4 MONTHS INTO GYM AND WEIGHT REMAINS THE SAME :((((((

Options
124»

Replies

• rocktheboat1
    rocktheboat1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok first of all you already look amazing and you're at a perfectly healthy weight for your height. That being said, I'm fully aware how annoying it is when you look in the mirror and don't like what you see and how crap it is when you can't fit into your clothes (I had a massive sudden weight gain earlier this year).

I've had great success with cutting out ALL processed food (including Quest bars and coconut water) and only drinking water. Make sure you're drinking at least 2l a day - this really helped me to lose weight somehow, and my skin also got a lot clearer which was an added bonus! Make sure everything you're eating is 'clean' - so lots of fresh vegetables, brown grains and lean chicken/fish. I promise you you will see results. I lost weight even faster by cutting down on my carbs - so most of my meals would be largely vegetables and lean protein.

Everyone's body is different, but I hope my experience helps!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    [ Please understand, what you are doing is unhealthy and what you are contemplating unhealthier still. I don't know off the top of my head, but I suspect 50 kilos is underweight for your height. You are already at a perfectly healthy weight, so getting below that will be difficult at best.

Actually 50 kilos is in the normal range for a height of 1.54 metres tall. 60kgs is actually overweight for my height.

I looked it up...apparently 50 kilos is BARELY within the healthy weight range for you height. Also, if you had to keep your intake at 800 cals a day to maintain it, then I'm still gonna say it isn't healthy.
  • dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i don't understand the fixation over a number on the scale

check out this website - http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/why-weight-loss-is-not-the-king-of-achievements/ - in the 2 pics at the top of the page you'll see she has a totally different body composition, although she weighs 130 lbs in both pics. if you scroll down you'll see 3 more pics - at 123, 132 and 137 lbs. make sure to keep scrolling so you don't miss her pics at 140 and 150 lbs. she looks totally awesome and more fit at 27 lbs heavier than her 123 lbs. quite a gain on the scale but the inches lost is incredible!

cut out some of the cardio, incorporate some heavy lifting and eat more.

i'm 43, 5.3" and 179 lbs (started at 185.2 lbs), have had 2 kids, i eat approx 1600 cals most days (some days it's more), have chocolate and ice cream every. single. day., do absolutely no cardio ever (like the only time i'll need cardio is when the zombie apocalyse happens and hey, if i can't outrun someone, i'll just trip someone) and i'm down 6 lbs since January. no it's not a fast loss but it's still a loss just the same. i was lifting weights at home and now i've just joined a gym to get into heavier lifting. i'm only interested in fat loss, weight loss means nothing to me. i want to end up being the heaviest weight i can be but look like i'm 30 lbs less. no one sees the number on your scale, they only see you.

try it, it works. alot of the people on here may seem harsh and blatantly rude, but these are actually the people you want to be listening to....they know what they're talking about.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options

check out this website - http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/why-weight-loss-is-not-the-king-of-achievements

Great website! :love:
    Now her 130 lb pic on the right.......that's what i'm aiming for!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I never said i want to be anorexic! That is not my goal,my goal is to get back to the weight i was in 2012. I am at my highest weight at the moment and i eat healthy. So please when i said proana i meant maybe it could help me lose these extra pounds im carrying,i in no way want to be anorexic

I don't think "proana" means what you think it means.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

Lift weights.

Take more measurements other than a scale. Body fat? Measurements? Clothing sizes?

Oh, and eat more.
  • bluehenjen
    bluehenjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

Lift weights.

Take more measurements other than a scale. Body fat? Measurements? Clothing sizes?

Oh, and eat more.

Yes to all of this. If you don't take in enough calories, you will not lose weight because your body will go into starvation mode and do its best to hang onto every last calorie you consume. The types of calories you consume are also important - sure, people can lose weight eating processed food, but real food is healthier and should make you feel better (not that you need to entirely cut out processed food, everything in moderation). If you are stuck on a plateau, consider going paleo or vegan (but probably not both because it's hard to get all the macros you need when you're both paleo and vegan).

Make sure whatever heart rate monitor you get has a chest strap; it's the most accurate way to measure your heart rate and thus your calorie burn. I have the Polar FT4 and have used it 5 times per week for several years. Get a Fitbit to calculate the number of steps you take - it's been a huge motivator for me at my desk job. Now whenever I use the restroom, I also walk around the perimeter of my office building.

