protein powder help!

Options
rvice2
rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
I'm following the p90x diet and I ALWAYS lack in the amount of protein I should have. I do have EAS simply protein powder (vanilla)and was going to start making some smoothies with it. However, all I can taste is the powder and it just isn't sweet enough! Is there any way to make a protein shake taste a little sweeter without adding frozen yogurt or something of the sort? Currently I use 1 cup frozen strawberries/bananas, 3/4 cup skim milk, 1 scoop powder. Any advice or recipes would be excellent!

Replies

• superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem- I just added a packet of truvia (natural sweetener)
  • trimmingup
    Options
    I add frozen raspberries/blueberries from costco or add 1/4c or 1/2c(depending on calories) orange juice to add a little flavor.
  • Ctucker1962
    Options
    Having tasted EAS products and other brands I can tell you for a fact that your problem is the brand. On a price/taste scale the best out there is Optimum Nutrition's products. I don't work for them, I don't sell them. I have consumed over a dozen different brands and find the ON brand to be consistently higher in quality and of good value. Even if you have to mail order it then it is worth it (available at many online retailers).
  • tsez
    tsez Posts: 10
    Options
    try whey protien it comes in vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate, with some non-fat milk
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Try peanut butter
  • alfroid2k
    Options
    I cheat a little and change some of my milk for Breyers Smooth & Dreamy - Vanilla Ice cream with No Sugar 1/4 cup has 45 cals
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition sells a box of 16 packets with different flavors as samples. Its perfect for trying to find a better tasting version. You can also try trueprotein.com, they do a smaller 5 sample batch. Out of all of the protein powders I have tried, Trueprotein's tastes the best but it tends to be pricier plus they charge shipping by the pound instead of a flat rate. Optimum nutrion is great for the value though as Ctucker mentioned. You can always add sugar to the shake, like Now Foods Dextrose which is cheap.
  • Sherrim56
    Sherrim56 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb's Protein Powder (no whey) and add some agave to sweeten. I also use a low cal fruit yogurt in it
  • NineInchGirl
    Options
    I did P90X :) Congrats on all that hard work you're doing!

The best in my opinion is Optimum Nutrition's Platinum Hydro Whey! I don't think you can get better than that!

Its pure (low carb) no sugar..Just protein :) all the other ones are loaded with sugary crap.

"Platinum Hydrowhey is the fastest, purest, most advanced whey protein we've ever developed. In a word: excellence. By hydrolyzing the protein in this premium formula we've created our fastest-acting whey protein yet. Hydrolyzing breaks larger proteins down into smaller pieces that are able to get into your system rapidly, enabling your muscles to start rebuilding quickly. For added effectiveness, we've also enhanced this revolutionary formula with digestive enzymes and micronized branched chain amino acids (BCAAs). In addition to being fast, Platinum Hydrowhey is also ultra-pure. That's because it's made entirely with hydrolyzed whey protein isolates. So there's no excess fat, cholesterol, or lactose to slow down your progress"

Turbo Chocolate is DA BOMB!!!

Like a reviewer said! Add some peanut butter init and OH MY GOSH!! Or A banana and a few berries and you've got yourself quite a nice treat!!

Hope it helps :D
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Having tasted EAS products and other brands I can tell you for a fact that your problem is the brand. On a price/taste scale the best out there is Optimum Nutrition's products. I don't work for them, I don't sell them. I have consumed over a dozen different brands and find the ON brand to be consistently higher in quality and of good value. Even if you have to mail order it then it is worth it (available at many online retailers).

Totally agree optimum nutrition is my fav after trying many brands..
    Also you can make your own protein bars cheaper and without the junk:
    www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/grunt1
  • vero_1
    vero_1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem- I just added a packet of truvia (natural sweetener)
    This works for me as well. Try a couple different brands of protein too and see if you find one that has better flavor. I use Designer Whey, pricier than most and with less protein g's per serving but also very tasty (I have actually mixed it with a glass of warm FF milk as a treat and added no other flavors and it tastes good even then) wich helps me actually drink the protein shakes and not just look at the powder on my counter dreading the next time I had to make a shake.
  • jeebsah
    jeebsah Posts: 39
    Options
    I've been using GNC Pro Performance Soy Protein 95 Vanilla for about 3 years now, I absolutely love it..and its already sweetened with an artificial sweetener. I add it to my oatmeal/cereal and smoothies. For oatmeal/cereal, I premix it with milk first so its not lumpy, then add to my cereal/oatmeal. I have a smoothie recipe which consist of 1 cup mixed frozen fruit (can be 1/2c of strawberries with 1/2 cup frozen banana), 1 cup skim milk, and 3/4 scoop of GNC Pro Performance Soy Protein 95 Vanilla. You could add frozen yogurt to your smoothie however the only difference between that and milk is probably more sugar, in essence it would be the same as just adding sugar to your smoothie. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Curvyboom
    Options
    I also drink GNC's Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein and love it (chocolate and vanilla.)
  • BeatTheBattle
    Options
    I have to agree with a number of others on this thread 100% Optimum Whey flavoured protein shakes taste good (certainly sweet enough to take the edge off a sweet craving) and for 110 kcal per rounded scoop they are very low in calories (24g protein). It might be worth just buying a new protein powder...
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi! If you can get away with it try not to add sweetner. I will tell you that a dab of apple juice really makes a difference! I have to use it when I drink avocado smoothies with my protein powder. Herbalife has protein powder and it does not taste quiet as bad! best wishes...Shelia!
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Other than using skim milk you could try using a flavored soy milk to help sweeten it. I did this when I bought a non flavored protein powder and it got me through the container.