needing extra calories....help!!

Options
Here's the story: My calorie goal is around 1200, but since I workout everyday and burn between 500 and 800 calories, I'm left needing 2000 calories. I'm not the type of person who thinks it's great to burn an extra 500 calories while only consuming 1200 leaving my body a pinch of food to survive off of, that is NOT healthy. What I need help with is finding good foods that have calories but without the extra fat and sugar. My go-to items are nuts and Greek yogurt, and even though the nuts are packed with good fats, it's still fat and the yogurt has a lot of sugars. I'm usually left with 200 or so calories that I need to eat at the end of the day. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get those?? (I'm also a vegetarian) Thanks!!

Replies

• glittersoul
    Options
    You can make a fruit smoothie that will be between 100 - 200 cals or a serving of oatmeal is about 150

http://www.livestrong.com/article/285254-highest-of-high-calorie-vegetarian-foods/
  • TrudyLea
    Options
    Air popped pop corn?
  • trimmingup
    Options
    Avocados are healthy but have a decent amount of calories or have you tried protein smoothies? Your working out so much the smoothies would benefit you greatly in your weightloss.
  • tigerblanche
    Options
    Hommus on corn or rice crackers??!! Staple in my diet, especially at work. Cottage cheese is also good, as is the Forme and Diet yoghurt range as they have the least amount of sugar :)
  • enmaku
    enmaku Posts: 24
    Options
    There are huge numbers of "100 calorie packs" for nearly everything, but my favorite < 200 calorie snacks are granola bars. They vary in calorie density so for the same calories you can have something tiny or something rather large depending on appetite, and they usually survive backpacks, cargo pants and glove boxes quite nicely. My big problem is that my job keeps me extremely busy, many days I don't even have time for lunch letalone snacks. That leads to one GIANT meal at the end of the day and one FUBAR'd metabolism :(
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Beer! Light beer has about 100 calories per. 3-4 grams of carbs and no fat :P
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Beeeeeans! fiber, protein, tasty :) I try to eat at least 1/2 a cup a day and my tummy loves me for it.

Do you do dairy? oh, duh of course you do if you eat yogurt haha.. cottage cheese is a good option too :) Relatively low cal, good protein, lower in sugar than yogurt. Super good with a pear or some peaches or pineapple if you want some sweet to go with it. NOM.

Try to find low sodium options for both of those if that's a concern for you but those two are go to snacks/calorie fillers for me :)
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you- workout burns close to 500 calories and I am left still needing a good 400-500 at the end of my day.
    My go to snacks so far:
    EAS carb advantage protein shake
    Yo plus yogurt w. blueberries
    Walnuts
    laughing cow cheese wedge and special k crackers
    special k cereal w. light soy milk

Good luck!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I like a tablespoon of peanutbutter on whole wheate bread or a turkey cheese roll up. 1 slice of american cheese from the deli wrapped around an oz or two of 98% fat free turkey with a dab of mustard.
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    beans
    or
    home made village salad its basically all veggies (tomatoes, green peppers, olives, cucumbers, beets, feta cheese, onions) topped with dressing of choice... i usually have greek

you could also add any other veggies that you want those are just the ones im used to having in it
  • c_woody
    Options
    I am identical to you. I always end up short at the end of the day as well due to working out. Lately I've been making a small salad with the toppings of choice with light or fat free dressing. Or sometimes I just grab a nutrigrain bar.
  • bex1013
    bex1013 Posts: 13
    Options
    thank you so much for the ideas!! grocery shopping tomorrow..... check