Can exercises help define jaw?

Options
I know that general exercise and weight loss will eventually help to thin out and define the neck/chin/jaw area, but are there any exercises that you can do for muscles in those areas that will help define the jawline even more?

I've seen so much mixed information about this on the internet and I don't really know which bits are true, and which are false.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    hmm This I have no idea about. What do you find wrong with your jawline. Only thing I could think of is locked jaw.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say no. My thoughts are that a defined jaw comes about because of less fat in a person's face plus genetics (i.e., some people have that chiseled look and some just don't and never will.) Add to that the idea that you can't spot reduce fat and the natural conclusion is that there aren't specific exercises that will give you a defined jaw. Please note that I have no scientific evidence to back up any of that. It's just my speculation on the matter.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say no. My thoughts are that a defined jaw comes about because of less fat in a person's face plus genetics (i.e., some people have that chiseled look and some just don't and never will.) Add to that the idea that you can't spot reduce fat and the natural conclusion is that there aren't specific exercises that will give you a defined jaw. Please note that I have no scientific evidence to back up any of that. It's just my speculation on the matter.

Id go with this - some people will lose fat from their faces quicker than others - it is what it is. What you can look at is how improving posture/how you carry your head/neck may improve how certain features look.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Eat this in one sitting:

41VHXyCXRzL.jpg
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Eat this in one sitting:

41VHXyCXRzL.jpg

It's a trap!
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Eat this in one sitting:

41VHXyCXRzL.jpg

It's a trap!

Aren't they the ones that make you sick.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, but I do know you can create the illusion of a more defined jaw with makeup (bronzer)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Eat this in one sitting:

41VHXyCXRzL.jpg

It's a trap!

No - these give you wings! It's the sorbitol ones that make you poop uncontrollably.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Eat this in one sitting:

41VHXyCXRzL.jpg

Is that the sugar free kind? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Shimmysista
    Shimmysista Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Eat this in one sitting:

41VHXyCXRzL.jpg

It's a trap!

No - these give you wings! It's the sorbitol ones that make you poop uncontrollably.

OMG I love reading the comments on the haribo sugar free gummies on amazon! I was dying!
  • EmilyPersephone
    Options
    LolHaribo. xDD

Yea, I figured a chunk of it is genetics, and the rest is fat content, but I kept finding information where people "prove" you can and it just made me very confused. Haha
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Eat this in one sitting:

41VHXyCXRzL.jpg

Is that the sugar free kind? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That would be posted under a "gummy bear cleanse/detox" topic :)
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    In the short term try cutting your sodium for a week - it will change a bit as you retain less water.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    My jaw became way more defined when I lost 10 lbs. Personally, I'd focus my energies on something like jogging or biking, or something high calorie burning to get to that goal sooner rather than jaw exercises. Although what could it hurt to try them, right?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    Nope. A defined jawline is one that usually has less fat around it. You can't dictate how your body rids itself of fat with the exception of liposuction.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are exercises to tighten up your neck. http://www.physiotherapy-treatment.com/double-chin-exercise.html

Also another one that a friend used with some success:

Tilt your head back so you are looking up.
    Use your hands to press against your forehead but keep your head still. You should feel some tension in your throat.
    Press for a few seconds and release.
    Repeat 10 times.

You can also try other isometric exercises to strengthen your neck.
    Look down and put your hands on the back of your head and try to pull your head down but don't let your head move.
    Looking straight ahead put your hand on the side of your head and push, again, try to keep your head still.
  • CountryBabe75
    CountryBabe75 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well other than something that isn't really fit to post, try chewing gum.

Basically, your face will slim down and your jaw will become more defined with weight loss, however, there are some people who will be left with baggy skin all over their body that will have to catch up to the weight loss, this mostly happens when your skin isn't very "elastic" and you drop a lot of weight very quickly. If this happens, drinking water and slowing the weight loss gives your skin time to adjust.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Nope. A defined jawline is one that usually has less fat around it. You can't dictate how your body rids itself of fat with the exception of liposuction.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is the correct answer. Work to lower your overall body fat and you will eventually see results.
  • lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The quickest way to define your jawline is with makeup. It's crazy what you can do with contouring!

I checked out your pictures and you seem to have a pretty defined jaw line as it is!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    411FVzIGm4L-necklineslimmer.jpg

/totally kidding. please don't waste $$