Any long distance walkers?

Options
Recently I started taking up walking long distances. Usually I will walk for around 3 1/2 hours straight with minimal to no rests (but always carry water on me in a backpack). Today was bad thought because my shoes gave me some rather nasty blisters on the bottoms of my feet. This week I have so far walked around 30 miles total. Just wondering if anyone else does this or even hikes. Really good exercise and very relaxing.

Replies

• SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I walk around 8 km every day and run 10+k three times a week. I got two dogs who need their walks and who got me into long walks. From time to time a couple of hours hiking is great too, but all of it is time consuming and I don't have always the time to do hikes.
    Love it though!
    Stef.
  • DeterminedbyGod
    DeterminedbyGod Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm not a distance walker YET, but I have a feeling I will be. I walk at least a mile or 2 just Fr excercise. Walking gives me a lot of peace especially when listening to music. I don't know on avg how many miles I walk, I'm sure it's probably what I stated above. I may start to increase miles because of the peace I get with walking
  • James9090
    James9090 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I walk around 8 km every day and run 10+k three times a week. I got two dogs who need their walks and who got me into long walks. From time to time a couple of hours hiking is great too, but all of it is time consuming and I don't have always the time to do hikes.
    Love it though!
    Stef.

My dogs can't make it probably longer than a couple KM. Short legs lol
  • James9090
    James9090 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not a distance walker YET, but I have a feeling I will be. I walk at least a mile or 2 just Fr excercise. Walking gives me a lot of peace especially when listening to music. I don't know on avg how many miles I walk, I'm sure it's probably what I stated above. I may start to increase miles because of the peace I get with walking

It is very relaxing indeed. I don't personally carry a radio or cd player, just think about things and enjoy the scenery. I did a couple mile on some railroad tracks today and it was challenging, especially going over a couple railroad tie bridges.
  • EmilyPersephone
    Options
    I'm also not there quite yet, but am working towards it. For the last week I have taken to walking at least 3 or 4 miles a night (about an hour ish, since I speed walk on and off). I'm hoping to work my way up to being able to walk 15 miles straight with no rest, but I'm taking it slowly (bad knee and ankle on my left leg) for now.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Earlier this summer I did a challenge hike, 34.7 miles in under 11 hours. It was REALLY difficult, but so much fun.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I don't have a whole lot of time, but I go out for hikes when I can, usually longer. In May, for example, I took a 10-day road trip and visited national parks all over the western US. I drove 6K miles, and hiked 63 miles.

I would have done more, but I had some troubles - for example, I didn't have snowshoes and ended up falling through snow in the Grand Tetons. So I was buried chest-deep and had to dig/pull myself out of deep snow several times before I improvised and started crawling on my shins (to get the effect of snowshoes and spread my weight out over a larger surface area and stop falling through) back to where there was less snow. That cost me about 2 hours / 5 miles. There were other issues that cost some distance as well.

The last hike I went on was a couple weeks ago - 12 miles for a day hike.
  • NYfirefighter
    Options
    I walk anything from 10 to 50 miles at a 4 to 4.5 mph pace
    I also ruck (22 to 30 pound excluding food and water)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Also, I would suggest that, even if you are in an urban environment, you might consider a backpack or at least a fanny pack with some supplies if you are going that distance. You mentioned you carry water, which is good, but you probably should carry a first aid kit and moleskin for those blisters or whatever else could happen, and possibly even a spare set of insoles, a rain jacket, snack, etc. My day pack while hiking is around 15-20 lbs., and that includes a 3L hydration reservoir. Obviously in a city, you should carry ID, money, and credit card because, unlike when I hike, you can take a cab home if you get a bad knee sprain or something.