should i stop taking antidepressants?

Options
i'm taking prozac and it has basically made me not care about what i eat. i ate about 3,400 calories today..a whole pizza with pepperoni from Little Cesar's,a small microwaivable pizza from Ralph's and 3 soft tacos. i also drank 1 liter of diet soda. i spoke to my doctor and she said that i can't quit the psychiatric meds. but what can i do to make myself stop eating like this. all of my hard work in losing the weight is going to waste. BTW - i am also taking Zyprexa and Haldol and those are increasing my appetite.

Replies

• elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i'm taking prozac and it has basically made me not care about what i eat. i ate about 3,400 calories today..a whole pizza with pepperoni from Little Cesar's,a small microwaivable pizza from Ralph's and 3 soft tacos. i also drank 1 liter of diet soda. i spoke to my doctor and she said that i can't quit the psychiatric meds. but what can i do to make myself stop eating like this. all of my hard work in losing the weight is going to waste. BTW - i am also taking Zyprexa and Haldol and those are increasing my appetite.

So no, you should not stop taking your antidepressants...
  • that_tall_girl
    that_tall_girl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Seriously, don't do anything without the advice and supervision of your doctor. Quitting psych meds can cause terrible withdrawal symptoms. If your doctor really feels you need it, it's probably best to stay on them. However, if you both agree to wean off of them, it's not an overnight process. It will take time to do it successfully.
  • Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You should always listen to your doctor.
    Did you tell your doctor about your situation? Maybe they could prescribe you a different anti-depressant that doesn't cause you to eat a lot.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    talk to your psychopharmacologist before you do anything, and for god's sake don't cold turkey stop taking anything! I did that a couple of times and experienced the worst withdrawal.

The problem with people stopping meds is you think you're better because you feel better, but it's the meds that make you feel better. Stopping them will make you feel worse, then will put you back where you were before you started.

That said, after 15 years on meds, I finally was able to stop this year, but only with the support of two psychiatrists and a slow reduction in dosage over about two months.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You don't want to deal with the withdrawal. Trust me. I had to. (Couldn't afford them anymore, and no insurance, and none of the discounts were working for me) It was miserable. We're talking shaking, headaches, exhaustion so bad that I could barely stay awake, anger, etc, etc. It was... miserable.

If you really feel like you are not benefiting from the antidepressant you're on, discuss it with your doctor. They can wean you off of it the same way they often slowly introduce you to it. They could then try you on another med, if that's what you'd like to do.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Not without discussing it with your doctor. You should never stop medication without talking to the doctor first. If she said not to stop, don't stop it.

That's a decent amount of medication. If you started on all of this in the last six weeks, give it some time.

Your physical and mental well-being is more important than how much you eat today.

If you're soooo hungry, try filling up by eating healthier things that have fewer calories - fruits, veggies, a salad.

Hang in there!!
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Don't stop taking your antidepressants unless your doctor says it's okay. I've been taking fluoxetine for several years. My doctor added prescriptions for wellbutrin and podiapn in the last couple years. I can tell you from experience that the withdrawals from not taking your medications are horrible.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Zyprexa and Haldol? Geez! Those turn people into eating machines. Prozac is not your problem and you know that.
    Some people can keep the weight from not going up by staying away from carbs and doing exercise-- especially walking or running. Talk to your doctor. Maybe he/she can come up with a better plan.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Obviously, you wouldn't have been put on so many medications had your doctor not deemed them necessary. If you're trying to watch calories, you're going to have to make smarter decisions on food choices if you're feeling you want to eat more. Instead of choosing a whole pizza with 3 tacos, choose fruits veggies and protein.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I have taken those when I went through my divorce ten years ago.. they were horrible for me. I had zero appetite and almost every bad symptom as far as bathroom issues and nausea, tiredness. I had to get off of them quick. I lost thirty lbs in a couple of months and not the healthy way at all. I will tell you this: daily exercise and being more active is the very best depression medicine you can give your body and brain, hands down. I also belive that eating healthy is really good for you too. Laugh more, listen to comedy stuff or watch silly comedy movies/shows. Fill up your facebook with positive thinking and motivational quotes. Try to get rid of the negativities in your life if you can or work towards doing this. I hate that doctors just want to shove pills down people's throats without really helping in the prevention of depression or other stuff that can be easily cured with food and/or exercise. IT creates happy endorphins, it really does. Listen to happy music and get your groove on and go for more walks. Fresh air and nature makes anyone happy. :flowerforyou: Take things one day at a time and say the serenity prayer and tell yourself I accept myself right now unconditionally and I am working on a better me. That is what I say to myself almost every day, many times a day.

Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyways. :wink: :flowerforyou: I wish you the best. It takes work to be truly happy with yourself but when you reach that point in your life that you can truly believe that life is a gift and it is too short , you will know no better freeing feeling. I promise you this. Blow off the little things honey and appreciate the simple things in life. Dance in the rain so to speak. Life never turns out the way you wanted it too but its the unexpected storms that help you to see the rainbows later on. When you make that choice that you will be happy no matter what happens or what anybody says, you will be happy. It has taken me 37 years to figure this out but I am glad I finally did.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    NO ABSOLUTELY NOT.