Cut back on drinking coconut water. I love it and it has health benefits, but it's best not to drink your calories.

Lift heavy weights. This helps enormously and you shouldn't bulk up if you're lifting in the 4-6 rep range (for 3 sets per exercise). I put on muscle VERY quickly and lifting heavy has actually stopped me from hulking out. I lift 4 days per week and then do cardio AFTER lifting (this has also helped me meet my fitness goals). You will probably gain muscle weight, but the muscle mass should be dense and not bulky. I'm 5'3", 132 lbs, have ab definition, and lift 25-35 lb dumbbells, depending on the exercise. If you don't have access to dumbbells, you can do body weight workouts...but buying 4 dumbbells is worthwhile. Often people sell them used on Craigslist.

For cardio, do high intensity interval training (HIIT) for part of the time. I do this on the elliptical because it's easy to change speeds. I will do 15 seconds at all-out intensity, then 45 seconds at regular intensity. I do 10-15 minutes of HIIT and then another 10-15 minutes of regular intensity cardio. Again, I do this AFTER my strength training (just FYI, on leg days, 10 minutes of HIIT might be too much at first, so do what you can).

Eat back the calories you burn from cardio. Again, this is really important because otherwise your body will go into starvation mode and you will not lose weight. Aim for 1250 calories per day PLUS whatever you burn doing cardio. If that's not working after a few weeks, also eat back your strength training calories.

Ignore the scale for a while. I know this is hard, but it's also important. Weigh yourself no more than once per week, always at the same time (first thing in the morning, after you use the toilet but before you eat or drink anything). Take body photos and measurements. Especially if you're lifting, the photos and measurements will give you a more accurate reading than a scale. Get a body fat monitor if you think it will be helpful, but again, don't let the numbers define you. (If you get an electronic body fat monitor, you will need to make sure it's programmed correctly and then take several sets of readings over a few days to ensure an accurate-ish number.)

Good luck! Feel free to message me if you'd like.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You're not in a calorie deficit.
    You aren't 'gaining loads of muscle'.
    You don't NEED to exercise to lose weight - you need a calorie deficit.
    You're not in a calorie deficit - it's as simple as that.

^^^ This ^^^

3rd'd, that and you're not going to "quickly gain muscle".... putting mass on just doesn't work that way. Noob gainz, sure possible, but they are normally fairly minimal.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I have always wanted to do weights but my gym is just too packed and there are people waiting in lines to use the weight so i dont want to waste time waiting to use a pair of weights although i only get weekends to try it as the gym isnt so busy then. I gain muscle on my legs quite fast though.

Maybe do what i do.
    I just bought myself some light weights (0,.5kg) and i do a Workout Dvd at home - 'Shaun T Hip Hop Abs'. (Cardio and weights)
    And just get slightly heavier weights when you get more experienced.
    I switched from doing just Cardio because i wasn't really seeing results (plus i think my body just got used to doing the same old cardio workout).
    But since i switched to doing weight bearing Exercise, i've seen a diiference!
    I've also found, that unless you buy a very good (i.e usually more expensive) Heart rate Monitor - some are not that accurate either.
    I normally use this Calorie Calculator here (then lower the number slightly).
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/energyexp.htm But this works well for ME. So maybe go by the MFP calulator and lower the number by around 30-40%.
    Good luck with everything!

Not to sound like a capital "D", but that's still "just cardio"....
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    You said that when you were at a weight you liked you only ate 800 calories a day....that little food can do metabolic damage to your body. Your body was doing everything it could to sustain you on so few calories and that can make it more difficult to lose weight now because it will want to cling to everything you put inside it. Starving yourself further is not the answer, as it can lead to more problems.

Start lifting weights and eating more protein and calories. Lifting weights is a healthy way to speed up your metabolism. Also you mention coconut water several times....just in case you didn't know that DOES have calories, it isn't like normal water so be sure you record that. I like the taste myself and put it in shakes to increase potassium, but you definitely should be logging it! Take baby steps- focus on 1200 WITH EATING BACK EXERCISE CALORIES and adding weight lifting into your workout routine. Stay healthy!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    You're not in a calorie deficit.
    You aren't 'gaining loads of muscle'.
    You don't NEED to exercise to lose weight - you need a calorie deficit.
    You're not in a calorie deficit - it's as simple as that.

