Hi I'm New

Options
Okay, I'm new and I've been tracking for about a 2 weeks now, but I'm a little confused... Am I really supposed to be eating back the calories that I burn during my workouts? Does this defeat my goal of a calorie deficit?

Replies

• KatieJoDunlap
    KatieJoDunlap Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great guestion!!! I have the same exact one. I am looking forward to seeing the response you get.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi YES, you should eat back all if not at least half of you exercise calories. When you joined up and told MFP your goals for losing weight they already calculated a deficit based on information you gave and your BMR so if you don't eat you exercise cals you are going into further deficit which is not good.

Please go to the General Diet and Weight Loss Help forum and read the sticky threads at top of page. Most of the information you need is there.
  • 2blueeyes
    Options
    You certainly can but you don't have to! If you want to loose more quickly, don't even log your exercise and then you won't see the extra calories, etc. that are available to consume. Sometimes you just need a little extra for something special but if you only use them once in a while, it will level out perfectly. Don't starve yourself, that will only hurt your motabolism. If you are burning off a lot of cals you should try to eat some back, at least half so you don't hurt yourself!
  • peg0903
    Options
    Hi, I'm new too and I wondered the same thing! It seems if you want to "jump start" your weight loss you should not "net out" the fitness calories.

I burn about 500 calories a day and my calorie goal is 1,200. Is it really BAD to not figure the fitness into the daily calories?
  • Smays1208
    Smays1208 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that info! It's seems strange but it makes sence so I'll go with it and see how week three goes.
  • peg0903
    Options
    I wish the tracker had the option to net out only half of the exercise calories...I'm not missing that capability somewhere, am I?
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
  • peg0903
    Options
    Very good - I'm going to go with this and hope I don't gain! It seems like alot if you burn 500 calories a day to do this, but I'm going to give it a shot - thanks!