once in a while even if you think you don't like them. I used to HATE bell peppers - couldn't even stand the smell of them being chopped. Now I include them in several recipes and even snack on raw ones now and then. My husband claimed to hate beets but tried them recently and realized they're not that bad.

Anyway, I digress. Sweet potatoes... Easiest is, as said many times, microwaved. Cut off any bad parts of the peel, poke a few times with a fork or knife and microwave until done. I think in my machine it only took 4-6 minutes but depends on size of potato and strength of microwave. Then I'd wrap it in foil and thow it in my purse. Got to work, pulled it out, still a bit warm and ate it like an apple, peel and all (that's where a lot of nutrients are). If you've got a bit more time to eat at home, cut it up into bite sized pieces and add a little butter and cinnamon.

My other favorite is adding it to my oatmeal batches along with apples, pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger. Yum!
  • vtemp2013
    vtemp2013 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! I ended up roasting it and adding a little bit of butter and light brown sugar once it was done. It was actually soooo good. Much better than the sweet potato casserole (complete with marshmallows--bleh!) that we have every holiday. I'm glad I finally gave them a chance! Looks like they'll definitely be going on my weekly list, and for .49 cents a piece, I can't say anyone would blame me.
  • DSFfit
    DSFfit Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bake or microwave, remove from skin. Open a can of refried black beans. Place a few spoons of beans and a few spoonfuls of the cooked sweet potato in a flour tortilla. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Microwave until the cheese melts and enjoy.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Basically, anything you can do with a potato you can do with a sweet potato. Make sure when peeling to peel "deep enough." If you still see a yellowish layer, peel again or that layer will turn grey, chewy, and bitter in cooking.

Wrap in foil, skin on, and roast in the oven until you can easily poke a fork through. It will fall right out of the skin. Mash and eat.

Peel, slice thinly, layer in a pie plate for a gallette. Brush each layer with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, maybe some herbs, parsley, whatever.. Bake until all layers are soft. If it seems to be getting too brown on top before cooked through, cover with foil.

Cut in sticks, eat raw. Dip in hummus for extra yumminess.

Cut in sticks, salt and let sit to draw out water about 30 minutes. Shake in bag of flour to coat lightly. Dip in beaten egg. Put in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with silpat, stick-free foil, or parchment paper. Bake until crispy outside and soft inside.

Peel, cut in sticks or cubes, toss in vinaigrette (Italian) dressing. Bake until soft through.
  • makemyfriendsfat
    Options
    I loooove sweet potatoes. My favorite is fried but that isn't especially diet food. If you fry them in olive oil they aren't as bad for you. And I put chipotle and seasoning salt on them. Or put baking them in the microwave with those seasonings is good too.
  • JoyLaine
    JoyLaine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm a purist ~ just slowly baked releases the natural sugars.
    When I really want to mix it up I'll slice some up along with a potato and some slivers of sweet Walla Walla onion then fry it in a little olive oil. Tasty!
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I make a bunch up at 1 time...in the oven with foil covering the pan.
    I don't add anything because its already a "sweet" potato (for me)
    Then as I want throughout the week all I have to do is get a little heat from the microwave to warm it up!
    I do the same thing. Sometimes, I add cinnamon. I dig the sweet/savory thing, so I usually have mine with cinnamon and grilled turkey tenderloin, with a slightly spicy marinade. It makes my tongue happy. :)
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My favorite sweet potato dish isnt really a sweet potato dish lol. I make a nacho cheese dip out of it from blog.fatfreevegan.com. It doesnt taste like nacho cheese, but it is very tasty.
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My favorite sweet potato dish isnt really a sweet potato dish lol. I make a nacho cheese dip out of it from blog.fatfreevegan.com. It doesnt taste like nacho cheese, but it is very tasty.

I did go to the site you mentioned, clicked on "search recipe database" then "appetizers and dips". Are you referring to the "Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce" recipe on there? It looks *really* yummy!! It looks *very* similar to something I used to snack on all the time (and I had to cut it completely because I like it too much). Velveeta and Rotel dip....but this one looks like a pretty close second (maybe even better). I'm totally going to buy the ingredients for this...it looks delish (and healthy).