working out right before going to sleep?

Options
What is the general consensus on working out right before going to sleep?

For the next few weeks my only time to work out will be later in the evenings.

I am doing the P90 (not the X, just P90) program and want to continue with it once I start.

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Far as I know, (and I don't know all the exact wherefor and why's), it's not ideal. However, if it's necessary, it's necessary. Evening is the only time I have to workout, so that's when I do it. Still better than not working out. :wink:
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The right time to workout is when you will do it. The only problem with a late evening workout is if you're one of the people that gets too energized by exercise to be able to have a proper night's sleep afterwards. I often workout late at night for the same reason as you and don't have any problem going to sleep. As long as you are getting a healthy amount of sleep, I say GO FOR IT!
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    if you can avoid it and do it some other time great but if that is the only option it's better than not doing it you know. I have a hard time falling asleep after I work out but I would suggest having a hot cup of tea after so it relaxes you. Your adrenaline is running atleast 2-4 hours after a good cardio work out, just be wise and when you absolutely can get it in another time go for that option. Best of luck to you luv. hugs
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I work in the evenings as well because I am a night-owl and the notion of waking early to exercise gives me chills, lol.

I've been working out late lately (around 10:30 or so). It just takes me longer to fall asleep.
  • MinnesotaMommyof3
    Options
    I agree. I think it is said because of not being able to go to sleep. I have 3 kids and don't have the opportunity to work out till after they go to bed and I am NOT a morning person any more than when I have to get up for work! No worries.