possible torn meniscus...ideas on low impact exercises?

Options
I injured my knee the other day and the doctors are pretty sure it's a torn meniscus. I have an MRI scheduled for next week to be sure, but until then, I definitely don't want to stop working out. Does anyone have any recommendations on lower impact exercises that I could be doing? I'm encorporating a lot more weight lifting but I'm sure there are other things I could be doing.

thanks!!

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    My advice is to chill on that knee until you have things figured out. Do upper body workouts for now. Youtube has a boat load of workouts.
  • voodoocupcake
    voodoocupcake Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've never torn my meniscus but I've torn my ACL. Swimming is a great low-impact exercise but that was not an option for me personally. After 3 days of staying off the leg as much as possible and icing the knee, I started cycling on a low gear. I feel that was instrumental in retaining my range of motion while still avoiding side-to-side motions that could aggravate the injury. Ask your doctor for recommendations or, if necessary, a physical therapist. It's really important to keep you joint from stiffening up and to keep the leg muscles strong to you don't repeat the injury.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    The upper body portions of kickboxing workouts always get my heart rate to skyrocket. You can do them seated, or if your knee can tolerate it you can settle into a squat while doing the upper body movements.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Rest until you know what's going on. I know it sucks, but it's better to rest an extra week now than mess things up worse and have a longer recovery period later.