Which is the best cardio exercise for bodybuilding

Options
Is there anyone who can help me knowing which cardio exercise is best for bodybuilding.
And what is the best way to do cardio.:smile:

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Errr to build muscle you need to lift not do cardio
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    A big amount of bodybuilders cycle :wink:
  • eaphk
    eaphk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights fast :P

I recommend uphill walking on treadmill, and dedicate 1 or 2 days to 40 minutes plus of this alongside lifting.
  • RonaldoAllen
    RonaldoAllen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Walk,jogging, running and push ups all are good cardio exercises. These exercises provide us more strength and energy and are also good for bodybuilding.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Some of the bodybuilding competitors at my gym prefer power walking on an incline. Not enough 'cardio' to risk losing any lean muscle, but enough for them to work up a good sweat.
    BTW...no holding on to the rails, if done on a treadmill....like I have seen so many cardio bunnies do....that would be cheating yourself out of a good glute workout.....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Walking
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Walking

Yep this.....
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Some of the bodybuilding competitors at my gym prefer power walking on an incline. Not enough 'cardio' to risk losing any lean muscle, but enough for them to work up a good sweat.
    BTW...no holding on to the rails, if done on a treadmill....like I have seen so many cardio bunnies do....that would be cheating yourself out of a good glute workout.....

I really don't understand that sometimes.. Incline walking burns a whole lot of calories. It's excellent cardio. walking 3.5 mph on a 15% incline burns the same amount of calories running on level ground at 6.5 mph does, except your legs don't move as fast. Your cardiovascular system, however, does a LOT of work.
  • h7463
    Options
    It's not about the calories only. Power walking in any way is a great strength workout for the legs. There is a lot more glute work involved if it's done on an incline. Unlike running, there are not a lot of endurance muscle fibers twitching. It's mostly strength, but with a really good burn. That makes it perfect for those who need to preserve lean muscle mass.

In addition, competitors can't risk injuries. Running, especially for those who don't do it frequently, comes with a whole lot of problems, not limited but including rolled ankles..... That's a death sentence for any bodybuilding or powerlifting training....
    Imagine, how much lean body weight they'd have to drag along, compared to a lean marathon runner.... This will ruin months or years of competition prep.....
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Barbell Complexes.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    It's not about the calories only. Power walking in any way is a great strength workout for the legs. There is a lot more glute work involved if it's done on an incline. Unlike running, there are not a lot of endurance muscle fibers twitching. It's mostly strength, but with a really good burn. That makes it perfect for those who need to preserve lean muscle mass.

In addition, competitors can't risk injuries. Running, especially for those who don't do it frequently, comes with a whole lot of problems, not limited but including rolled ankles..... That's a death sentence for any bodybuilding or powerlifting training....

Thank you. I get it now. I've always seen it thrown around and I did not understand why, because it's my main calorie burning workout and it works wonders for that purpose. Now I know why it goes well with strength training.
  • h7463
    Options

Thank you. I get it now. I've always seen it thrown around and I did not understand why, because it's my main calorie burning workout and it works wonders for that purpose. Now I know why it goes well with strength training.

I edited the post....see above for more...

:happy:
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Thank you! Makes sense. :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Barbell Complexes.

HA

I've never seen a single body builder to BB complexs for cardio.

Stairmaster and the treadmill- occasionaly jump roping and occasionally spinning.

LOL- mostly stairmaster- all the ones I know do stairmaster.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Barbell Complexes.

HA

Stairmaster and the treadmill- occasionaly jump roping and occasionally spinning.

I do them, and I have seen them done at my gym. They are an option, not the only option as per the other responses in the thread. *shrug* :ohwell:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Barbell Complexes.

HA

I do them, and I have seen them done at my gym. They are an option, not the only option as per the other responses in the thread. *shrug* :ohwell:

I'm not saying they aren't effective. I like them as well- but they are after slow steady state cardio- rarely anything explosive.

But I've never seen a body builder do them. And I know... lots.