^^^ This ^^^

3rd'd, that and you're not going to "quickly gain muscle".... putting mass on just doesn't work that way. Noob gainz, sure possible, but they are normally fairly minimal.

I will say 4th.

You were at 800 cals at one point, and now 1200??
    Too Low.

Do you have a food scale?
    If not, get one.
    Use it.

Good Luck

Also, I have a desk job too.....just sayin
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Go back to the basics. Calculate your BMR and your TDEE.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Weigh your food and don't go crazy on the deficit. It doesn't sound like you have a whole lot left to lose, so aim for around 0.5 or 1 pound of weight per week. After a couple months evaluate your results and adjust as necessary. I don't do cardio for the simple reasons that I do not like it, and it adds more variables to the equation.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options

I have always wanted to do weights but my gym is just too packed and there are people waiting in lines to use the weight so i dont want to waste time waiting to use a pair of weights although i only get weekends to try it as the gym isnt so busy then. I gain muscle on my legs quite fast though.

Maybe do what i do.
    I just bought myself some light weights (0,.5kg) and i do a Workout Dvd at home - 'Shaun T Hip Hop Abs'. (Cardio and weights)
    And just get slightly heavier weights when you get more experienced.
    I switched from doing just Cardio because i wasn't really seeing results (plus i think my body just got used to doing the same old cardio workout).
    But since i switched to doing weight bearing Exercise, i've seen a diiference!

Not to sound like a capital "D", but that's still "just cardio"....

Well, it's working for me!
    When i was just doing "Aerobics" i started losing weight up to a point - then hit a plateau (as i only had around 3 pounds to hit my target).
    I then started doing the Hip Hop Abs Dvd [which is mostly Cardio, but some of the workout routines you can incorporate weights into].
    I've started losing weight again PLUS i'm getting defined Arms, Legs and Abs.
    Even though i'm only using 0.5kg light weights, it has definitely helped!
    I'm not a fan of lifting heavy weights, so this is ideal for me.
    My point is, .......going to the Gym and lifting big *kitten* weights isn't necessary!
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options

check out this website - http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/why-weight-loss-is-not-the-king-of-achievements

DAYYYUUMMM.. That picture in the middle. 56kg to 62.5kg

If that's not a reason to weight train.. Oh. My. Goodness.

Saved and made my phone wall paper. :love: :love:
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I had horrible comments when I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. When calculating exercise burnt calories I always take off 50% on what mfp says or exercise equipment. That way I don't over estimate it. I still have not lost weight but have started to loose inches. I always find it hard to eat 1250 calories but try. Just never have had a huge appetite. I have started to eat snacks on almonds and soy milk to increase calories. Take each day as it comes. Good luck.

I also find it hard to eat 1200 calories a day but when i was at my goal weight in 2012 i was only eating about 800 calories a day,i was at the best shape of my life. Now it just seems like this weight doesnt want to come off. I have been in tears like most of the day because of this silly thing. I should not have stepped on the scale. My tummy feels so bloated though and i dont know why. i drink alot of coconut water and green tea also i have quest bars as a snack. I also need to invest in a heart rate monitor as well as i think my calories burned off and eaten are not accurate. Thank you and yeah people can often be rude and i wrote my question out of pure frustration so im sorry if i offended anyone here with the proana thing.

If you are feeling bloated with so little food have you checked with the doctor, my friend was like this it turned out she was wheat intolant, I'm saying you have a an intolance to wheat (I'm not a doctor) but with the bloating it might be worth taking your food diary to the doctor and see if you are intolarant to anything.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    Options

DAYYYUUMMM.. That picture in the middle. 56kg to 62.5kg

If that's not a reason to weight train.. Oh. My. Goodness.

Saved and made my phone wall paper. :love: :love:

Yeah, that does look good you know! :love: But i know i can achieve that by changing my diet around a bit and doing my Dvds.
    Maybe as i'm naturally quite Muscular, i'm lucky .
    You'll never catch me in the Gym lifting big weights.