How long is your commute to work?

Options

Replies

• Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    7 minutes in good weather, 11 minutes when it has snowed - both by car. It would be a 25 minute walk in good weather.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    9.9 miles.
    15 minutes.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    13.7 miles. 20 minutes if I drive the speed limit. 15 if I'm late.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    From the time it takes me to walk to my bed to wake up my child. *has a moment* Then, about 10 minutes round trip dropping her off at school and coming back home (the school is a block from our house- sometimes, we walk if the weather is nice). *still having a moment* After being a stay at home momma for five years, my nest being empty during the day is really hard. REALLY hard on me. Yeah, I get my normal daily cleaning done in less than an hour, and things I've been wanting to clean for roughly a year have all been done in less than a week, but *still* I'm having a breakdown.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I work pretty well all over Southern and Central Ontario, so my commute can be as short as 15 minutes or as long as two hours. And then the odd travelling contract like the one I'm on in BC; no car here, so right now it's a 40 minute walk. I love my job though, and I wouldn't trade it for a job down the road; while I don't love the commute, it's worth it to feel like I'm making a difference every day.

Honestly, you need to weigh your pros and cons; if the financial side is a substantial difference, your commute could be worth it, especially if it's for a job you'd love, enjoy, and would potentially further your career.

But what others have said about the fact that losing two hours of your day would suck is true. Really, you have to decide what's more important the money/job or the lost time?
  • Hawkeye_74
    Hawkeye_74 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    80 mins to go 70 miles door to door. Return home is the same. Now on holiday weekends just like labor day recently, 2.5 hours to get home taking all possible known shortcuts to avoid the traffic congestion.
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    10 minutes for the way office that is 6 miles away.... 30 minutes for the 2nd office that is 20 miles away!
  • IMissMySlimmerMe
    Options
    Was 1-1.5 hours. Now 20 seconds (downstairs) as I work from home running my own business :) certainly less traffic!
  • markw24
    markw24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    90 minutes.

Combination of car, train and walking.
  • Patrick0321
    Patrick0321 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    About an hour, 10 minute bike ride, 35 minute train ride, 15 minute tube ride and a couple of minutes walk
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    20 min each way
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    About an hour and a quarter each way - walk, train, tube and sometimes bus. There's a dozen different combinations to get to my workplace but they all seem to work out about the same!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    8 minutes
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    A couple of minutes' walk from the house to the stable / garden / or barn. A little longer if driving to the hayfields.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    anything between an hour and an hour and a half when trains are running fine. When there are trains held, no trains on that line, delays, strikes etc way, way more....
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    No commute. Just walk down the hall to my office. :wink:
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Depending on traffic, 25-35 minutes each way.

The furthest I as willing to travel for work.
    I couldn't handle a 60 min commute each way.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It used to be 60 minutes door to door. I've been slowed down significantly due to having to drive through 4 different road construction sites. And they are getting ready to build a new bridge that I have to drive over, so who knows how THAT will affect things...
  • TrainingToBePerfect
    TrainingToBePerfect Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    1 hour :(:(:(
  • cubiclecurmudgeon
    Options
    Mine used to be 28 minutes or so each way. I switched jobs and now it is between 55-80 minutes, depending on traffic and how many people ran into each other. (I also learned after hiring that I now had a mandatory 1 hour lunch, so the day is even longer.)

It has made a tremendous impact on my life. A tremendously bad one. Less time for shopping, preparing meals, getting tasks done that require daylight. I feel like I work from the time I wake up until I get into bed. I'd take a job closer to home for less pay right this second.

Just a thought. Do the math and see what you really gain.