You should discuss it with a knowledgeable psychiatrist. When I first went on antidepressants, I gained 20 pounds in 10 weeks but was ok with it since I was not crying all day. Went back to psychiatrist for follow up and he said "oh we have another drug that works in conjunction with prozac that stops the weight gain. It won't make you lose the 20 pounds but will keep you from gaining" and I am like - REALLY - thanks for telling me????? I added that and suddenly, no more weight gain ( sorry I don't remember the name)

anyways there are tons of antidepressants and all work differently on each person. Talk to your doctor and get it worked out.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If your doctor says no, then don't. You don't know how your body will react by going off of them cold turkey, especially if you still need them.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    See if your psychiatrist has a case manager or outreach worker in the office, and then have them see if your insurance helps to cover any kind of weight loss/gym membership that would also cover a personal trainer. If transportation is a problem, and they have a case manager see if they have any information about medical transport, some mental health agencies do, where they help with rides to/from.
  • bex0178
    bex0178 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I hate that doctors just want to shove pills down people's throats without really helping in the prevention of depression or other stuff that can be easily cured with food and/or exercise.

The OP never said the doctor wasn't doing other things to help, and not all depression and psychosis are situational related (i.e. from a divorce.) Chemical imbalances can be lifelong, and the attitude that you can just eat and exercise better to 'cure' yourself just puts the blame on the the person with the disease. This mode of thinking can very much make a person who is suffering feel like they are somehow to blame for not being strong enough or good enough to just 'get over it' as they're often told by people who don't understand the actual medical condition. Food and exercise cannot cure everything.

OP, DO NOT stop taking the meds if you already talked to your doctor. Make another appointement and ask about alternatives. It can often take a long time to find the right balance of medications to control your symptoms without adding additional problems.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    While it's true that the medication could be causing you some problems, you'll face much worse problems than you have now if you take yourself off of them without consulting with your doctor.

Please talk to your doctor about your weight concerns. Hopefully he or she should be of some help. Maybe there is another medication you could try, or at the very least, they could help you get off the one you're on safely? Withdrawal can cause all kinds of terrible problems. Please, talk to your doctor.
  • Rhazula
    Rhazula Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I took myself off Trazadone, Zyprexa, Cymbalta and Klonopin 6 months ago, without a doctor's help and I haven't had ANY psychiatric symptoms...NONE. I told my doctors about my weight concerns and I was told that I'd have to count calories and eventually get gastric bypass. I said NO to both and started eating healthier a few months back. Since getting off my antidepressants, I feel fine. I got to the root of my depression...and it went away and hasn't returned. Everyone's situation is different. Most people couldn't do what I just did without some serious problems. Everyone's body chemistry is very different.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have taken Prozac off and on -- mostly on -- since the early 1990s. When I have gone off to "reset," I've been warned to do it only slowly and under a doctor's direction. Do not go off it cold turkey!

OP's account has been disabled but this is too important not to respond anyway.
  • Kontxesi
    Kontxesi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bex0178 wrote: »
    I hate that doctors just want to shove pills down people's throats without really helping in the prevention of depression or other stuff that can be easily cured with food and/or exercise.

The OP never said the doctor wasn't doing other things to help, and not all depression and psychosis are situational related (i.e. from a divorce.) Chemical imbalances can be lifelong, and the attitude that you can just eat and exercise better to 'cure' yourself just puts the blame on the the person with the disease. This mode of thinking can very much make a person who is suffering feel like they are somehow to blame for not being strong enough or good enough to just 'get over it' as they're often told by people who don't understand the actual medical condition. Food and exercise cannot cure everything.

OP, DO NOT stop taking the meds if you already talked to your doctor. Make another appointement and ask about alternatives. It can often take a long time to find the right balance of medications to control your symptoms without adding additional problems.

Right on. Exercise and diet changes do not cure chemical imbalances. Please.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Rhazula wrote: »
    I took myself off Trazadone, Zyprexa, Cymbalta and Klonopin 6 months ago, without a doctor's help and I haven't had ANY psychiatric symptoms...NONE. I told my doctors about my weight concerns and I was told that I'd have to count calories and eventually get gastric bypass. I said NO to both and started eating healthier a few months back. Since getting off my antidepressants, I feel fine. I got to the root of my depression...and it went away and hasn't returned. Everyone's situation is different. Most people couldn't do what I just did without some serious problems. Everyone's body chemistry is very different.

This is a very dangerous post to share with this many ppl. It may have worked for you, or at least you thought it had no effects but to share it with others may put them at huge risk if they do the same.

As another user above shared the OP is now gone but for you to recklessly post what you did about going cold turkey off all the meds up above.. incredibly irresponsible!! :grimacing:
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    The nausea was the worst side effect. I was nauseated for months. In my case I truly believe I was misdiagnosed. For someone who needs the medications I wouldn't suggest it.